ATH-M40x vs MDR-V6?
Sep 10, 2015 at 1:53 PM Post #31 of 47

And then you can use it with any future headphones! I've used mine with countless headphones, though obviously only a few can fit on it at a time.

Side note: I think the M40x looks cooler than the other M series headphones, because the entire logo is shiny silver, whereas the others have blacked-out parts. Reminds me of the Triforce from The Legend Of Zelda. The M70x also has the entirely shiny logo, but the rest of the headphone looks different.

Eeyup. :p

Interesting, I thought the m50s looked cooler, though I think my opinion is starting to change, the m50s almost look a bit too flashy... Interesting point on the logo, never noticed that, cool! I wish the silver ring were bigger though :p

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #32 of 47
Um...you just repeated one of your old posts twice.
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #33 of 47

I didn't think the M50x looked that flashy. (I owned one and also borrowed another for over a month.)

Now here's an M50x (ATH-M50xBL) that looks flashy:

(Lego headphone stand not included...lol...but I'd love to own that stand, as well as the M50xBL, even though I don't like its sound much.)

Yeah, that wasn't thge word I was looking for... I don't know, it's just something about them that gives a slight Beats aroma. THey look like they're trying too hard IMHO.

And yes, I know. I clicked the submit button and nothing happened.

Sep 10, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 47
Yeah, that wasn't thge word I was looking for... I don't know, it's just something about them that gives a slight Beats aroma. THey look like they're trying too hard IMHO.

And yes, I know. I clicked the submit button and nothing happened.

Ah. Perhaps tacky was the word you're looking for? At least that's how I would describe Beats.

You can go back and edit in a "." in place of the duplicate posts.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #36 of 47
I'd just like to extend a TON of thanks to everyone who helped me out, I've just ordered the ATH-M40x with the Slappa Hardshell Headphone case for 99.95 with free shipping, it should ship tomorrow or the day after, with delivery estimated around 10 days from now.

Sep 15, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #37 of 47
I'd just like to extend a TON of thanks to everyone who helped me out, I've just ordered the ATH-M40x with the Slappa Hardshell Headphone case for 99.95 with free shipping, it should ship tomorrow or the day after, with delivery estimated around 10 days from now.

Sweet. I bought an extreme basshead rig today, because I've gotten so many audiophile headphones and haven't scratched my bass itch!

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #38 of 47
Oh mai.... I got the M40s today, and I am ASTOUNDED. These things sound like they were crafted by angels, and they fit my head perfectly. Like, they feel tailor-made... damn... It only took 20 seconds of In The Air Tonight, and I was sold. Like, I failed to hold my head up for a second just from the sheer shock of how good these are. These are beautiful, and phenomenally balanced. I better stop, or I'm going to go on for ages.

Sep 23, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #39 of 47
  Oh mai.... I got the M40s today, and I am ASTOUNDED. These things sound like they were crafted by angels, and they fit my head perfectly. Like, they feel tailor-made... damn... It only took 20 seconds of In The Air Tonight, and I was sold. Like, I failed to hold my head up for a second just from the sheer shock of how good these are. These are beautiful, and phenomenally balanced. I better stop, or I'm going to go on for ages.

Niiice!
beerchug.gif

I have an M30x on my head at the moment and am enjoying it quite a bit. Kinda wish it was an M40x instead, though the sound quality of both is nothing special compared to high-end headphones.

Sep 24, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #41 of 47
  One smalll(very small) issue, is that they don't seem to block out a lot of sound. Are they intended to? Because I almost prefer them this way, I just want to make sure it's intended. :)

Well, since it's closed, it blocks more sound than most open headphones, but the other day, my roommate told me that she can hear my music playing while walking past the closed door of my room, and at the moment the only headphone I'm using is the M30x. So some closed headphones don't have the best isolation. As far as hearing environmental noise while music is playing, I don't really hear anything from outside with any headphones.

Sep 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #42 of 47
  The M40x is a better choice than the V6. The V6 has mostly the same bright, harsh, tinny sound as its successor, the MDR-7506 -- except not as bad. The M40x is also more durable, to my reckoning, and has a detachable cable. On a side note, I'm actually selling my M30x, though it's not as neutral as the M40x.

I have owned the Sony V6 for over 25 years. I like the sound of it as it is extremely neutral. it makes my ears overheat rather quickly though, so I don't use it much anymore. There are many people still using the same Sony V6 for over 25 years, although most of them have needed to replace the earpads. 

Sep 25, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #43 of 47
  I have owned the Sony V6 for over 25 years. I like the sound of it as it is extremely neutral.

Not even close to neutral. Here is what neutral looks like:

http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/92/92b5a906_STAX_SR-207_Frequency_Response_HRTF.png

My friend mislabeled the graph, but look how closely the measurements align with the compensation curves.

Now use these measurements for reference and compare them to the measurements of the Sony MDR-V6:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207SB2217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/StaxSR207EP507LeatherPadsSerNumSB22217.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SonyMDRV6.pdf

Like I said, the V6 is bright, tinny, and harsh. More importantly, aside from the tonal balance, the sound quality is pretty mediocre.

Nov 19, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #44 of 47
M40x has something in the very high frequencies that is not good for longer listening otherwise they're okay headphones. I wouldn't call them balanced though or really that clear sounding. More of a slightly less rich M50x with parts of the highs turned up.

I'm going to also go off the tracks on my suggestion but I would wait for a deal and buy the M50x. They represent everything very richly but obviously they are more V-shaped than something considered balanced studio monitor like the 7506.

7506 is supposed to be better/more balanced than V6 according to reviews but I have no experience myself.

Headphones tuned flat won't necessarily sound that way due to the way we hear. Read up on the research of Fletcher-Munson and 'equal-loudness' contours.

I find it odd you suggest the M50s on the basis that they're more V-shaped; that's not what I'm looking for. I want something that I can use for accurate monitoring.

This relates to what I suggested to user anuhatu. The M50/M50x are not tuned perfectly flat. They emphasize, albeit moderately, those frequencies we are on average less sensitive to, particularly the low-end bass region.

I would prefer a flat/neutral can, which I can EQ either to preference or in line with equal-loudness curves.

Nov 25, 2017 at 2:09 AM Post #45 of 47
Headphones tuned flat won't necessarily sound that way due to the way we hear. Read up on the research of Fletcher-Munson and 'equal-loudness' contours.

This relates to what I suggested to user anuhatu. The M50/M50x are not tuned perfectly flat. They emphasize, albeit moderately, those frequencies we are on average less sensitive to, particularly the low-end bass region.

I would prefer a flat/neutral can, which I can EQ either to preference or in line with equal-loudness curves.
Hey - I appreciate the input, but this thread is a little over 2 years old at this point. Sorry. :p I actually have a pair of V6s now. The Audio-Technicas broke after a 2ft fall onto a rug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back