Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Mar 13, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #1,787 of 3,573
Mar 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,789 of 3,573
Quote:
Might be worth writing up your system config and a parts list. Doesn't seem this is a common problem. What configuration changes if any have you made to Foobar? Is this install of Windows 7 fresh, or do you have lots of background services and apps running?

-Raja

i7 3770k
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Asus GTX 680 Direct CUII
8GB GSkill DDR3 2133
Corsair AX750i
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD
2TB WD Green

Windows installation done fresh. Haven't made any changes to foobar besides installing the ASIO support add-on.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #1,790 of 3,573
Do you by any chance have your ram set at the wrong timing?
Make sure XMP Profile is correct under BIOS.

Try changing it from 1T/1N to 2T/2N to see if the problem goes away.
Other than that, i don't see what could be wrong.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #1,791 of 3,573
Quote:

And just for fun another link that completely disagrees 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:40 AM Post #1,792 of 3,573
Quote:
Do you by any chance have your ram set at the wrong timing?
Make sure XMP Profile is correct under BIOS.

Try changing it from 1T/1N to 2T/2N to see if the problem goes away.
Other than that, i don't see what could be wrong.

I am running XMP. 

Is seems like a really weird issue, as mentioned, it only happens when in ASIO mode and only when I don't manually stop the song to switch to another. If the song finishes and the goes to the next in the playlist, it's fine. It only happens when I want to listen to something else and decide to switch in the middle of a song without manually stopping it first.

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,793 of 3,573
Probably something to do with how Foobar buffers a file. Might want to talk to the Foobar guys about this. It's not something for us I think. The ASIO buffer latency will be lower than the default output driver. And that is where I think this comes in. On top of that, seems specific to you more than the other guys here. Maybe the Foobar team can make some sugggestions on Foobar settings for you as well. 

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #1,794 of 3,573
Quote:

I would not agree with this:

"Complex signals contain multiple frequencies which interact to produce intermodulation in all systems in which they travel. Our ear, together with our skull bones, is one of these systems. High frequencies intermodulate to the lower frequency range (for example, a 21kHz and a 22kHz tones can modulate down to 1kHz, well into our audible range). If we record and/or play a recording through a system with 20kHz limit, we miss those tones which should intermodulate into our ear and head, losing some of the original information content (that 1kHz tone which is part of the original signal, even if is produced into our body)."

Those two tones are intermodulated by transmission media - the air. If we filter out any high frequency, 1 kHz tone will remain.
Also, the phase coherence is mainly affected by post filtering and not ADC principle.
True is that it is much more cheaper to produce good ADC conversion with higher bit depth and bitrate. And the "progress" must go on.

Mar 14, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #1,795 of 3,573
Quote:
Probably something to do with how Foobar buffers a file. Might want to talk to the Foobar guys about this. It's not something for us I think. The ASIO buffer latency will be lower than the default output driver. And that is where I think this comes in. On top of that, seems specific to you more than the other guys here. Maybe the Foobar team can make some sugggestions on Foobar settings for you as well. 

Thanks, will do. I appreciate the support and suggestions from all who have helped.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,796 of 3,573
Quote:
Anyone else notice the slight skipping at the beginning of songs when using ASIO when using foobar? Anyway to Fix it?

I also use Foobar and don't have skipping but when I try to skip to the next file before it completes Foobar hangs up and after 15-20seconds I get a dialog box with and error message - "unrecoverable playback error: timeout".   If I use the "Stop" button on Foobar before going to the next file I will still give the error about 20% of the time. Buffer length is set to 1000ms and file buffer size is 9999999999999.   OICWUTUDIDTHAR what are your settings?   I'd be happy if I can get it to just skip at the beginning instead of stop, timeout,  have to close the dialog box and hit start again.

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #1,797 of 3,573
Quote:
I would not agree with this

I pretty much disagree with everything the guy says.....it's pseudo-science to the extreme and would be wonderful to discuss in the Science Forum. He sells grossly overpriced DAC's running off $1 SMPS wallwarts and his only selling point is 32/384 USB support, so he goes all the way to push it.

Let's not mention his I²S DAC that uses a cheapo opamp as DAC LPF and makes I²S travel through a long external cable........I²S? Sure, but in a far less than ideal scenario huh.

Or his killer masterclock that requires a very expensive PSU and has a manual knob for 44.1/48kHz multiples.......forget to switch it accordingly and fear the consequences, hah! Add up the price of his DAC, its battery-powered PSU(that required offline reloading cycles BTW), the masterclock, its own PSU and you're in +$4K land 
confused_face_2.gif

There is no question that bang/bucks goes up through the roof on the ONE, and prolly even more so on the Muse edition for the most OCD'ed audiophiles amongst us to whom enough is never enough.....Asus don't require a +500% markup to make a living and the customer directly benefits from both their top of the range R&D and low markups(5/10% in the computer world I think).

All this said, some real-world feedback on the headamp gain jumper would be sweet! But my friend is pretty dead sold on ordering the Muse anyway as he's not quite willing to toss $2K on a boutique DAC 
evil_smiley.gif

Whenever he will have made up his mind, I'll get to toy around with it and will happily report back in this thread 
popcorn.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #1,798 of 3,573
Quote:
All this said, some real world feedback on the headamp gain jumper would be sweet! But my friend is pretty dead sold on ordering the Muse anyway as he's not quite willing to toss $2K on a boutique DAC anyway 
evil_smiley.gif

Whenever he will have made up his mind, I'll get to toy around with it and will happily report back in this thread 
popcorn.gif

You are welcome to share the report when possible.
dt880smile.png

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #1,799 of 3,573
Quote:
I also use Foobar and don't have skipping but when I try to skip to the next file before it completes Foobar hangs up and after 15-20seconds I get a dialog box with and error message - "unrecoverable playback error: timeout".   If I use the "Stop" button on Foobar before going to the next file I will still give the error about 20% of the time. Buffer length is set to 1000ms and file buffer size is 9999999999999.   OICWUTUDIDTHAR what are your settings?   I'd be happy if I can get it to just skip at the beginning instead of stop, timeout,  have to close the dialog box and hit start again.

Everything stock, settings wise. I tried it on another computer and had the same issue with ASIO playback on Foobar.

I tried using Jriver instead and the issue went away. Very strange.

I've tried adjusting every buffer setting in Foobar and in the actual ASIO driver for the E1 and nothing seems to fix it. I am thinking it may be a cross fading issue with Foobar because as mentioned before, if I stop the song manually before switching to another one, no such cut off occurs when the next song starts playing. It is only when I change the song mid play back or when paused. I would say that the first half second of the song is either cut or it has a strange digital sounding noise in its place, depending on the song.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #1,800 of 3,573
Quote:

There is no question that bang/bucks goes up through the roof on the ONE, and prolly even more so on the Muse edition for the most OCD'ed audiophiles amongst us to whom enough is never enough.....Asus don't require a +500% markup to make a living and the customer directly benefits from both their top of the range R&D and low markups(5/10% in the computer world I think).

All this said, some real-world feedback on the headamp gain jumper would be sweet! But my friend is pretty dead sold on ordering the Muse anyway as he's not quite willing to toss $2K on a boutique DAC 
evil_smiley.gif

popcorn.gif

Agree...  However, I still want ASUS to fix that issue with frequency response curve when that upsampling button is pressed!!!
deadhorse.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back