AT W5000 distortion on the left side
Dec 2, 2006 at 4:33 PM Post #16 of 41
Phew, lucky for me I didn't have to go beyond taping down the wires to the external housing!

Dec 2, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 41
It's very easy to open. They don't "move" per se, but vibrate enough to hear distortion below 100hz. Download free applicaton "ToneGen" and test it before and after the "fix".

Just loosen up the three screws and wedge a piece of thin foam material in few locations and tighten up the screws...but not too tight...just enough. You don't want to strip the plastic with over tightening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Shadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW !
basshead.gif

That is shocking information, you mean that both plastic frames actually move/rotates as a result of very low and strong vibration of the membrane itself ?
As I said before, right now I can't open the Plastic covering of the driver, I might be able to do it tomorrow, provided with the right tools.

Does it have any effect on the sound ?

Thanks !
I will report when I will have results/conclusions.

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #18 of 41
I already made the tonegen test.
It wont distort at any single frequency, but rather at a combination of a low freq waves, 20Hz-100Hz if you put, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 Hz and play them all at the same time, you can easily hear it.

if not,
There is always Angel(my Devil) by Massive attack
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 41
Hmmm...in that case, stop playing that kind of music
wink.gif

Quote:

I already made the tonegen test.
It wont distort at any single frequency, but rather at a combination of a low freq waves, 20Hz-100Hz if you put, 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 Hz and play them all at the same time, you can easily hear it.

if not,
There is always Angel(my Devil) by Massive attack
blink.gif

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:01 PM Post #20 of 41
Bummer...after downloading ToneGen & testing my unit, I hear a slight rattle on the left cup!
frown.gif
It's subtle but audible. Looks like I'll need to perform the DIY suggested by crypt & hoping I don't have to resort to what sk138 suggested.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #21 of 41
It's not hard. It will take less than 30minutes if you are not afraid to take things apart
wink.gif
Make sure you take off any ring so you will not ding the wood cups and lay the cans on a soft towel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bummer...after downloading ToneGen & testing my unit, I hear a slight rattle on the left cup!
frown.gif
It's subtle but audible. Looks like I'll need to perform the DIY suggested by crypt & hoping I don't have to resort to what sk138 suggested.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #22 of 41
what kind of audio pattern have you played to determine that you have a rattle ?

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #23 of 41
Similar to yours, when I play a single tone 30hz ~ 100hz there's absolutely no rattle. But when I play 3 simultaneously, 30, 40, 50 I can hear the rattle faintly. It's very subtle, but there if I hear for it.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:37 PM Post #24 of 41
I see...
I am going to take do the mod tomorrow, I already took it apart 3 times, it's getting easier every time :p

I will post results, and I think it will be wise for you to wait until then if you are afraid to open up the can and play around with it.

Regards.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #25 of 41
Update+Bump !
I opened the can today, down to the driver and driver housing.
Everything looked good, and I couldn't really understand what is making the vibrations, anyway I took SK138's advice and I inserted 3 little pieces of foam inside.
I just got back home to listen.
The Rattle is gone !!!
580smile.gif
but, I can hear less bass on the left side
blink.gif
, just as I suspected, I probably inserted too much of it.
I will try to tune it so I can get no Vibrations and no loss of bass.

anyone here care for explaining what is causing the rattle exactly ?

Regards.

Dec 3, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #26 of 41
Thanks for update! I will first try crypt's suggestion (hoping it will remedy the rattle) today. If that won't suffice, then onto sk138's suggestion (which appears to do the trick!). Pretty nervous opening them up
eek.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 41
Yes...you put too much. I only meant to recommend putting enough to put it between the housing surface area and not inside of it
blink.gif
That's approximately .5cm x .2cm worth of flat foam. The kind of foam that surrounds the wood cup surface inside. Like the thin strip of foam that surrounds the wood cups...you want that kind of effect on the driver housing...just enough between the mating surface area.

You should have zero sonic change with this simple mod.
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

Update+Bump !
I opened the can today, down to the driver and driver housing.
Everything looked good, and I couldn't really understand what is making the vibrations, anyway I took SK138's advice and I inserted 3 little pieces of foam inside.
I just got back home to listen.
The Rattle is gone !!!
580smile.gif
but, I can hear less bass on the left side
blink.gif
, just as I suspected, I probably inserted too much of it.
I will try to tune it so I can get no Vibrations and no loss of bass.

anyone here care for explaining what is causing the rattle exactly ?

Regards.

Dec 4, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #28 of 41
I totally misunderstood you SK138
eek.gif

Now that I have read your first comment on the mod again, I got it properly.

For Now I tried putting a ring of foam between the plastic ring and the driver housing, but it was hard to cut an exact figure, not mentioning putting it in place
redface.gif

I managed to squeeze it somehow, but it's not the best :/
I thought about gluing it, but i don't think it's a good idea.
I consider using Blu-Tack, just a little thin layer of it, because even if I will get an exact foam figure, there is now way I can put it exactly in place, it's too tricky.
What do you think ?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 41
Not that it'll happen that quickly, but blu-tek does tend to dry up and get crumbly. What about some gel like sealant?

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #30 of 41
You don't need an exact ring shape. That would be the idea way to do it...but who has time. Don't use glue or blue tac. That's not a good idea. I just got few small pieces of foam and wedged it between the driver housing. It does not have to fancy. Make sure there is no signicant foam inside the chamber.

Quote:

I totally misunderstood you SK138
eek.gif

Now that I have read your first comment on the mod again, I got it properly.

For Now I tried putting a ring of foam between the plastic ring and the driver housing, but it was hard to cut an exact figure, not mentioning putting it in place
redface.gif

I managed to squeeze it somehow, but it's not the best :/
I thought about gluing it, but i don't think it's a good idea.
I consider using Blu-Tack, just a little thin layer of it, because even if I will get an exact foam figure, there is now way I can put it exactly in place, it's too tricky.
What do you think ?
Any other suggestions ?

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back