Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 20, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #2,521 of 3,573
Quote:
I was thinking of getting a Fostex TH600 to go with essence one muses upgraded DAC, anyone have experiences of their synergy?

Nice choice great headphone
gs1000.gif

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #2,522 of 3,573
My final end game mod to my XE1 (MUSES 2.0 Mod), no more mod for a while. Finished replacing all electrolytic capacitors to Nichicon MUSES range (Fine Gold). Reflow all solder joints under the PCB, seem to have fix the imbalance issue with the preamp knob which I switch with the headphone. Was so excited to get it running, put everything together and realized I forgot to connect the data cable under the PCB. Dohhh.h......h.h....

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,523 of 3,573
Awesome mate, looks professionally upgraded Gratz......

How many man hours went into it including research?..... better question what the SQ like compared to standard?

Very cool
beerchug.gif

Aug 23, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #2,525 of 3,573

Quote:
Awesome mate, looks professionally upgraded Gratz......

How many man hours went into it including research?..... better question what the SQ like compared to standard?

Very cool 
beerchug.gif

Yeah thanks for the feedback. I tried to make it neat and clean as possible while maintaining the stock look. Giant caps floating on lead wire just looks so wrong.
20-25 Hours went into reading the thread and learning from what other head fi member already know.
Additional 30 hours researching component size/value/specs to make sure work they well after switching over stock components.

12-14 hours to physically do all the modification. Stage in order, thermal pad for power supply, power supply caps, B10K volume switch over, decoupling WIMA caps. Nichicon electrolytic caps. Finalizing decoupling WIMA caps 1800pF/22nF. Reflow PCB and heatsink for DSP.

As with impression, only had a quick listen to the LCD3 and & HD800. Still burning in, clarity seem to have improved on the LCD 3. The HD800 sounds a bit warmer than before the mods.

Very cool indeed awesome work man.

Thanks for the comment. Really appreciate it

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #2,529 of 3,573
I was watching the WAN show on the Linus tech tips channel on YouTube. They had JJ from Asus as a special guest and he said they were planning a new product to surpass the E1. Didn't give a time frame just said but was in the works

Aug 29, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2,533 of 3,573
Quote:
My final end game mod to my XE1 (MUSES 2.0 Mod), no more mod for a while. Finished replacing all electrolytic capacitors to Nichicon MUSES range (Fine Gold). Reflow all solder joints under the PCB, seem to have fix the imbalance issue with the preamp knob which I switch with the headphone. Was so excited to get it running, put everything together and realized I forgot to connect the data cable under the PCB. Dohhh.h......h.h....

Nice modifications.

It would of been nice if you were able to source the WIMA's all in FKP2, but i do know the 8200pF is a tough-y. I think i see a Kemet (sky blue) in there.
The DSP and every other chip does not need a heatsink. I've tested it myself and they run fairly cool.

How's the fine gold sound to you?
Do you like it?

Aug 29, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #2,535 of 3,573
I don't consider DSD a upgrade, just a added feature that is more gimmicky than useful, the only true DSD recordings are of live unmixed recordings, as far as I know mixed DSD recordings are PCM mixed before being re-sampled to DSD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back