AT ESW10jpn and Ultrasone HFI 780 Briefly Compared, modding notes on the HFI 780's
Mar 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #46 of 48
I just got my pair of 780s. I like the sound as it is, but my ears are touching the inside of the drivers in two places, which I don't like. I've been reading about how people are modding their 780s with Beyer-Dynamic pads, but I haven't heard definitely if this adds width and depth to the ear cup.

Can you comment on that?

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #47 of 48
I use DT250 velours on mine and my ears touch the inside pads. They are comfy. They also fit to the shape of the cups so no width added. Maybe a bit of extra depth as per the stock pleather pads... I guess it mostly depends on what kind of ears you sport 
size]

May 31, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #48 of 48
What's up all?  Just wanted to chime in with my modding of my HFI-780's.  What I did since I did not have any DynaMat on hand, and was impatient in ordering them so, just as I have done in the past of my DIY life, I looked for alternatives....  Which led me to "Liquid Tape"!  What Liquid Tape is, is pretty much liquid rubber, that dries into 'electrical tape'.  It comes in a jar and has a rubber cement type brush built into the cap.  I use this Liquid Tape mainly for rubber coating stuff, so it was a natural choice.  So I slathered several coats onto the cups, tore off the sticker completely (i had 1 hole covered previously) to expose all 4 holes, and I was going to recable later when I purchase those supplies, but then my eyes drifted over to the case for my Brainwavs HM5 and I borrowed the detachable cables (the long ones) and soldered them onto each cup individually, also soldering a hole on the driver side plastic housing, since I couldnt melt the so-called 'painted' aluminum.  Turns out it is really aluminum, an aluminum sticker strip that is, because my soldering iron didnt melt through it at first, lol.  That and the final thing I did was borrow the extra set of ear cushions from the HM5's and, already I notice a sound diff.  Bass is tighter yet still has that 'in your chest' thump, and soundstage idk how, but seems noticably wider.  Detail still there, and the mids seemed to be a little bit more pronounced. Well thanks for reading this lol I know its an essay!  Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back