ATH-IM70 vs Shure SE215 vs VSONIC GR07
Oct 26, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #17 of 55
hi guys
i m planning to choose one between ATH im70 and gr07
which one offers better detail and instrument seperation?
and i want to drive it from apple macbook air as source
Do i need any extra source to drivde them?

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 55
I'm looking at spending around the $150 (NZD) mark to get some in ears and was looking at these ATH-IM70s. I want to use them for proper listening as well as wearing round school and things like that. I was wondering how they stack up against the others for sound isolation as i would like to use them for drumming as well. I also have a pair of ATH-M50X but also need something smaller and more isolating. I know the Shures are good in that regard as i know someones with them but the sound isn't as good I've heard.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #19 of 55
  hi guys
i m planning to choose one between ATH im70 and gr07
which one offers better detail and instrument seperation?
and i want to drive it from apple macbook air as source
Do i need any extra source to drivde them?

1. GR07 offers vastly clearer, more detailed sound and much better instrument separation.
2. they both are easily driven so you dont need to worry about that.

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 55
Shure SE 215 - imo this earphone is pretty medicore/average in terms of sound quality and should not be brought up in earphone recommendation threads. Only good thing is comfort build quality isolation and detachable cable.
IM70 - very organic/natural sounding, good for vocals. The vocals are rich, airy, warm, quite different from most iems (in a good way). Imo they aren't that good for edm music, more for vocal driven tracks. Though for me they are quite large, heavy and uncomfortable. You should really try them to see if they fit you well.
GR07 - Like others have said, the best sounding of the 3 in terms of raw sq. Great detail instrument separation etc.

Conclusion: Get IM70 if you like vocals/more natural comfortable sound, if not get GR07 for details

Other alternatives
Klipsch x10i (120usd on amazon) - has greater detail than gr07. great midrange and bass quality, and EXTREMELY comfortable. The build quality is questionable, with some complaints about cable breaking.
DUNU Titan 1 - Has greater detail than gr07, better bass impact, soundstage and sounds crisp. 
HCK A2 - If the reviews are right, this earphone is in a league above all the earphones mentioned in this thread. 
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-HCK-A2-Dynamically-And-BA-3-Unit-Headphone-HIFI-Fever-In-Ear-Earphone-As/1825606_32574853976.html

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #21 of 55
  Shure SE 215 - imo this earphone is pretty medicore/average in terms of sound quality and should not be brought up in earphone recommendation threads. Only good thing is comfort build quality isolation and detachable cable.
IM70 - very organic/natural sounding, good for vocals. The vocals are rich, airy, warm, quite different from most iems (in a good way). Imo they aren't that good for edm music, more for vocal driven tracks. Though for me they are quite large, heavy and uncomfortable. You should really try them to see if they fit you well.
GR07 - Like others have said, the best sounding of the 3 in terms of raw sq. Great detail instrument separation etc.

Conclusion: Get IM70 if you like vocals/more natural comfortable sound, if not get GR07 for details

Other alternatives
Klipsch x10i (120usd on amazon) - has greater detail than gr07. great midrange and bass quality, and EXTREMELY comfortable. The build quality is questionable, with some complaints about cable breaking.
DUNU Titan 1 - Has greater detail than gr07, better bass impact, soundstage and sounds crisp. 
HCK A2 - If the reviews are right, this earphone is in a league above all the earphones mentioned in this thread. 
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2015-New-HCK-A2-Dynamically-And-BA-3-Unit-Headphone-HIFI-Fever-In-Ear-Earphone-As/1825606_32574853976.html

I STRONGLY agree that the Shures are #@!^#?& horrible. Cheers
beerchug.gif

The FiiO EX1 has better tuning than the Titan 1 even though its OEM. 
The IM70 sound muddy IMO. Not suitable for classical/movie scores.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 55
I STRONGLY agree that the Shures are #@!^#?& horrible. Cheers:beerchug:  

The FiiO EX1 has better tuning than the Titan 1 even though its OEM. 
The IM70 sound muddy IMO. Not suitable for classical/movie scores.

