ATH-AD700 vs. any other sub-$250 headphone
Dec 15, 2010 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RuthlessVermin

New Head-Fier
Long-time lurker, first-time registrant/poster here. I've a pair of Sennheiser HD280-Pros that I am very happy with SQ-wise. I am growing increasingly frustrated with the comfort level, or rather, the lack of comfort I experience wearing these for extended periods. I find that they clamp my (admittedly large and somewhat misshapen) head too tightly. So in short, I'm looking for a replacement that meets or exceeds the HD280s in SQ, and is supremely comfortable for long periods of listening. 

My taste in terms of genres is broad, with electronic and rock probably the two most prevalent, but nearly everything from jazz to country to metal represented in some capacity. Thus, I'd like something balanced. I will have amplification available through either my AV40s or a CMoy-type portable. Sound leakage is not a concern, and I'm actually inclined to go open over closed simply because I'll still have the HD280s should I need something closed for short periods where isolation might be a concern. I should mention that I am unable to demo any of these, otherwise I would likely answer this myself. With all of this in mind...

My first thought is the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s ($96). The length of the appreciation thread speaks volumes. Glowing reviews, sounds like they're comfortable, seems to be everything I need. However, I am not opposed to spending a bit more. Some others I've considered:

Sennheiser HD595 ($150)
Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO ($180) - (Unclear on PRO vs. 2005 Edition,Edit: PRO=headclamp, apparently) 250 vs. 600 Ohm (necessary? My amps sufficient?)
Grado SR225i ($200) - Comfort maybe a concern?
Denon AHD2000 ($229)
and so on...

It's a slippery slope once I start rationalizing spending just that little bit more. Heck, I nearly changed the title just now to sub-$400 and included K701s and HD600s/650s... So, bottom line, will I be better served by any of these (or anything I've failed to consider or list) over the ATH-AD700s, relative to price? I just want a nice set of comfortable cans, and I'll spend the extra money if it's worth it. Thanks for any and all insight. :)

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 2
Some of the most comfortable cans I've worn recently are the Phiaton PS 500. I've got a partial review of them up here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/523079/upcoming-review-phiaton-showdown-ms-300-vs-ms-400-vs-ps-500

The AD700/AD700 are very comfortable and great for the price, but I'm not sure if they will be the best for rock and electronic. They have a somewhat light and airy texture to them. Audio Technicas are generally considered good for jazz (with the M50 being the notable exception).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back