Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Aug 10, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #2,461 of 3,573
Huh, well aside from what one persons hears and what another doenst, I say unless you own BOTH a base E1 AND a MUSES01 E1 and can compare them side by side there is really no way to get a truth tell on the improvement youre getting with the MUSES01s.

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,462 of 3,573
Wow! 30-40 percent up from 4562 is a huge jump.

Perhaps that's why, muses command  a hefty premium over other op amps. 

If one conclusion I could draw from your experience is that rather than spending money (and time) on trying a number of lower-priced op amps, it is better to buy muses in one go and settle the matter, at least for a considerable time till another new hi-end op amp surfaces and ups the competition.

Yeah that's correct, I don't think I'll ever use my other op amps now.

I was lucky enough to get mine from a headfier here called"Gandah"! :wink:

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2,463 of 3,573
Huh, well aside from what one persons hears and what another doenst, I say unless you own BOTH a base E1 AND a MUSES01 E1 and can compare them side by side there is really no way to get a truth tell on the improvement youre getting with the MUSES01s.

I was a bit skeptical before when I read other people here saying how good the Muses01 are compared to the other op amps. But now I have it I do really prefer them to the other ones!

Aug 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,465 of 3,573
Which HPs you used while testing muses?

Which other op amps you got? Are these available to forum members for sale?

Gandah: from where you procured muses?

I used to use my DT880 600 ohms for testing, but tonight I used my new favorite headphone: K340

Gandah has posted an ebay link to which he got the Muses01 in one of post here.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #2,466 of 3,573
I had the opportunity to use a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition here at home and compare it with my HDVD 800, using both my speakers (B&W CM 8 with two subs) and HD 800. I never used the headamp on the Essence One, instead I connected it via XLR to the balanced inputs on the HDVD 800 and used the amp section with my balanced HD 800 headphones. The RCA outputs on the Essence One were connected to the Main In input on my Nad C 375 amp, so I was using the Essence One as a pre-amp for my speakers.

The difference between the two dacs was quite big. The Essence One Muses Edition had a thick bassy sound that seemed to emphasize instruments and visceral impact over vocals and neutral balance. It wasn't a slight emphasis either, as it was hard to make out what vocalists were singing in some parts with the Essence One, while the HDVD 800 dac presented the songs much more clearly. I'd describe it as the HDVD 800 presenting the sound with neutral clarity and precision, while the Essence One instead presented the emotional intentions of the artists.

There's no doubt I enjoyed the music more with the Essence One, but also no doubt that I could hear much more clearly what was going on with the HDVD 800. The Essence One sound didn't seem sloppy or anything. It sounded more organic and in most cases more natural, even if it clearly wasn't neutral. The HDVD 800 dac sounded more "digital", or I guess more like a scientific instrument than something made to enjoy music with. In almost all genres the Essence One was more fun to listen to, while the HDVD 800 just seemed a bit boring in comparison, even if the mids and highs were presented with more clarity. I'm tempted to get a Essence One Muses Edition now since the style of sound was so different from the HDVD 800 that it'd be fun to have both flavors of sound available to listen to.

Aug 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #2,467 of 3,573
I highly recommend trying out OPA2227 in I/V and LME49990 in LPF's if you cannot afford the MUSES and/or want a clean and deeper bass including a great soundstage.
This combo have been my favorite since quite some time now.

@TheManko: Thanks a lot for your impressions. I was thinking about upgrading to a HDVD800 but it turns out that I will stay with my E1 for now... :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2,468 of 3,573
Quote:

Takeaway what you want..... With my time with the E1 opamp combo rolling I agree 100% with DMax99 30-40% difference, maybe I would even say more than 40%, the E1 muses combo is that GOOD.

Now that I have replaced my E1 with a much more high-end dac being Calyx Femto, as good as this dac is in all areas compared to the E1 muses, there is one thing I'm missing that the Muses has over this dac and that is a very smooth top-end

I can honestly say the muses out superior any opamp I have ever rolled, and I don't even own E1 anymore so I'm non-biased

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #2,469 of 3,573
Quote:
I highly recommend trying out OPA2227 in I/V and LME49990 in LPF's if you cannot afford the MUSES and/or want a clean and deeper bass including a great soundstage.
This combo have been my favorite since quite some time now.

@TheManko: Thanks a lot for your impressions. I was thinking about upgrading to a HDVD800 but it turns out that I will stay with my E1 for now... :)

Since 49990 requires soldering, which other op amp of DIP8 type would you suggest as an alternative?

