ATH-M40x vs MDR-V6?
Sep 8, 2015 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

TofuWarrior

New Head-Fier
I'm looking at getting a set of $100 studio monitors for music and film, along with some casual use for listening to music and gaming. Now I come to a decision that is stated in the subject line, Audio Technica or Sony?

Which one will be able to hold up to the most abuse? Which one has the flattest frequency response and most accurate sound reproduction for monitoring?

Halp!

-Confused

Sep 9, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 47
oh jeez..

I am eternally cursed by these^^ posts. I clearly stated I am looking at two headphones, both of which are $100. I don't want to hear any of this stuff about how I can get something I've never heard of in exchange for sacrificing my budget and what want. Is it really this difficult to get a straight answer on the internet..?

Edit: The 8400s you mentioned are, in fact, $50 more.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 47
  oh jeez..

I am eternally cursed by these^^ posts. I clearly stated I am looking at two headphones, both of which are $100. I don't want to hear any of this stuff about how I can get something I've never heard of in exchange for sacrificing my budget and what want. Is it really this difficult to get a straight answer on the internet..?

Edit: The 8400s you mentioned are, in fact, $50 more.

Nope--at Amazon (last night) they were less than $19 more.

I wouldn't pick either of the cans you have mentioned.

Good luck.

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 47
Alright, you wouldn't pick either. Fair enough. But is that really a reason to post with some completely irrelevant suggestion?

If the KRKs really are good cans, you should easily be able to say why they are better as opposed to simply stating that I "could get them". Wouldn't that be more useful?

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 47
Alright, you wouldn't pick either. Fair enough. But is that really a reason to post with some completely irrelevant suggestion?

If the KRKs really are good cans, you should easily be able to say why they are better as opposed to simply stating that I "could get them". Wouldn't that be more useful?

I did by providing a specific recommendation in answer your own questions and requirements: "Which one will be able to hold up to the most abuse? Which one has the flattest frequency response and most accurate sound reproduction for monitoring?"  The 8400 is superior to both cans you mentioned with regard to all your factors.  It also has a detachable cable--which has more advantages than just durability (= your factor "hold up to the most abuse")

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #7 of 47
The M40x is a better choice than the V6. The V6 has mostly the same bright, harsh, tinny sound as its successor, the MDR-7506 -- except not as bad. The M40x is also more durable, to my reckoning, and has a detachable cable. On a side note, I'm actually selling my M30x, though it's not as neutral as the M40x.

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 47
Really? More durable? IIRC the Sonys have a metal construction while the Audio-Technicas are plastic. Do they have a metal frame of some type? As for the m30s, tempting, but if I'm going AT I want to hold out for 40s. Also, I'm still just a smidgen skeptical of used headphones, are they worth the dip in price?

Sep 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #9 of 47
Really? More durable? IIRC the Sonys have a metal construction while the Audio-Technicas are plastic. Do they have a metal frame of some type? As for the m30s, tempting, but if I'm going AT I want to hold out for 40s. Also, I'm still just a smidgen skeptical of used headphones, are they worth the dip in price?

I've owned all these headphones. Metal? Hm, that's strange. Looking it up, some parts might be metal...but it sure didn't feel like it. Handling the Sony, it felt more flimsy even if some parts happened to be more durable. As long as you treat your headphones with respect, it's a moot issue. But the M40x certainly has less problems as far as sound goes. My M30x is in like new condition (so the same as buying new except you don't get the satisfaction of being the first person to open the box, plus you don't have the convenience of a return policy) and I will even consider any offer. I buy, sell, and trade used headphones all the time. It's a good way to try out stuff and save money.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 47
Interesting. One moment...

Right. Examined my father's 7506s, they feel like plastic... Odd, he always tells me that they're metal. Interesting. I want to get a bit more concrete evidence for the 40s and then I'll probably go with them, Amazon has a couple bundles with a free Fiio E6 or a hard shell case. I'm familiar with Used Like New items, awesome deals(Though twice I've gotten ripped off... The Matrix came scratched to hell, in a blank jewel caser that looked like it came out of someones trash can, and it wouldn't even play. The disc was so faded it looked like it sat out in the sun for a week. An RATM cd also came scratched up. Otherwise I've had good experiences.) Honestly, if I were looking at m30s I'd definitely take you up on your offer. All in all, though, thanks a ton for the info! :)

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #13 of 47
M40x has something in the very high frequencies that is not good for longer listening otherwise they're okay headphones. I wouldn't call them balanced though or really that clear sounding. More of a slightly less rich M50x with parts of the highs turned up. 

I'm going to also go off the tracks on my suggestion but I would wait for a deal and buy the M50x. They represent everything very richly but obviously they are more V-shaped than something considered balanced studio monitor like the 7506. 

7506 is supposed to be better/more balanced than V6 according to reviews but I have no experience myself. 

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #15 of 47
  M40x has something in the very high frequencies that is not good for longer listening otherwise they're okay headphones. I wouldn't call them balanced though or really that clear sounding. More of a slightly less rich M50x with parts of the highs turned up. 

I'm going to also go off the tracks on my suggestion but I would wait for a deal and buy the M50x. They represent everything very richly but obviously they are more V-shaped than something considered balanced studio monitor like the 7506. 

7506 is supposed to be better/more balanced than V6 according to reviews but I have no experience myself. 

The M40x does have some problems, but it's nowhere near as bad as the M50x.

The M50x has mediocre sound quality and is a basshead headphone marketed as a studio monitor. Here's proof:

(Planar magnetic headphones, which have plenty of bass and are also considered to have perfectly neutral bass, follow the green line in the bass. That's how much extra bass the M50x has.)

The Sony MDR-7506 is even more bright and harsh than the MDR-V6. Not balanced at all. The MDR-V6 is slightly more balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back