Yups! I'm quite surprised the shure threads are still on the first page in this subforum. Se215, 425 and 535 have become quite outdated and overpriced with so many better alternatives. Asian earphones just destroy everything else in the sub 400 price range.
And yes I agree I just forgot how muddy the im50/70s sound. They don't lack detail, it's more of the way the sound is presented in a more organic smooth way. (which makes it a definite no for edm). Also I'm not a fan of the big size of the ath earphones. When I listen to them I keep thinking "do the drivers have to be this big to produce such a
sound?" They are by far the largest and most uncomfortable earphones I've tried (maybe because I have small ears too)

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #23 of 55
Yups! I'm quite surprised the shure threads are still on the first page in this subforum. Se215, 425 and 535 have become quite outdated and overpriced with so many better alternatives. Asian earphones just destroy everything else in the sub 400 price range.
And yes I agree I just forgot how muddy the im50/70s sound. They don't lack detail, it's more of the way the sound is presented in a more organic smooth way. (which makes it a definite no for edm). Also I'm not a fan of the big size of the ath earphones. When I listen to them I keep thinking "do the drivers have to be this big to produce such a
sound?" They are by far the largest and most uncomfortable earphones I've tried (maybe because I have small ears too)

Oh boy , you havent seen large yet............

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #24 of 55
"Se215, 425 and 535 have become quite outdated and overpriced with so many better alternatives. Asian earphones just destroy everything else in the sub 400 price range."

Let's agree to disagree.

Mar 14, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #25 of 55
"Se215, 425 and 535 have become quite outdated and overpriced with so many better alternatives. Asian earphones just destroy everything else in the sub 400 price range."

Let's agree to disagree.

This part is just hyperbole but there is some truth in it.

It is true that the budget range MAINLY consist of chinese IEMs but they do not by any means DESTROY EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE SUB 400 PRICE RANGE.

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #26 of 55
Okay I agree that what I said was a hyperbole, there are indeed some exceptions that can compete with Asian earphones. But in terms of overall sq (sound sig is quite subjective), I've yet to see any non Asian earphones that can beat these (just to give a few) in their price categories:
lz z03a (30usd)
hck a2 (118 usd)
lz a3 (168 usd)
shock wave phantom 3 (250 usd)
dunu 2000j (289 usd)

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #27 of 55
W
Okay I agree that what I said was a hyperbole, there are indeed some exceptions that can compete with Asian earphones. But in terms of overall sq (sound sig is quite subjective), I've yet to see any non Asian earphones that can beat these (just to give a few) in their price categories:
lz z03a (30usd)
hck a2 (118 usd)
lz a3 (168 usd)
shock wave phantom 3 (250 usd)
dunu 2000j (289 usd)

Well, there are some non-Chinese Iems that I would still choose over the Chinese iems (phrased it poorly ,sry) for example the etymotic er4s.

Japanese iems are quite good too.

As far as value for money goes, it's hard to find stuff that can match up to or beat Chinese iems. The JVC FXH 30 is one of them.

Mar 14, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #28 of 55
W
Well, there are some non-Chinese Iems that I would still choose over the Chinese iems (phrased it poorly ,sry) for example the etymotic er4s.

Chinese IEMs are low to mid tier at best.

The best IEMs are still from Japan, US, and Germany.

I don't consider Noble Audio as a Chinese company.

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #29 of 55
Chinese IEMs are low to mid tier at best.

The best IEMs are still from Japan, US, and Germany.

I don't consider Noble Audio as a Chinese company.

That I can agree with.  Although the Japanese IEMs tend to be colored and overpriced.  There is a reason that Chinese/Japanese speakers never made it in the US - they tend to be very well made and attractive, but no one actually listened to them during the design phase.

You can include Britain in the list of good IEM sources (RHA, for example)

Mar 15, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #30 of 55
That I can agree with.  Although the Japanese IEMs tend to be colored and overpriced.  There is a reason that Chinese/Japanese speakers never made it in the US - they tend to be very well made and attractive, but no one actually listened to them during the design phase.

You can include Britain in the list of good IEM sources (RHA, for example)

RHA is low-mid tier at best. And I disagree with the Japanese statement, they ostensibly produce the most well-regarded hifi components in the world. From loudspeakers to turntables they have as much r&d and innovation the US and Germany.

I would place the US at the end of the list. Nothing personal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back