ASUS Xonar Essence STX II
Feb 27, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #426 of 888
Originally Posted by Renfield1217 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

....I just upgraded my buffer opamps from OPA637's to the Sparkos SS3602. I use my STX II mostly for the stereo line out to feed my main stereo and for some streaming.
The Sparkos are excellent and highly recommended.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Sparkos® SS3602, the best-performing upgrade candidate for my STX' I-V.  Incidentally, I've looked over the Signetics® NE5532 flavors (a dozen-plus from the OEM!), which seem to have all sort of second-source competition from Philips®, Texas Instruments®, Japan Radio Corporation, &c., as candidates for the line-level buffer.  Anybody done chip-rolling with 5532's on an Essence; and if so, which one sounded best of the candidates used?

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #428 of 888
Cost mitigation, as the SS3602 is high bid for op-amp improvements and I've a tight upgrade budget; the NE5532 is reported as smoother than the stock National Semiconductor/Texas Instruments LM45672AN for the line-level buffer in specific while reasonably low in cost.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #429 of 888
  Excuse me 
Anyone ever tryed this card with the HiFiman HE400S ?
Can this card drive 400S greatly ?
The volume is not too high ( al so with minimum gain ) ?

help  
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #431 of 888
Hello,

I previously owned a Xonar D2/PM and was very happy with it. Didn't use headphones before. But later I decided to buy a Sennheiser HD650. As the D2 would not be enough to feed the HD650, I decided to upgrade my soundcard and bought a STX II

However, I am not happy with it. The sound is muddy, not clean and warm enough. It is the same with headphones and speakers.

When I connect HD650 to my Note5 smartphone I am getting the clean and warm sound I am looking for. It sounds as it should be. I read lots of positive reviews before buying the STX II so I believe it should not sound so bad. 

I have not changed anything except the soundcard, hardware or software wise. Using Jriver with asio as I used to.

Do you have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #432 of 888
  Hello,

I previously owned a Xonar D2/PM and was very happy with it. Didn't use headphones before. But later I decided to buy a Sennheiser HD650. As the D2 would not be enough to feed the HD650, I decided to upgrade my soundcard and bought a STX II

However, I am not happy with it. The sound is muddy, not clean and warm enough. It is the same with headphones and speakers.

When I connect HD650 to my Note5 smartphone I am getting the clean and warm sound I am looking for. It sounds as it should be. I read lots of positive reviews before buying the STX II so I believe it should not sound so bad. 

I have not changed anything except the soundcard, hardware or software wise. Using Jriver with asio as I used to.

Do you have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Could be a driver problem, what operating system do you use?

I highly recommend using UNi Xonar Drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back