Did you also try 2132 in I/V stage as recommended by many members? If yes, kindly share the experience. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #2,471 of 3,573
Quote:
If one conclusion I could draw from your experience is that rather than spending money (and time) on trying a number of lower-priced op amps, it is better to buy muses in one go and settle the matter, at least for a considerable time till another new hi-end op amp surfaces and ups the competition.

Amen!   I did a lot of swapping before going for the Muses.  Did get a lot of samples but still had to buy many opamp as the limit on free samples is 3 chips.  In addition I had to acquire single to dual adapters, solder the chips in place, etc.   Would have been much easier  and less costly to got directly for the Muses, however, like most of you,  I didn't see putting out that kind of money any had hope that something less expensive would satisfy me.   Satisfaction was elusive and once I decided to spring for the Muses I couldn't believe the difference and recommend it wholeheartedly. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #2,472 of 3,573
Quote:
To avoid any damage to opamps during rolling, I am buying 12 pieces of DIP IC socket (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390422337315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 )

My questions: Do I need to solder the op amps on these sockets? Or should I just put them into the sockets and they remain stable there unless I put EI upside down?. 

No soldering needed with those sockets, you just jam the IC into those pins and they are damn near permanent in there. Its pretty tough to get them out of those sockets some times.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #2,473 of 3,573
To avoid any damage to opamps during rolling, I am buying 12 pieces of DIP IC socket (http://www.ebay.com/itm/390422337315?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
 )

My questions: Do I need to solder the op amps on these sockets? Or should I just put them into the sockets and they remain stable there unless I put EI upside down?. 

Yeah they are very good and just like those sockets on the e1, you can just pop the op amps on them. They are a must for me, make rolling so much easier!

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #2,474 of 3,573
Quote:
I had the opportunity to use a Xonar Essence One Muses Edition here at home and compare it with my HDVD 800, using both my speakers (B&W CM 8 with two subs) and HD 800. I never used the headamp on the Essence One, instead I connected it via XLR to the balanced inputs on the HDVD 800 and used the amp section with my balanced HD 800 headphones. The RCA outputs on the Essence One were connected to the Main In input on my Nad C 375 amp, so I was using the Essence One as a pre-amp for my speakers.

The difference between the two dacs was quite big. The Essence One Muses Edition had a thick bassy sound that seemed to emphasize instruments and visceral impact over vocals and neutral balance. It wasn't a slight emphasis either, as it was hard to make out what vocalists were singing in some parts with the Essence One, while the HDVD 800 dac presented the songs much more clearly. I'd describe it as the HDVD 800 presenting the sound with neutral clarity and precision, while the Essence One instead presented the emotional intentions of the artists.

There's no doubt I enjoyed the music more with the Essence One, but also no doubt that I could hear much more clearly what was going on with the HDVD 800. The Essence One sound didn't seem sloppy or anything. It sounded more organic and in most cases more natural, even if it clearly wasn't neutral. The HDVD 800 dac sounded more "digital", or I guess more like a scientific instrument than something made to enjoy music with. In almost all genres the Essence One was more fun to listen to, while the HDVD 800 just seemed a bit boring in comparison, even if the mids and highs were presented with more clarity. I'm tempted to get a Essence One Muses Edition now since the style of sound was so different from the HDVD 800 that it'd be fun to have both flavors of sound available to listen to.

Funny you mention this as I was saving up for the HDVD 800 at the start of the year. Lucky for me someone on the HDVD800 thread bought one. He also had the Essence One Muses and was trying to sale it off in the trade/amp section after he bought the HDVD800. After 3-4 week, he withdraw the ad and ended up selling the HDVD800 and some other high end DAC. He stating out of the 3 he enjoy the sound from the XE1 Muses. I was so lucky to come across his post on the thread and ended up with the XE1 and had enough money to get the LCD3 instead of the HDVD800. Your comment only only cemented that I made the right decision to not get the HDVD800.

Thank you.

Aug 12, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #2,475 of 3,573
Quote:
Takeaway what you want..... With my time with the E1 opamp combo rolling I agree 100% with DMax99 30-40% difference, maybe I would even say more than 40%, the E1 muses combo is that GOOD.

Now that I have replaced my E1 with a much more high-end dac being Calyx Femto, as good as this dac is in all areas compared to the E1 muses, there is one thing I'm missing that the Muses has over this dac and that is a very smooth top-end

I can honestly say the muses out superior any opamp I have ever rolled, and I don't even own E1 anymore so I'm non-biased

Congrats on your new DAC (Is the Calyx Femto based on the ES9018 dac?). What happened to your E1 did ASUS ended up refunding you or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back