ATH-A900LTD Appreciation Thread
Feb 26, 2006 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

wowie11

100+ Head-Fier
I have to say that I am in love with these phones. I was looking for a closed can alternative for my Grado's for late night listening so I don't wake up the baby and the Mrs...and boy have I found it. After taking a look at all the reviews and having listened to many AT phones before (from my bro who collects the woodied AT's) I thought this might be a good concession. They have a surprising soundstage for closed phones and great detail, the bass is tight and slams, the midbass has that fun element that has me tapping my toes and bobbin' my head. The level of detail is not quite in the realm of the HD650's when mated with my z-audio lambda amp (thanks Spinali!) but the difference is really negligible in my ears. Talk about a set of phones that exhibits changes as it burns in. These phones have changed it's sound significantly (in my ears anyway) from fresh out of the box, to 50 hours, to 200 hours, and finally to almost 250 hours...beautiful sound. IMHO I think this phone deserves to be recognized with some of the heavy hitters out there. Not quite K1000, HP1000 type realm, but I find myself reaching for these phones more than my recabled HD650's.
3000smile.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #2 of 34
I could not agree with you more.

I have said that this one is a sleeper. It came out at the same time a lot of other great phones came out, so it is natural for it to have been overlooked. I am glad that I didn't overlook it. Some may not like it's sound but overall I have very little issues with it.

Feb 26, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 34
I'll chip in (even though I eventually sold mine). They were the first headphone where I could really hear the bass. Not just *thud thud*, but a real growling, throaty texture - cello sounded amazing with them, and they made me re-appreciate the few classical cds I have. In general, they do intrumental music extremely well, isolate really well, and sound great out of my pcdp (I'll leave my negative comments for another thread
icon10.gif
). For some people it could be considered the best headphone in the world - it fills a specific niche, and I'm not sure any other headphone can do what it does so well.

Feb 26, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RP2X
How come alot of folk say the K271 with a good amp sound better ?

Dude, this is supposed to be an appreciation thread, c'mon. And how come a lot of people claim the Triport is the best headphone in the world? Who cares anyways - there is no better or best on an absolute scale. I've never heard the K271, but from reputation, I'd guess that the people who think it sounds better are people who like vocal music and have nice amplifiers. If you like classical, electronica, or other intrumental music and don't want to be bothered with the extra cost and hassle of an amp, then I'd say the LTD is probably the best you can buy in it's price range.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 34
has anyone heard the a500 and the a900 or a900LDT? I want to upgrade my a500s because the bass is weak and when i can get bass its lose and poppy. I'm kinda looking at the a900 or the beyer dt990 since the dt880 lacks bass and the dt770 has too much.

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #7 of 34
I second everything good that was said about them
biggrin.gif
The mids are just a tad "distant", but for someone who is heavily into black/death metal at the moment, this is a plus--the vocals are slightly remote and "lonely" which goes in line with the atmosphere of most black/death songs. Overall, though, I find them really detailed and neutral, comfort is top-notch as well. This is a purchase I am definitely not regretting
smily_headphones1.gif

P.S.
They definitely improve with burn-in. I found the mids kinda hollow in the beginning, so I let them burn-in for about 40 hours non-stop (without listening to them) and discovered much improvement. I am just approaching the 100 hour mark, and will be watching how the sound will change further.

P.P.S.
Is putting "team audio-technica" in the sig enough or do I actually have to register somewhere?
confused.gif
icon10.gif
WE NEED AN AUDIO-TECHNICA SMILEY
evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcryptic
has anyone heard the a500 and the a900 or a900LDT? I want to upgrade my a500s because the bass is weak and when i can get bass its lose and poppy. I'm kinda looking at the a900 or the beyer dt990 since the dt880 lacks bass and the dt770 has too much.

Ive only heard the a900ltd and i found this too at the beginning but i fixed it by changing my EQ settings on the sound card...

Now on to this appreciation thread, i really love my a900ltd's the bass is perfect not bloated or muddy like a lot of other phones, the mids when connected to the right source IMO dont seem that distant (all after burn-in) and the highs are really very clear... I certainly am extremely happy with this purchase and I'm not regretting it one bit... out of the tx-sv727 these sound amazing, i really appreciate some of the music i listen to... even when i had started to grow tired or previously didnt like a song i listened to them with these out of the receiver and now i find i like songs i didnt previously
tongue.gif
I'm also still WOWed when i listen to these phones...overall a very very good purchase
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Dude, this is supposed to be an appreciation thread, c'mon. And how come a lot of people claim the Triport is the best headphone in the world? Who cares anyways - there is no better or best on an absolute scale. I've never heard the K271, but from reputation, I'd guess that the people who think it sounds better are people who like vocal music and have nice amplifiers. If you like classical, electronica, or other intrumental music and don't want to be bothered with the extra cost and hassle of an amp, then I'd say the LTD is probably the best you can buy in it's price range.

soz, your right its strictly a A900 lovers thread I should have waited at least 2-3 pages before saying that comment
very_evil_smiley.gif

Shame the bluetin last 2 LTD editions are sold out....

Feb 26, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 34
I loved the A900LTD, to me it was nigth and day comparing to the regular A900....until I found the SONY CD3000...the rest was history..
k1000smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesp
I loved the A900LTD, to me it was nigth and day comparing to the regular A900....until I found the SONY CD3000...the rest was history..
k1000smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't know...I owned a CD3000 for about 2 years and it was my favorite, but found the sound a bit too bright. IMHO the A900LTD's are better for my favorite type of music which is jazz with female vocals. Not going to start a CD3000 vs. A900LTD battle though as both are great cans (I would not have sold the CD3000's if it wasn't for money constraints at the time) and it has been a while since I had my CD3000's.
3000smile.gif

On a side note, have you ever heard a pair of phones change so much after burn-in (talking about the ATH-A900LTD's)?

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 34
I love mine but they have some strange behaviour. They sound ok comming out of my iPod 5G but much better out of the headphone jack on my panasonic reciever which cost me $15. Go figure.

SA-XR25-S_1i.jpg

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 34
I'll agree with the many positive comments that's been said so far about the A900LTD. It's a great sounding set of cans straight out of the box, but it's not a set of cans for everybody. Despite the great level of detail, soundstage, and tight bass the A900LTD does have slightly recessed mids that is unacceptable by some. I personally don't mind this little drawback as it isn't bad enough to make them a bad set of cans for myself. Others will see it differently and will also comment on that the highs on the A900LTDs are a bit rolled off to them, that is fine to each his own. To my ears the A900LTDs is a set of cans that has all the details, soundstage, and bass as the A900s except smoother ane richer sounding. Also own a set of CD3000s and it's also an awesome sounding set of cans despite being on the bright side.

Feb 28, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 34
biggrin.gif
I love the LTDs! My #1 can of choice at the moment and I think it will take something really outstanding to beat them down a notch.

I only wish I could take them with me as portable, but this is never going to happen for obvious reasons. These are my babies, and I must protect them
eek.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #15 of 34
Managed to clock more than 200 hours on mine.
biggrin.gif

The sonic signature seemed to have evolved from the initial stage when I first got them. The bass department has tightened up and the harshness I got when I first put them on is gone now.

Overall, it's one heck of a closed can, though I wish it could have a broader soundstage.
biggrin.gif
But no one's complaining...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back