ATH-A700 broken driver or just wires?
Nov 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 25
No, I'd use entirely different new wire. I like the Mogami starquad microphone cables.... Mogami 2893 is a good, easy to work with (and inexpensive - about $1.50 a foot) choice. 

Nov 12, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 25
Id start by measuring the DCR at various points around the headphone & cable and seeing if the readings made sense. 

Then take the cables off of the drivers and see if the readings there make sense. 

Sears and radio-shack both have multimeters for like $20. I am of the mind that everyone should own a multi-meter, they are very useful. 

If the cable is busted, recabling the headphones gives them a new lease on life. If the drivers are busted recabling is a waste of time. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #18 of 25
For the record, I wrote to the support email on the AudioTechnica USA website - and got a response that replacement drivers for the ATH-A700 are available (and the price I was quoted was scary cheap...)

All is not lost. I'd write to them. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
For the record, I wrote to the support email on the AudioTechnica USA website - and got a response that replacement drivers for the ATH-A700 are available (and the price I was quoted was scary cheap...)

All is not lost. I'd write to them. 

I've written to them before.  I really wonder if they are adding any mark-up at all on parts when you request them individually.

Nov 14, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #21 of 25

Quote:

I've written to them before.  I really wonder if they are adding any mark-up at all on parts when you request them individually.

They'd probably get suspicious if I bought a few dozen pairs... but honestly - you could do ground up DIY phones from these and get really good sound for cheap (provided you can fabricate housings).

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #22 of 25
Or just buy the housings, lol.

Nov 14, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #23 of 25
Well where's the fun in that? :D

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #25 of 25
Certainly, with some improvisation depending on the housing design and driver size and what not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back