ATH-M40x vs MDR-V6?
Sep 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #16 of 47

The M40x does have some problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as the M50x.

The M50x has mediocre sound quality and is a basshead headphone marketed as a studio monitor. Here's proof:

(Planar magnetic headphones, which have plenty of bass and are also considered to have perfectly neutral bass, follow the green line in the bass. That's how much extra bass the M50x has.)

The Sony MDR-7506 is even more bright and harsh than the MDR-V6. Not balanced at all. The MDR-V6 is slightly more balanced.

Aha. Now that's an out-of-place line for "studio" cans. Cool. On two notes:

1. What's a better investment, M40x+Fiio E6 at $109.95 or M40x+hard shell case at $99.95?
2. Just out of curiousity, how do the newer M70s compare if anyone knows? Way out of my budget, but it's an interestin gdevelopment.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 47
I find it odd you suggest the M50s on the basis that they're more V-shaped; that's not what I'm looking for. I want something that I can use for accurate monitoring.

I was more catering it to the casual use side that you requested. I find that the sound quality difference is significant enough(m40x to M50x) to outweigh some extra bass and you can also compensate for that I assume with that knowledge but I can't say I have any experience in that so maybe a true studio monitor would be the way to go. 

As for the 7506 and V6, if you do extensive research you will find one is more widely preferred not to mention designed for professional use. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #18 of 47
I was more catering it to the casual use side that you requested. I find that the sound quality difference is significant enough(m40x to M50x) to outweigh some extra bass and you can also compensate for that I assume with that knowledge but I can't say I have any experience in that so maybe a true studio monitor would be the way to go. 

As for the 7506 and V6, if you do extensive research you will find one is more widely preferred not to mention designed for professional use. 

You might note, if you read the post thoroughly, that I stated monitoring first. Flat response is the way to go for my needs.

Sep 9, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #19 of 47
1. What's a better investment, M40x+Fiio E6 at $109.95 or M40x+hard shell case at $99.95?
2. Just out of curiousity, how do the newer M70s compare if anyone knows? Way out of my budget, but it's an interestin gdevelopment.

I'd go for the case. It doesn't need an amp, and if you do get an amp for headphones that do need one, you should get a better amp than the E6. (I actually purchased that M40x + E6 bundle in the past.)

I read that the M70x is more neutral and sounds better, but I haven't heard it. The Yamaha HPH-MT220 is my favorite studio monitor headphone and also my favorite closed headphone of any type.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #27 of 47
Alright, I think I'll see if I can snag one.

And then you can use it with any future headphones! I've used mine with countless headphones, though obviously only a few can fit on it at a time.

Side note: I think the M40x looks cooler than the other M series headphones, because the entire logo is shiny silver, whereas the others have blacked-out parts. Reminds me of the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda. The M70x also has the entirely shiny logo, but the rest of the headphone looks different.

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #28 of 47

And then you can use it with any future headphones! I've used mine with countless headphones, though obviously only a few can fit on it at a time.

Side note: I think the M40x looks cooler than the other M series headphones, because the entire logo is shiny silver, whereas the others have blacked-out parts. Reminds me of the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda. The M70x also has the entirely shiny logo, but the rest of the headphone looks different.

Eeyup. :p

Interesting, I thought the m50s looked cooler, though I think my opinion is starting to change, the m50s almost look a bit too flashy... Interesting point on the logo, never noticed that, cool! I wish the silver ring were bigger though :p

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #29 of 47
Interesting, I thought the m50s looked cooler, though I think my opinion is starting to change, the m50s almost look a bit too flashy... Interesting point on the logo, never noticed that, cool! I wish the silver ring were bigger though :p

I didn't think the M50x looked that flashy. (I owned one and also borrowed another for over a month.)

Now here's an M50x (ATH-M50xBL) that looks flashy:

(Lego headphone stand not included...lol...but I'd love to own that stand, as well as the M50xBL, even though I don't like its sound much.)

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #30 of 47

Eeyup. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back