Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #2,492 of 3,573
Quote:
Thanks. Huh, I havent noticed any channel imbalance or volume scale issues with mine, but maybe Ill give ASUS a call and see if I can get them to swap it out for me anyway. Has anyone located a source to just buy the A10K pots so we can do the swap ourselves?

If you have been following the thread, you can order the A10K through Taiwan (Alpha) who make them. Only problem is, it minimum 2000 order. Cost are $2.50 each @ 2000 unit. No one else, stocks them. Tried digikey, mouser, rs component, element 14, chip1shop, a few other company. Gave up after they all told me 2000 minimum order and no sample :frowning2:

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #2,494 of 3,573
Hit up the Head-Fi user ASUSXONAR about getting an E1 with the B10K pots swapped out for a new one and still havent heard back. I had read earlier in this thread that member works for ASUS and has helped others out with that issue before.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #2,495 of 3,573
Quote:
Hit up the Head-Fi user ASUSXONAR about getting an E1 with the B10K pots swapped out for a new one and still havent heard back. I had read earlier in this thread that member works for ASUS and has helped others out with that issue before.

I did the same thing about 5 days ago and have also heard nothing back, I see he has been on a few times since then.

HOPE he responds to both of us!!! 
beerchug.gif

edit: in addition to imbalance I am having this exact problem as well http://www.head-fi.org/t/542563/asus-essence-one-headphone-amp-dac-cebit-2011/1710#post_9209002

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #2,498 of 3,573
Quote:
How do I know if I have a Muses Edition with the B10K pots ?
Also, is the gains switch an internal switch ?
(I really don't want to open the case )

The case was made to be opened easily. ASUS intended for people to be going in there swapping op amps. So dont worry its very easy and pretty quick too. 12 screws IIRC, 8 in the back, and four up front and the whole things slides on from the front.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #2,501 of 3,573
I got my Essence One Muses Edition back and yeah there's no question the dac is vastly superior to the one in the HDVD 800. I only got quick impressions before as I used it for a day before going back to the store with it. When I then used the HDVD 800 again for a week and now went back to the Essence One the upgrade in quality going to the Muses Edition was clear.

I'm really enjoying the combination of the Essence One as dac and HDVD 800 as amp. With the HD 800 it feels like the tone of the sound has been nudged in the right direction to make instruments sound completely natural, and if the recording is good enough vocalists just sound amazing. It's without a doubt the best I've ever heard the HD 800 sound in the now 3+ years I've had them. In the coming week I might be getting some more Muses01 op-amps, so it'll be interesting to hear if the Essence One sounds even better with all Muses01 in there.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2,503 of 3,573
Quote:
I got my Essence One Muses Edition back and yeah there's no question the dac is vastly superior to the one in the HDVD 800. I only got quick impressions before as I used it for a day before going back to the store with it. When I then used the HDVD 800 again for a week and now went back to the Essence One the upgrade in quality going to the Muses Edition was clear.

I'm really enjoying the combination of the Essence One as dac and HDVD 800 as amp. With the HD 800 it feels like the tone of the sound has been nudged in the right direction to make instruments sound completely natural, and if the recording is good enough vocalists just sound amazing. It's without a doubt the best I've ever heard the HD 800 sound in the now 3+ years I've had them. In the coming week I might be getting some more Muses01 op-amps, so it'll be interesting to hear if the Essence One sounds even better with all Muses01 in there.

Good to hear. Save me from wasting the money on the HDVD 800. Rather put the money into the HD-800's!

Aug 18, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #2,504 of 3,573
Quote:

Awesome write-up Manko, I agree the E1 muses is hard to beat

I don't know of any dac under 2k that's better than E1 muses "SQ alone" which band snobs will never know
eek.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,505 of 3,573
Quote:

This would put a big grin on XE1 owners face. Two people is not a coincidence.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/666037/asus-xonar-essence-one-muses-edition-amp-dac <<-- original post, selling XE1 to purchase the HDVD 800.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/668406/sennheiser-hdvd-800 <<-- Same seller ended up selling the HDVD 800 and another high end device instead of the XE1.

TheManko sell the HDVD 800 and get the HDVD600 instead as it the amp section of the HDVD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back