ATH-AD900X vs AKG Q 701 for gaming? I want the best sound stage and depth of audio for around $200.
May 1, 2014 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MrDeath

New Head-Fier
Im torn between these two. Unless there is another i overlooked.

Im going to be watching movies and listening to music with them also. But i want them mainly for FPS's and games.

Gonna have a Asus Xonar Ds for a sound card.

Please and thanks, i really cant make up my mind and dont want any regrets if i chose the wrong one.

May 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 5
The ATH-AD700 scored very well in Mad Lust Envy's gaming guide. The AD900X is a new generation in that series and a higher model. I haven't heard the AD900X, but I would bet on them to perform comparably for gaming as the Q701s.

However, the Xonar DS is not very good for driving headphones. I don't believe it has a headphone amp. You would be better to trade it in on a Xonar DG or DGX.

May 1, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 5
The ATH-AD700 scored very well in Mad Lust Envy's gaming guide. The AD900X is a new generation in that series and a higher model. I haven't heard the AD900X, but I would bet on them to perform comparably for gaming as the Q701s.

However, the Xonar DS is not very good for driving headphones. I don't believe it has a headphone amp. You would be better to trade it in on a Xonar DG or DGX.

I figured the 7.1 channels on the Xonar DS would be better. 

I mean wouldnt i be able to just mess with the equalizer settings, that would be the same as the headphone amp right?

May 1, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #5 of 5
No. The 7.1 channels will not help the sound quality for headphones.

And no. EQ will not make up for having a headphone amp. A headphone amp is what powers the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back