Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,801 of 3,573
Upsampling is really not to my taste, I'll stick to oversampling anytime of the day: http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/upsampling-vs-oversampling-for-digital-audio

Quote:
The effects of upsampling are greatly debated. While it is true that upsampling does help us in attenuating the amount of jitter caused by sampling errors and an inaccurate clock [..] The effects of upsampling are no doubt overstated. By carefully designing the sampler, ADC, digital processing path, and oversampling DAC, the upsampling and asynchronous rate transfer can, in my opinion, be avoided.

ASRC is usually a dirty fix to jitter tolerance, but the ONE reclocks all inputs via a 32bit float Sharc DSP so jitter is a non-issue to begin with.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,802 of 3,573
Some reviewers said that if you set the volume too low then the left channel is more loud than the other one. Has Asus fixed this (does this exists on One Plus and Muses Edition also)? Does anyone know please?

Also, can someone please tell me where can I buy the Muses Edition in Europe please?

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,803 of 3,573
Quote:
Some reviewers said that if you set the volume too low then the left channel is more loud than the other one. Has Asus fixed this (does this exists on One Plus and Muses Edition also)? Does anyone know please?

Also, can someone please tell me where can I buy the Muses Edition in Europe please?

Should exist on all models, as the only difference is in the op-amps.

Left is louder for me until about 20-30% of the volume bar.
Just keep your computer's volume bar a little lower, that is a simple fix.

Mar 19, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,804 of 3,573
Just want to let anyone who is looking to buy muses01 op-amps, here is a email reply I received just a moment ago that may help out

Quote:
Dear Mr. Steve,

Thank you for your enquiry through our website.
This is Ishizuka from NJR Singapore sales.

About your request to buy MUSES01 (6pcs), we will introduce the following web site for you.
http://www.chip1stop.com/web/JPN/en/support.do?cat=000001&itm=000020

Please enjoy HiFi sound with MUSES01.

Best regards,

Ishizuka
NJRSP

Unfortunately for me, I did not receive this reply from NJR timely before buying muses off ebay. I just hope they are the real-deal
rolleyes.gif

So for anyone considering upgrading to muses and don't want the risk of ebay, your in luck
gs1000.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #1,806 of 3,573
Yeah I think they will be the real deal. Tim aka cssarrow also got his m01 off the same ebayer, which he said he is happy with them.

Just wish they were here already, the wait is doing my head-in
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #1,807 of 3,573
Quote:
Just want to let anyone who is looking to buy muses01 op-amps, here is a email reply I received just a moment ago that may help out

Unfortunately for me, I did not receive this reply from NJR timely before buying muses off ebay. I just hope they are the real-deal
rolleyes.gif

So for anyone considering upgrading to muses and don't want the risk of ebay, your in luck
gs1000.gif

I've sent a request for a quote...hopefully they have it at a reasonable price.

Cheers !!

Mar 20, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #1,808 of 3,573
Quote:

I've sent a request for a quote...hopefully they have it at a reasonable price.

Cheers !!

Cool, yeah it's a bit weird how you have to ask for a quote to find out the pricing. Because my op's are already on the way I never asked for a quote. However will be interesting to see what you end up getting them for, and I'm sure others are curious as well. keep us in the loop mnfox

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #1,809 of 3,573
1) Can someone who tested both standard and Muses edition comment on sound difference? Will I hear any difference using HD 598?

2) Also, will I be able to use 50 ohm headphones with Essence One or they will be too loud?

3) Why the Muses edition doesn't have 11 Muses op amps and got only 6?

Thanks.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,810 of 3,573
Quote:
1) Can someone who tested both standard and Muses edition comment on sound difference? Will I hear any difference using HD 598?

2) Also, will I be able to use 50 ohm headphones with Essence One or they will be too loud?

3) Why the Muses edition doesn't have 11 Muses op amps and got only 6?

Thanks.

You should read from page 80 and onwards.

Standard vs Muses are only different for their OP-Amps.
Since you use 598's, the upgraded Essence Version, the Muses, will help with your headphones as they are more suited for classical, which i found the MUSES01 op-amps to address really well with.

50ohm headphones work fine, i'm even using some 30-35 ohm non-orthodynamic and is perfectly usable.

Each Op-Amp are $50 and over.
The 6 that are placed in I/V and LFP affects all outputs, while the buffers would only affect their specific channel output.

So say for example, if you have 2 that are put in the XLR's Buffer, and you end up not using XLR, then you'll end up losing $100.

Not everyone is going to use all outputs, thus ASUS made it ultimately up to the consumer in terms of op-amps, providing easability of letting them do it themselves. (personal sound tweaks)

I bought mine from ebay for around $58.9 each, don't really recommend it, so if you find a better deal, go for it.

Tim

Mar 20, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #1,812 of 3,573
Quote:
Has anyone tried this DAC with the Sennheiser Momentums?  When I tried them, it sounded horrible.  There's some sort of incompatibility.

have you tried other phones with the dac? I also use low impedance phones not quite as low as Momentums of 18Ω however that should not be a problem as 16Ω is the lowest recommendation

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,813 of 3,573
Bad luck for me with the Essence One.

One of the Elna Silmic II 220uF 35V capacitors i used for the Right Chanel RCA gave out, and while taking them out, the copper sockets came along.
Followed the leads to attempt soldering it onto a resistor, and the resistor came out.

mad.gif

Resistor is super small and has the words "01A" or "01R", if anyone knows what resistance that is and where to get one cheap, that would be awesome.
Did some research and it's either 100 Ω or 1Ω, gee.... big difference.

Tim

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:56 AM Post #1,814 of 3,573
Quote:
Bad luck for me with the Essence One.

One of the Elna Silmic II 220uF 35V capacitors i used for the Right Chanel RCA gave out, and while taking them out, the copper sockets came along.
Followed the leads to attempt soldering it onto a resistor, and the resistor came out.

mad.gif

Resistor is super small and has the words "01A" or "01R", if anyone knows what resistance that is and where to get one cheap, that would be awesome.
Did some research and it's either 100 Ω or 1Ω, gee.... big difference.

Tim

01A = 100 Ω
01R = 1 Ω
Any multimeter will help you. If this one is broken, there should be other soldered on tke pcb (to measure) - for left channel, as layout is mostly symetrical.

Mar 21, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,815 of 3,573
Quote:
01A = 100 Ω
01R = 1 Ω
Any multimeter will help you. If this one is broken, there should be other soldered on tke pcb (to measure) - for left channel, as layout is mostly symetrical.

Yeah, it's broken, the metal ends flew off.
I see the same value for the left channel, so i'll get to measuring it in the morning, totally forgot about using a multi-meter.
This is why i like Head-Fi, thanks so much DMarasovic.

What do you think the size of the smd resistor is based on this picture:

Either get one on ebay, nearby radio shack, or just put a regular size 100ohm <1% in there.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back