ATH M-50 L/R flipped
Aug 18, 2011 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Freder

New Head-Fier
Yeah, so I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH M-50's off ebay for 120$, and I've checked that they at least aren't the usual fakes with the AT logo on backwards. Having had them for a couple of weeks now I tested a binaural recording off youtube, and noticed that the channels seem to be flipped, i.e. the sound that's supposed to come out of the right is coming out of the left and vice-versa (yes, I have the headphones on the right way, and it can't be my computer's sound card because I've tried it on several computers).

So.. Should I be hassling the seller for a refund, or trying to contact AT to get the problem fixed? I'm pretty new to the world of headphones, and before these my only experiences have been  a few pairs of Portapros and 2 pairs of Senn PX-100's, and some even cheaper stuff, so I really can't tell from the sound quality if these sound fake or not, I just think they sound pretty good. What does Head-Fi think?

Thanks in advance! :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 4
No, not yet. I don't really have any tools of my own, and I haven't gotten around to borrowing a screwdriver from anyone yet.. Yeah, I know, who doesn't have a small screwdriver around, right? Me. That's who :p Just 2 questions: 1) What is the PCB and where do I find it, and 2) What color should it be?

I'm guessing I'm just supposed to unscrew the screws found under the pads to open up the phones, but other than that I really don't know a lot about the anatomy of headphones. I've only ever taken a broken pair of PX-100's apart, but never an actual working pair of headphones.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 4
Does wearing them backwards fix the problem? That could be a temporary soloution

To actually switch channels you have to switch the wires, which might require some major headphone disection and irreversable damage to the leather headband and some other internal components.
Maybe you could ask the guys who do rewireing work, i am no expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back