ASUS Xonar Essence STX + Beyerdynamic DT-990 600 Ohm Gain/Setup Questions
Oct 17, 2013 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

stealthspark3

New Head-Fier
Hello! I have these three components in my setup:

ASUS PCI-Express x1 Sound Card

Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM Headphones

Bravo AUDIO V2 Valve Class A Tube Headphone Amplifier pre 12AU7 TUBE

I was wondering what the gain settings should be in the Xonar Audio Center. At Extra High Gain Windows volume only needs to be about 20% before it gets way too loud, at Normal Gain it's comfortable around 60%. Normally I'd be inclined to select the option that matches my headphone impedance, but I regularly switch between speakers and headphones, so my system volume is often at 100%. I'm worried one day when switching to headphones I'll accidentally leave it at 100% and blow up either my ears, or worse my headphones.

With that said, it makes a lot more sense to keep it at Normal Gain, but I'm getting mixed results from online research. A lot of people say that the gain matters and changes the sound quality/emphasis, and others (specifically this post) claim the gain is irrelevant as long as the end volume matches. From personal tests I can't conclude anything. For the Xonar Essence STX, does the gain setting matter? Would I get better sound keeping it at the option that matches my headphone impedance? I mainly use it to listen to music (of every genre imaginable).

Also, I have a Bravo Audio V2 Tube Headphone Amp that I got so I can drive my DT 990s when playing rhythm games on my Playstation 2/Wii. Its components are stock, and I've read a lot online on how terrible the stock components are, but I haven't noticed any problems (not to mention these systems are only outputting compressed audio). Would my PC setup benefit if I use the Bravo in conjunction with the STX? I tried it with the STX's line out, and I felt it might have sounded better than the amp in the STX.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back