ath-AD900 v hd650?
Jan 3, 2009 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oldson

1000+ Head-Fier
DONE a search! b4 anyone jumps on me!
cant find many direct comparisons.
i want another can to compliment my closed A900's.
will be driven from initially my LD mkv, and soon to arrive, GS solo srg.
any advice welcomed.
gonna keep the a900s btw as they offer great isolation and sound great, to me.
thanks

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 17
Depends what you want. HD650's are quite dark and laid back with a fair amount of bass.

AD900's are bass light with a MASSIVE soundstage and very airy presentation. They are much more energetic and suit rock and other fast-paced genre's better.

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 17
I have both of these headphones and I think they're both great but for different things. As fraseyboy mentioned the HD650 is a warmer sounding headphone, it has more bass and driven properly it is a very enjoyable listen. Driven inadequately and it can sound flat and lifeless.

The AD900s feel like wearing clouds, they are extremely comfortable although you may want to tweak the curve of the headband if you find they aren't as comfortable as you'd like.

The AD900s have a light and brighter sound, but they're not harsh. They are very enjoyable with more open, lighter music like some jazz and acoustic recordings.

Some people prefer the AD900 for rock and other music, but i find it needs more bass to really pull that off. Fortunately it responds well to bass boost in an eq or on your amplifier.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 17
damn
i was hoping you guys would find them similar.
i wish i could audition both together.
which, would you say, produce better vocals and detail?

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
damn
i was hoping you guys would find them similar.
i wish i could audition both together.
which, would you say, produce better vocals and detail?

What kind of vocals
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of vocals
biggrin.gif

read somewhere on here that mids/vocals sound "recessed" on my current
Ath-a900, was wondering if this is common to all the AT range.
i cant, for the life of me, find the post i refer to! it was some time ago.
i wish there was a dealer in uk that would let me buy both and then return the one i least like. (only trouble with that ,though, is i would probably end up keeping both
wink_face.gif
)

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #7 of 17
just thought of something i wish to avoid!
have the ad900 got the same (crap) pleather pads of the a900?
if so then they are out of equation!

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

just thought of something i wish to avoid!
have the ad900 got the same (crap) pleather pads of the a900?
if so then they are out of equation!

no they dont. the ADs dont have pleather.

Jan 4, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

read somewhere on here that mids/vocals sound "recessed" on my current
Ath-a900, was wondering if this is common to all the AT range.
i cant, for the life of me, find the post i refer to! it was some time ago.
i wish there was a dealer in uk that would let me buy both and then return the one i least like. (only trouble with that ,though, is i would probably end up keeping both
wink_face.gif
)

You read that they sound recessed on your headphones? A more important question is do they sound recessed to you?

As mentioned above, the AD900s do not have pleather pads.

I would think that you could use the AD900 pads on the A900 though.

Jan 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 17
things just got more complicated!
i just read some reviews on here about the ad2000. now i am thinking "its only £160 more"
where is this gonna end???
this forum has already cost me a small fortune.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #11 of 17
Aww c'mon leave the poor AD900s and AD700s alone. Why keep toruring them in these comparisons to the top tier headphones from Senn and AKG?

If you want to do a comparison, compare the AD2000 to them.

If you want a reasonably priced headphone for your entry into HIFI, that doesn't need an amp, will play your music fast, accurate with tight bass and extreme comfort then get AD700 or AD900.

AD700 and AD900 are similar in that, AD900 does everything AD700 does but better, and yes its significant.

So again, leave these fantastic headphones for their price range alone. Go compare your HD650 to a K701!

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 17
When you add in the AMP, its a huge difference.

And normally the HD600 isn't the HD650.

HD650 is the top of the line for open air Senn. Usually around 450-500, MSRP for 599 btw.

AD2000 is the top of theline Open Air AT. Usually around 240, if you look around. Hmm huge difference in price to me. MRSRP around 340

That's how I see it. Its comparing a mid level HIFI AT headphone to the top of the line from Senn, course I'm excluding the electrostatics.

Its an unfair comparison, IMO. First figure out a budget. Do you have an amp, or plan to get one. Then decide which headphones to compare, not just blindly comparing headphones that don't have anything in common other than being Open Air.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HD650 is the top of the line for open air Senn. Usually around 450-500, MSRP for 599 btw.

AD2000 is the top of theline Open Air AT. Usually around 240, if you look around. Hmm huge difference in price to me. MRSRP around 340

That's how I see it. Its comparing a mid level HIFI AT headphone to the top of the line from Senn, course I'm excluding the electrostatics.

You're not making a whole lot of sense here. The HD650 may MSRP that high but many reputable sellers will sell it for under $350 including B&H, J and R, Headphone.com (lowest I've seen is $320 at J and R).

The ATH-AD900 is in the $270-290 range depending on where you look. The AD2000 seems to be at least $500. The AD700 is around $100.

Quote:

First figure out a budget. Do you have an amp, or plan to get one. Then decide which headphones to compare, not just blindly comparing headphones that don't have anything in common other than being Open Air.

This I can agree with.

Jan 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its an unfair comparison, IMO. First figure out a budget. Do you have an amp, or plan to get one. Then decide which headphones to compare, not just blindly comparing headphones that don't have anything in common other than being Open Air.

ad900 and hd650 both same price in uk, but the ad2000 is nearly double!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back