AT W5000 distortion on the left side
Dec 1, 2006 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Mr.Shadow

500+ Head-Fier
I have these cans for about 4 months now.
I never heard these kind of distortion.
It happened when I put on Massive Attack - Collected
Song #1, exactly at the begging of it, there is a low bass rythem and it makes the left can distorts...
Has anyone had these thing before with the W5000 ?

Thanks.

Dec 1, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #2 of 41
Could be the rattle issue that some members mentioned earlier about the W5000?
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 41
, and check if the "distortion" varies with volume. Mine showed up only at certain volume and on certain track, albeit at very low volume. Though the rattle did not get proportionally louder with increasing dB.

Have a look at thae thread, ATH-W5000 Rattle Problem. From #68 onwards, I discovered...

Funny enough mine was the left as well. The orientation and twisting of the cable into the left ear cup may be similar on quite a few sets.

The DIY is fairly straight forward, and posts there after from other contributors also offer worthwhile alternatives.

Just to set you at ease, mine has not rattled since the DIY.

Good luck!

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 41
Never heard of it actually, I remember there was one for the L3000.

Dec 1, 2006 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 41
Very Interesting indeed, I will try that.
But how do you open the cup ?

Thanks !

***Update*** Tried the mod, at first, it seemed to be doing O.K, but I could steel hear some distortions here and there, but the next few songs in the disk made some distortions, so I don't know what to do now :S

Dec 1, 2006 at 5:22 PM Post #6 of 41
Have you thought of possible hair strands sticking into the driver? This problem is kinda normal for the dt770's and once the dt990'05, specifically, when the low bass hit. It always happened that hair strands was sticking into the driver. I recently had this same problem too, and guess what? It was a hair strand, lol=]

Dec 1, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #7 of 41
I didn't thought about it.
But when I took off the pads, I looked at the driver, and there wasn't seem to be any hair or other stuff in there.

Thanks anyway.

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't thought about it.
But when I took off the pads, I looked at the driver, and there wasn't seem to be any hair or other stuff in there.

Thanks anyway.

Np=]
Also try feeling around the driver, you then might discover hair. This is how I found my problem, as my hair is black and hard to see against the driver. Here's a little troubleshooting someone suggested in another thread for this same problem. Switch the cable inputs to your amp around and see if the vibration sound switched from one driver to the other. If it does, then you know it's the cable, source, or amp. Or something like that hhe=]

Good luck=]

Dec 2, 2006 at 12:55 PM Post #9 of 41
Good Idea..
Tried it, and the distortion stays at the left driver.

I took of the leather with the soft screen at the center, I tried closely examine if there is a hear inside the driver couldn't find any, it moved my finger around it and didn't feel anything.

there is one thing that I can't understand though, and it might explain the problem.

it is not a constant distortion, if I play the same track twice sometimes it distorts, and sometimes there is not even slight hint of distortion, very weird
rolleyes.gif

Anyone has an idea why it can happen ? does it sounds like the known rattle problem of the W5000 ?

Dec 2, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 41
When I owned W5000 I experienced the same problem with the Massive Attack - Angel track. It was on the right side with my cans. Luckily I discovered that the problem wasn't in the headphones. It was caused by my amp which was Rudistor RP5.1 at the time. And more specifically it was a faulty or badly installed tube or something. I switched the tubes and the problem disappeared.

Try to switch the tubes on your Singlepower or at least unplug them and clean the pins and then plug back. It might solve the problem.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 41
Thought about it.
I changed some pre/gain tubes just to make sure, as I recently made some tube rolling, it didn't changed.
I think it is also related to the fact th i have received an E5 Signature for a review by a local dealer, with it's sound reproduction, it takes the W5K to a much lower bass and dynamics, that might have revealed what the SB3 couldnt.
I am about to receive my SB3 back from bolder after analog mod, I am afraid that after the brake in it will have the same problem.

Right no I'm still convinced it is something related to the wire as shaking the headphones changes the way and sound of distortion instantly, sometimes it's just goes away, it has to be related to one of the components/wires/etc.. position and/or the way it's connected.

I am lacking a small driver to open the last stage of the phone, which is the 3 little screws keeping the driver or driver housing connected to the big plastic it sits on.

I can take photos if needed, cuse I still got it open.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Dec 2, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 41
I'm think if increasing the mass of the wires (e.g. wraps with insulation tape) from where the ear cup entrance is, up to the wires disappearing into the plastic driver housing. The additional mass and stiffness may make a difference.

Another thought is if the plastic driver housing is in fact the source of vibration? E.g. a little loose.

When you had the wooden cup off, did you tried playing that track? I did with mine, which was how I figured out the problem with mine. I played my "problem" track, while at the same time holding onto the wires. Bare in mind that without the wooden cup, the sound signature was quite different.

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #13 of 41
yes did play it while the cup was open.
I could hear a little constant hiss actually, I guess the screening isn't there for nothing
wink.gif

I could hear the distortion in an obvious way when I played the problematic track, which is indeed, Angel by Massive attack
basshead.gif
(Track #3)

I tried holding and pushing the wire while it happens, it doesn't seem to change.
but shaking the phones changes it, I guess it something inside the housing, which I can't reach right now.
mad.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 41
It's easy to fix. The driver housing is made up of two separate plastic housing held by three screws. Open the housing and put a very thin foam material between the two housing. That will fix it. It's not the cable rattling inside...it's the two plastic housing vibrating. I think the design is rather poor.

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 41
WOW !
basshead.gif

That is shocking information, you mean that both plastic frames actually move/rotates as a result of very low and strong vibration of the membrane itself ?
As I said before, right now I can't open the Plastic covering of the driver, I might be able to do it tomorrow, provided with the right tools.

looking at the inside of the housing, it seems as there is already a thin foam inside, are you sure its good to add another one ?
Would it have any effect on the sound ?

Thanks !
I will report when I will have results/conclusions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back