AT M50 not loud?
Aug 13, 2011 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

fuzzybear

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys! long time lurking that finally decided to make an account.
anyways i just bought my first pair of audio technica m50 and they are amazing headphones, great sound, SUPER comfortable despite some reviews i read, but i have one question. The M50's dont seem to get too loud even with the volume maxed out, is it the headphones or should i wait the burn out process?

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Something is wrong.  Either of those should be more than capable of cranking the volume up to unbearable levels.

Any idea what it could be? i had a feeling that these phones should be able to handle volume more than my much cheaper ones. I mean it gets loud but definitely not to unbearable levels.

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Two possibilities:

1. Fakes
2. Your definition of loud isn't the same as ours.

If it's the second one, maybe you need an amp. 

I bought them from guitar center so im pretty confident there not fakes lol. I mean dont get me wrong they get loud but its not to that point were its too much like most headphones give, even the cheap ones. I figured it was strange enough to create an account and post to ppl with more experience

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #11 of 19
yeah i was thinking of that but i was hoping the M50 would be able to prove an ample amount of sound without one. All the reviews i read usually mentioned quality sound (which it gets) but i cant seem to find anyone saying its soft. So im thinking i either need to burn it in and wait it out or its just doesnt get that high and deal with it lol
Im kind of hoping itll get louder though, i dont like my music blaring but i do like some volume with certain songs

Aug 13, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 19
Yeah, give it some time to burn in, maybe the sound will change, maybe the volume will get louder.

Or just to be safe you could return the M50s if you're still in the 30 day return period and maybe get a new M50.
It really could've been a manufacturing defect. 

Anyways, all the best :)

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #13 of 19
Make sure your ipod volume limit is not set too low and make sure your laptop system sound isn't lower than your headphone output sound setting.

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 19
I may be no expert or anything but is it possible that some of you music files are like VERY low quality? I had M50's for about a week now (first headphones to take my ear virginity lol) and they sound great to me!

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 19
If it is coming from your laptop, then it should go up to something like 100db with ease. Check your softwares because I've never heard of a laptop that can't supply at least 1mw of power to a 38ohm headphone (which would give you 99db). If nothing at all is wrong with your set up, get someone else to listen to them. If they find it extremely loud, then its probably because that your ears are going deaf. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back