ATH-M50 for $87.74 @ Guitar Center
Aug 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

NuclearCrap

New Head-Fier
Thought I'd contribute a little after lurking for so long. As you guys may know, CandySave sells some questionable M50 headphones, and I wasn't going to buy from them knowing the risks. However, I dropped by Guitar Center today and saw the M50 in stock, so I took a chance and try to get them to price match. And the result:

Too bad they didn't have the coiled cable version in stock, but $95 after tax for a brand new pair of legitimate M50, I'm not complaining. :D

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 12
Guitar Center is weird like that.

They sell headphones for MSRP or more for the cans

But sometimes you can run in and find a REALLY good deal on some stuff.

But, I like Sam Ash better. I kept getting kicked out of Guitar Center for playing Stairway to Heaven.

At Sam Ash, they love it because I attract customers when I go there and try some guitars.

Aug 26, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
Guitar Center is weird like that.

They sell headphones for MSRP or more for the cans

But sometimes you can run in and find a REALLY good deal on some stuff.

But, I like Sam Ash better. I kept getting kicked out of Guitar Center for playing Stairway to Heaven.

At Sam Ash, they love it because I attract customers when I go there and try some guitars.

The guitar center by me is like that.  They've got m50s, 840s, dt770s, and a few others for terrible prices, but they were super nice about letting me demo them.

The sam ash by me, on the other hand, has a demo booth set up for a large selection of mostly dj headphones.  Thing is, they're all run through some crap amp system that makes them sound terrible.  When I asked to plug the 940s straight into my amp, I got a nasty rejection.

ITT: people on commission try a little harder to make you happy.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 12
My Guitar Center will only match the price of an authorized dealer. Nobody else. Best of all, my location does not accept returns unless defective!
They will only tell you this about 50% of the time. Their excuse was that it was a Michigan "health" policy....uh huh.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 12
It's like that for most of the rest of the world :l

Quote:
My Guitar Center will only match the price of an authorized dealer. Nobody else. Best of all, my location does not accept returns unless defective!
They will only tell you this about 50% of the time. Their excuse was that it was a Michigan "health" policy....uh huh.

Aug 26, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #9 of 12

Quote:

By "authorized" they only want stores that sell the item directly, meaning that if it's Amazon then it has to be shipped and sold by Amazon. As long as it's not an individual selling it, they consider it authorized, otherwise they wouldn't have matched CandySave. Besides, why would you need to return a $90 pair of M50 unless defective?
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #10 of 12
Not necessarily....Today I "emailed" Guitar Center' customer service about price matching and was declined because they couldn't verify that they were a authorized dealer.  I'm still going to try to bring the add tomorrow to my local GC and see if they will price match. 

He definitely got lucky and i guess it depends on who's working at the time also.  crossing my fingers!!!  I'll update when i find out but if not, try soundprofessionals.com.  $109 with the code they provide you.  That's the cheapest place i found them and they are a authorized dealer. 

Quote:
By "authorized" they only want stores that sell the item directly, meaning that if it's Amazon then it has to be shipped and sold by Amazon. As long as it's not an individual selling it, they consider it authorized, otherwise they wouldn't have matched CandySave. Besides, why would you need to return a $90 pair of M50 unless defective?
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

i get the same crap here too.  and whats worse is they will even be dicks about letting you listen to a pair of their headphones because htey say then they cant sell them as new...
bunch of crap.

and yeah i think the OP got lucky.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Not necessarily....Today I "emailed" Guitar Center' customer service about price matching and was declined because they couldn't verify that they were a authorized dealer.  I'm still going to try to bring the add tomorrow to my local GC and see if they will price match. 

He definitely got lucky and i guess it depends on who's working at the time also.  crossing my fingers!!!  I'll update when i find out but if not, try soundprofessionals.com.  $109 with the code they provide you.  That's the cheapest place i found them and they are a authorized dealer. 

I wouldn't email if I were you. The folks who work that system have nothing to gain by helping you score a deal, whereas a salesperson in a store would get commission. Hell, don't even bring the ad for them to examine over. It would only make it easier for the salesperson to bring it up to the manager to ask. Just have them Google it and pull it up on their screen, or show them on your phone. There's always a strategy for everything.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back