Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #1,831 of 3,573
Just added two dual LME48710HA's to the headphone out.

Greater clarity, detail, and instrument seperation compared to the stock op-amps.

Feels like a veil has been lifted from the music.

Great improvement for the LCD-2's which are darker anyway.

This is just and initial impression but they are definitely staying in my E1!

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,832 of 3,573
Quote:
Just added two dual LME48710HA's to the headphone out.

Greater clarity, detail, and instrument seperation compared to the stock op-amps.

Feels like a veil has been lifted from the music.

Great improvement for the LCD-2's which are darker anyway.

This is just and initial impression but they are definitely staying in my E1!

48710? If you mean the 49710, i feel the same way.

The op-amps are a much brighter than stock, and a tad brighter than LME498720/LM4562.
Works GREAT with the darker LCD-2.
Was a little too bright with the Hifiman HE-500 when i tried it, but sounded good with the lower treble HE-400.

All i know is LME49710HA + Muses01 + LCD-2 = Win.

Tim

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #1,834 of 3,573
With the 49990 in i/v i didn´t have any oscillation noises, the ad797 was unstable in every position. Right now i am using the 49990 in i/v and the 49710 in every other position. The 49710 is less bright than the 49720 so it suits more in the one. 

Mar 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #1,835 of 3,573
Very nice!

I also found 49710 to be a little smoother sounding than the 49720.

Mar 24, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,836 of 3,573
Hi,
anyone experience problem playing 24/192 via Coaxial to E1?

i'm using QLS-660 and cant get any lock in 192. The old firmware even worst which couldnt lock anything but 44.1. After I upgraded it, all can be locked, except 192.

i have tried with Lavry and Lynx without any issue. So I dont think my QLS is the main problem.

thanks.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #1,837 of 3,573
Looks like the opa827 is a nice alternative for the 49710 in the buffer. The 49710 tends to be a bit too direct sounding, it can be unpleasant if you listen for longer periods. The opa827 is smoother sounding so the people who had problems with sharp high notes should try it out. In terms of sound quality they seem to be pretty much on the same level.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #1,839 of 3,573
Quote:
Hi,
anyone experience problem playing 24/192 via Coaxial to E1?

i'm using QLS-660 and cant get any lock in 192. The old firmware even worst which couldnt lock anything but 44.1. After I upgraded it, all can be locked, except 192.

i have tried with Lavry and Lynx without any issue. So I dont think my QLS is the main problem.

No problems via any input.

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #1,843 of 3,573
Hi,

Is there any interest among owners of Asus Essence One, of a Passive I/V drop in PCB/socket for each of the four dual opamp  that does the I/V  ?

For the last six month or so, I have been using a passive I/V circuit for my Asus E1 and to my ears it beats any opamp that I have listen to!

My circuit is also providing negative bias current (-3.5mA) for the Iout of the PCM1795, so that the Iout pin is kept close to 0V DC as possible. 
And it uses a fixed resistor to do the I/V combined with the input impedans of the following amplifier.  My circuit gives about 267mVrms for each Iout. 

My circuit is constructed such way that there is no need to modify the main PCB so you can always go back to the original configuration with opamps for I/V.
PCB is 17x17mm with 7 pcs SMD 1206 and one 100uF capacitor to decouple negative bias point. Panasonic FR series.

I also have an piggybag solution to get extra gain on the XLR output to compensate for the lower output of passive I/V.  Again no modification is need on the main PCB  

PCB has not been made yet, as I would like to know if there is an interest out there first!

Cheers
Flemming Bach
BachAudio
of Denmark

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,844 of 3,573
Quote:
Hi,

Is there any interest among owners of Asus Essence One, of a Passive I/V drop in PCB/socket for each of the four dual opamp  that does the I/V  ?

For the last six month or so, I have been using a passive I/V circuit for my Asus E1 and to my ears it beats any opamp that I have listen to!

My circuit is also providing negative bias current (-3.5mA) for the Iout of the PCM1795, so that the Iout pin is kept close to 0V DC as possible. 
And it uses a fixed resistor to do the I/V combined with the input impedans of the following amplifier.  My circuit gives about 267mVrms for each Iout. 

My circuit is constructed such way that there is no need to modify the main PCB so you can always go back to the original configuration with opamps for I/V.
PCB is 17x17mm with 7 pcs SMD 1206 and one 100uF capacitor to decouple negative bias point. Panasonic FR series.

I also have an piggybag solution to get extra gain on the XLR output to compensate for the lower output of passive I/V.  Again no modification is need on the main PCB  

PCB has not been made yet, as I would like to know if there is an interest out there first!

Cheers
Flemming Bach
BachAudio
of Denmark

Is there a picture you can show us so that we can understand more of what you're talking about?

If they are better than MUSES01, i'd be interested.

Tim

Mar 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM Post #1,845 of 3,573
Quote:
Hi,

Cheers
Flemming Bach
BachAudio
of Denmark

Sounds interesting, it would be interesting to hear how it sounds compared to good op amps in the i/v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back