ATH M50 and AD700
Jun 20, 2010 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SirJulius

New Head-Fier
So I just recently got the m50s and they're the best pair of headphones I've ever had. However, I do have some extra cash and I'm thinking of getting the AD700s as well. After reading through a bunch of post on here, they seem like the perfect pair. What do you guys think? Any better way to spend 200$ in terms of versatility and use? 

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Depends on what sound you are after, what equipment you own and what type of music you listen to. $200 is a good chunk of money and there are a lot of phones you can get in that range, especially if you go used. The AD700 is not regarded as a great headphone, but for the under $100 price tag, it is decent I suppose.

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 8
Don't pay MSRP on the AD700s. You can get them under $100 on Amazon. If you can find them at a local audio store, try them first to see if they suit your taste.
For under $100 they're AMAZING headphones.
For $150 they're great headphones!
For $200 you can look at all other options to make sure this is really what you want, because you can do alot more for $200.

I spent $120 on them. Well worth it for my tastes as it filled in a niche for my music preferences and gaming for the soundstage.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 8
Im guessing your looking for an open pair of phones since you already have a closed pair?  The AD700 is a great headphone as long as you dont mind that the bass is not prominent.  Something like the MS-1 or DT440 will sound better overall for music (though the AD700 is still great), but neither do gaming as well as the AD700.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 8
ooh okay. I know what you mean now.
I'm curious to test the M50 after reading so many posts about it. It may be FOTM, but that warrants a test.
I wouldn't buy one yet though. lol.. budget constraints.

But for what it's worth, AD700 is spacious, wide soundstage that's great for orchestral music, gaming (for 360˚ field of sound), and acoustic. You can't go wrong if you're looking to use it for those purposes.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 8
Provided you'd only use them for music, i'd just get the Alessandro MS-1s instead. Unless of course you primarily listen to classical, where they would do a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back