Ath ad700 vs Sennheiser hd555 vs Shure srh840
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Cassiopeia

Head-Fier
I was wondering if anybody could help me with this problem. I am looking for a pair of headphones and I have narrowed it down to these three cans and can not decide which one I should get. So please help me choose one of the three.
Thanks in advances 

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 9
Hmm, that's a tough choice as all three are excellent choices.  Being a fan of Shure's product line I would lean more toward the SRH840, but the HD555 and the AD700 are stellar all-rounders.  So, it boils down to what sound signature would you prefer-darker, laid back with an excellent soundstage(HD555), slightly forward midrange, clear crisp highs with an exceptional soundstage(AD700), or deep well extended bass, smooth midrange, excellent clarity and an excellent soundstage for a cloesd design(SRH840)?  The choice is yours.....(pick the Shures!)

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 9
The Shures are the least comfortable and closer to neutral sounding with excellent bass, their stage is wide and not so tall, they are very heavy

the hd555 are middle ground and handle everything well, very comfortable and easily modded to sound near identical to the hd595, bass light and on the dry side

the ad700 had the biggest stage, they are immensely comfortable and the best for gaming by far, however musically they fall short and the other two at least to me were more enjoyable for music, even less bass than the sennheiser

Dec 30, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Ok, but if I want a better pair of sennheiser's in the hd555 class. would it be the hd595 ? or something else 

considering that I want an all-arounder and some solid and comfortable ones. (price range to around 200 usd, give or take 25) 

Feel free to write another suggestion ?

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #6 of 9
the hd555 uses the same drivers as the hd595, again there is a easy as pie mod to do that makes it sound almost identical to the 595

all arounders for $200 in open back?  I would suggest a beyerdynamic of your choosing.  The DT770 is closed back sounds great as well but I think for a more budget conscious person the DBI PRO 705 is a better alternative.  For open back the semi open DT880 is a great choice and if you can get a used DT990 in 32ohm, you will be a happy person.  Beyers do a great job in playing everything nicely.  

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The Shures are the least comfortable

the ad700 are immensely comfortable

Wow, I don't find this to be the case at all. The AD700s, which I'm selling, have never felt secure or properly affixed to my head (which is uncomfortable) and the cartilage of my right ear gets sore in them after some time with them on. The SRH840s, which are definitely keepers, are nice and secure and provide a soft, even pressure. Just last night I listened to three Oceansize albums in a row without taking them off and they just disappeared. When I took them off, my ears and head kind of missed them. They just feel right.

They don't quite match the Bose QC2s for comfort, however, which I could probably wear indefinitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back