Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,506 of 3,573
Quote:
TheManko sell the HDVD 800 and get the HDVD600 instead as it the amp section of the HDVD800.

I've had the HDVD 800 for ~4 months and I don't think I'd end up saving enough to make it worth the hassle going to the HDVA 600 instead. The price difference between the two isn't that big, and I guess that's where the problem with the HDVD 800 dac comes in. They cheaped out on it compared to the amp.

Aug 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #2,509 of 3,573
Nice to read more comparisons of the Essence One. For me this is the most underrated piece of gear in the audio world ever and easily tops DACs costing way north of 1000$ (i actually did the comparisons...). The headphone amp is also a very capable performer though nowadays i only have low to mid impedance headphones and no planars to test it with.

Aug 19, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,510 of 3,573
Hi folks

Forgive the rather beginner question but id like to play vinyl through the unbalanced left/right output on the essence one. So when I'm not playing digital files from the computer through the usb I can be listening to records through the same amp, however I'm struggling to see whether or not the original essence one actually has a pre-amp on it or not. 

Do I need to run it through a separate pre-amp unit in order to accomplish this and if so what would be the best ideal setup for such a kit?

I'm running the lcd-3 headphone and all i want the vinyl component for is for a bit of random 80s synthesizer music crossed with some jj cale from time to time :) 

Thanks, folks

Aug 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #2,511 of 3,573
Quote:
Hi folks

Forgive the rather beginner question but id like to play vinyl through the unbalanced left/right output on the essence one. So when I'm not playing digital files from the computer through the usb I can be listening to records through the same amp, however I'm struggling to see whether or not the original essence one actually has a pre-amp on it or not. 

Do I need to run it through a separate pre-amp unit in order to accomplish this and if so what would be the best ideal setup for such a kit?

I'm running the lcd-3 headphone and all i want the vinyl component for is for a bit of random 80s synthesizer music crossed with some jj cale from time to time :) 

Thanks, folks

The Essence One does not have an analog input. I wish it did...

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #2,512 of 3,573
Anyone know how the E1 compares to the Anedio D2 or Matrix X-Sabre? I'm looking for a good DAC to pair with a Phonitor when I eventually get one... So i'm wondering if I should put the money into MUSES upgrade for my E1 (currently on LME49720s and LME49710s) or save up for a better DAC.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #2,513 of 3,573
Quote:
Anyone know how the E1 compares to the Anedio D2 or Matrix X-Sabre? I'm looking for a good DAC to pair with a Phonitor when I eventually get one... So i'm wondering if I should put the money into MUSES upgrade for my E1 (currently on LME49720s and LME49710s) or save up for a better DAC.

Safe to say MUSES upgrade....

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #2,514 of 3,573
This is really awesome to  see so many people liking the E1 muses edition and even liking it better then the HDVD 800. I've been putting off getting one for a time now just to see what others think of this dac hopefully this xmas I'll be joining you guys in owning one.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #2,515 of 3,573
This is really awesome to  see so many people liking the E1 muses edition and even liking it better then the HDVD 800. I've been putting off getting one for a time now just to see what others think of this dac hopefully this xmas I'll be joining you guys in owning one.

Definitely a good investment for under 400 bucks

Aug 20, 2013 at 3:16 AM Post #2,517 of 3,573
Just want to make things more clear when I said this a page back "I don't know of any dac under 2k that's better than E1 muses "SQ alone"

I was referring to the  Muses Edition, or Muses upgrade, not standard or Plus edition or for any other opamp combo

Sorry for any confusion my previous post has made, hopefully this post is now crystal clear.....

Aug 20, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #2,520 of 3,573
I was thinking of getting a Fostex TH600 to go with essence one muses upgraded DAC, anyone have experiences of their synergy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back