ATH-M50, HD-25, or something else?
Feb 27, 2011 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

radiohead91

New Head-Fier
So I have just about 0 knowledge of headphones but Im looking to spend up to $350 CDN for a decent pair.  So far what Ive been recommended the most have been the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and the Senheisser HD-25.  One thing Ive noticed is that theyre both cheaper than my price limit, and Im wondering if there is anything better than these two but still within my limit.

Some things Im looking for...

- portable (college student so will be walking around campus, at the library etc.)
- no 'tweaking' or 'modifying' necessary...im not too good with that stuff Im hoping to buy a pair and listen to them as they come
- no amp needed for it to sound amazing (not quite sure what it is, but it seems like its something for home use)
- comfortable (will be wearing them for hours on end sometimes so dont want my ears to get sweaty quickly etc.)
- good for music like radiohead, pink floyd, solo acoustic performances, and mainstream rock (as well as others, but mainly those)

Any advice is greatly appreciated 
happy_face1.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 7
The m50 will fit all of your needs except for comfort. My ears tend to get warm after 45 minutes to an hours worth of listening and then begin to get sweaty.

Feb 27, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Can't loose with either one. Go listen to them and you make the call. You can read all the reviews in the world but you need to listen to them to see what's best for you.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 7
At this time, there isn't a step up, only sidegrades. This thread should be helpful for your needs, though its utility may be limited if you yourself don't know the sound signature you're after. Nonetheless, I think it'll be beneficial.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 7
Engaging doesn't necessarily equate to better, but yeah, I have heard good things about the hfi-780. The only thing is that the ultrasones, and the m50 for that matter, stretch the bounds of portability. They are both fullsize cans after all. The hd-25ii is a smaller supra-aural headphone, making it more portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back