ATH-ES7 broke, need new headphones
Oct 5, 2010 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vincentvdn

New Head-Fier
Hi

Thanks to this forum I chose the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 (first plan was Bose Around-Ear) for my daily headphones and I absolutely adored them for over a year.

Too bad today I was listening with my phone in my pocket and the wire got stuck behind a doorknob. Now there's something wrong with the plug, only got sound in 1 ear. If I play a little bit with it I sometimes get sound in both ears.

So anyway, I'm looking for a replacer and I don't want to buy the same ones again. Only flaw I found is that they were not super comfortable, especially not when you had them on for a few hours.

I wanted to buy the Bose QC15 earlier today, because they are soooo comfy, but then I came here and changed my mind

Demands:
- Excellent comfort
- Around ear (or smt like ES7)
- Should look really slick (too bad I don't like the HD25 looks)
- I love bass
- Price doesn't matter

Got any suggestions? I know I was doubting between ES7 and Denon D1000 previous time, but something about those phones doesn't suit me... Can't really tell why.

Thanks!!

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 14
I like the ATH-M50's and they seem to be popular around here, although I noticed on a pic that it has a long iron plug?
Wouldn't be handy since I use a BlackBerry for music which sits horizontally in my jeans pocket, so that wouldn't fit...

Also, is Beats anything compared to this headphone? Money isn't an argument.
I see a lot of hate for this headphone, but I don't know why. (And don't say they're too expensive for what they are)

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 14
Cannot say anything about the M50 (just that they seem to be praised all around)
but just wanted to say about the Beats: you nailed it  "And don't say they're too expensive for what they are". That's exactly it. They are not the worst things ever made, they simply aren't worth the price asked.

Oct 5, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 14
Oh yeah and I listen about anything. From psytrance to metallica, classical, hip hop, drum n bass, etc...

I know they cost too much but if you don't care, it doesn't matter
smily_headphones1.gif
I just want something I love

En dag landgenoot (Antwerpen)
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:05 AM Post #5 of 14
Okay lol, despite all the bashing of the Beats by Dr Dre headphones everywhere around this forum, I went ahead and bought them anyway. I thought "what do I know about sound? If everybody who isn't an audiophile loves it, I'm sure I will too...". The reviews on youtube make them look amazing.

Well I received it today........ and it's TERRIBLE. Really, compared to my Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 they are nothing. Seriously... I had some friends over who were super enthusiastic about it and when they saw my face on the first test, they were like "what the....?"

Also the sound leakage is insane. How can anyone ever wear this in public?

Sooo I put it for sale online and continue my search for the ideal headphones... Please help me

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Perfect time to upgrade if you can...how about the esw9a?

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Perfect time to upgrade if you can...how about the esw9a?

Yeah I took a look at them already and they look more comfy but I really don't like that wooden look...
Else I would have insta-bought them.

I am willing to spend $350 and it's important that they have superb "no-sound-leakage". (Like the ES7) It's for daily outside use.

Oct 8, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 14
Those ES10's look really attractive! First topic I see somebody mentioning them.

How is the sound leakage compared to the ES7? I expect similar? (very little to none) What are the sound differences between the 2? (Or why is it better?)

Also, will it have the "goofy" look like the ES7, and if yes - is it moddable too?

Oct 9, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Sorry jjinh, I was talking about my last questions.
And of course I'm trying to upgrade the prestations.

Been using the search for hours but cannot figure it out.

Quote:
Those ES10's look really attractive! First topic I see somebody mentioning them.

How is the sound leakage compared to the ES7? I expect similar? (very little to none) What are the sound differences between the 2? (Or why is it better?)

Also, will it have the "goofy" look like the ES7, and if yes - is it moddable too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back