Asus U3 USB Sound card/Amp for Audio-Technica ATH-AD700?
Jul 19, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:
I'm using the Q701 currently.

OMG I WANT THOSE! D: I actually found them on amazon used for $165 at one point. Was a few days from buying them when they shot up to $200 -_-. Looking to sell for around $150? :p

I know the PRO series is supposedly far better than HFI... RESEARCH IS NEEDED!!! 

...I never thought choosing between headphones could be so difficult. -_-

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 28
OMG I WANT THOSE! D: I actually found them on amazon used for $165 at one point. Was a few days from buying them when they shot up to $200 -_-. Looking to sell for around $150? :p

I know the PRO series is supposedly far better than HFI... RESEARCH IS NEEDED!!! 

...I never thought choosing between headphones could be so difficult. -_-

I will be selling my AKGs once I get my HD800 soon but for the time being I need them and chances are I'll sell them to my friend.

Jul 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:
Can you suggest any full sized cans that would work well with the U3? You seem pretty knowledgeable. Something in the $90-$140 range that would work well for both music and gaming? (Big soundstage, not to bass heavy...)

And again, thank you for the awesome replies.

The Xonar U3 is a fantastic USB soundcard but its major problem is its 23 ohm output impedance. Which will cause most headphones to alter their frequency response and sound "wrong". For example headphones like the HD555 and K240 will be affected, while the AD700 and Q701 will not be affected due to their flat impedance. You can research "impedance vs frequency" graphs on headroom to confirm whether a headphone has a flat impedance.

If you want the AKG K240, you can use it with the Xonar U3 + Fiio E6.

39.60 + 22.99 + 84.99 = 147.58 (within your budget)
It can be 137.58 if you do the rebate on amazon

It will be PC -> Xonar U3 Via USB -> Audio cable -> Fiio E6 -> AKG K240

(The Fiio comes with audio cables)
This setup might be a little un-aesthethic as it involves two devices, but it would work very well.
You might need another USB port to charge/power the Fiio amp.

Jul 20, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
The Xonar U3 is a fantastic USB soundcard but its major problem is its 23 ohm output impedance. Which will cause most headphones to alter their frequency response and sound "wrong". For example headphones like the HD555 and K240 will be affected, while the AD700 and Q701 will not be affected due to their flat impedance. You can research "impedance vs frequency" graphs on headroom to confirm whether a headphone has a flat impedance.

If you want the AKG K240, you can use it with the Xonar U3 + Fiio E6.

39.60 + 22.99 + 84.99 = 147.58 (within your budget)
It can be 137.58 if you do the rebate on amazon

It will be PC -> Xonar U3 Via USB -> Audio cable -> Fiio E6 -> AKG K240

(The Fiio comes with audio cables)
This setup might be a little un-aesthethic as it involves two devices, but it would work very well.
You might need another USB port to charge/power the Fiio amp.

Awesome, thank you so much. I'll definitely be doing this. I can even get the U3 for $25 after rebate on NCIX.com. 

Great reply, not only does it answer my question, but it taught me about headphones as well! :D Thank you!

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #27 of 28
Awesome, thank you so much. I'll definitely be doing this. I can even get the U3 for $25 after rebate on NCIX.com. 

Great reply, not only does it answer my question, but it taught me about headphones as well! :D Thank you!

Nice, I have actually used this setup (U3 + E6) a few times for portable gaming/music. You might get some difficulty in using the U3 with the E6 with regards to volume control. There is no "right" way to do volume control.

In case you are having difficulty you can follow what I do, I like my method because it allows me to control the volume directly from the Fiio, I don't like controlling the volume from the PC, but it can be done that way (you can experiment). But it's not good to have high volume levels on the E6 because it will hiss, on medium/low levels it won't hiss.

Install the U3's drivers (note it has to be installed once for each USB port)
Set it to Hifi and Exciter mode
Set volume to 100%
Use the Fiio E6 on the 4th setting (the purple setting, this is for high gain sources)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy.

Apr 9, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #28 of 28
Hello,

i never bothered with audio much in PCs , at the first years i was all about creative till i realized how bad they are with drivers. Since then i moved on and after becoming a dad with 2 kids i realized i need good headphones. Add the age factor, where you want quality over high volume :p, and i made my research on headphones and sound cards.

It is pretty obvious for me that i won't bother with real 5.1 7.1 headphones as i am pretty sure i won't go to competitive online fps games ever again. A dolby digital live or surround sound going to analog headphones of good quality is sufficient, so that i can enjoy music and movies/tv series while the kids are asleep :) .

But my talented 10month son, after his first contact with my mobile phone that resulted to the later's destruction also touched my old gaming headset (WoW creative wired headset) and that was also destroyed somehow..(cables leading from left to right are cut, and the board doesnt seem to be powered..etcetc). 2 Touches 2 Deaths ..

aanyway, i made my research for a low budget optimal sound experience and i ended up on the Xonar U3 like you guys in here (due to low budget).

However wouldn't , if the budget allows, a http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000038781911&MenuID=105026001 be better? 0.3Ω impedance

The conclusion, sorry for all this text, is that it seems i must research for a 600ohm headphone (unless i go for a Fioo11 and select any headphone). Are there headphones of this impedance on the price range of 50-100 $?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back