Asus Essence One Headphone Amp/DAC (CeBIT 2011)
Feb 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,412 of 3,573
Quote:
Just to clarify, on my E1 it is only present when you move the knob without any audio playing. However it still indicates that the opamp is not happy being there.

Oooooh, i hear it now, what the heck is this noise? LOL.

Tim

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #1,413 of 3,573
Quote:
Let's make an emphasis on this, so we can fix as many driver issues as possible.

So it's only happening in Toslink and Coaxial right?

Tim

No, i just did some measurements it cuts the high frequencies also on usb.

The meausurement is made with onboard line in so it does not represents the actual  quality of the frequency response but it is good enough to show the high cut.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,417 of 3,573
I think installing a pair of OPA2132P in the headamp of the ONE Muses would be full of win
very_evil_smiley.gif

This opamp can be found in many expensive DAC's IME and it really shines through within good designs IMHO, providing a highly enjoyable euphonic sound as this shoot-out confirmed: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html
Quote:
you may be so happy with it that you stop looking at other chips!

Anyway, I hope you guys are really proud of your endless poisoning because a friend of mine who's been happy with his regular ONE for +1 year is now contemplating upgrading to the MUSES edition....$850 in the US and we could have another friend of mine shipping it via USPS described as a "$30 used radio" without the box and avoid VAT import taxes altogether
popcorn.gif

So anyone's got a picture of the headamp gain jumper please
confused.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #1,418 of 3,573
Quote:
No, i just did some measurements it cuts the high frequencies also on usb.

The meausurement is made with onboard line in so it does not represents the actual  quality of the frequency response but it is good enough to show the high cut.

That also makes me wonder. I can't hear an improvement when I turn on upsampling. However, I can hear a degradation in treble dynamics on certain songs.

I've swapped the opamps on the LPF again. The AD797BR's are now in there instead of the LME49990's. I can't hear any diffrence though
biggrin.gif

Overall, choosing to buy the AD797BR was worthwhile. The sound changed into a slightly warmer, almost vinyl alike signature. It's like a grain of salt has been put on top of the music, which to me, adds a more "analog" feel to it. You can hear the improvement particularly with metal and rock. For me, those genres used to be the HD 800's weakspots.
However, I would like to have even more impact/punch on the mid-bass.
I find the treble to be less fatiguing now and that piercing "ssss" on some vocals aren't as annoying anymore (still a tad too bright).
Although the LME49990's (on I/V) had the best detail and transparency overall, I just find them to be too thin and harsh sounding to my ears.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #1,419 of 3,573
Quote:
I think installing a pair of OPA2132P in the headamp of the ONE Muses would be full of win
very_evil_smiley.gif

This opamp can be found in many expensive DAC's IME and it really shines through within good designs IMHO, providing a highly enjoyable euphonic sound as this shoot-out confirmed: http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

Anyway, I hope you guys are really happy with your endless poisoning because a friend of mine who's been happy with his regular ONE for +1 year is now contemplating upgrading to the MUSES edition....$850 in the US and we could have another friend of mine shipping it via USPS described as a "$30 used radio" without the box and could avoid VAT import taxes altogether
popcorn.gif

So anyone's got a picture of the headamp gain jumper please
confused.gif

Thanks for the input leeperry!
I may go and try out the OPA2132P.

As for the gain jumper, you may ask turokrocks for pictures. He just recently got his Muses E1.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #1,420 of 3,573
I hear a large degradation in treble and sound stage when using the upsampling option.
It makes all of my music overly smooth, which was why i sold the HD-650 in the first place.
It cuts the frequencies which makes my HE-500 it a bad performer.

I'm going to get some OPA2132P from Texas Instruments and see what happens.
blink.gif

Tim

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #1,421 of 3,573
Quote:
I hear a large degradation in treble and sound stage when using the upsampling option.
It makes all of my music overly smooth, which was why i sold the HD-650 in the first place.
It cuts the frequencies which makes my HE-500 it a bad performer.

I'm going to get some OPA2132P from Texas Instruments and see what happens.
blink.gif

Tim

ASUS Essence One Muses Edition
 OP-Amps: MUSES01 & LME49710HA​
Headphones:
Audeze LCD-2
Sennheiser HD-800
HIFIMAN HE-500
Speakers:
Audioengine A5+

biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #1,422 of 3,573
I can explain.... i was listening at the store... and was like..these are more comfortable...
Then i was like... hmm.. they sound pretty darn good...

I ended up selling my both of my HE-400's (i had two)
Surprisingly, $800 was not enough to pay for the HD-800 (joke).

That was the story.

k701smile.gif

Tim

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #1,423 of 3,573
Well, at least we now can both discover what amp/opamp sounds best with the HD-800^^ (of course, only as long as I decide to keep mine)
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #1,424 of 3,573
Quote:
Well, at least we now can both discover what amp/opamp sounds best with the HD-800^^ (of course, only as long as I decide to keep mine)
rolleyes.gif

So far im using MUSES01's with NE5532 in buffer, and they sound prettttttty darrrrn gooooood.

Tim

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #1,425 of 3,573
Quote:
Got it (sure heavier than I expected) the build quality is top notch and the pictures do not do justice this piece of love, still @ my office and I have to take my girl to a nice dinner (so I can relay the bad  news...
ksc75smile.gif
)....

@ acidic, manual is the same as for other E1 versions as there is no mention of the switch!

Turokrocks -  congrats on your new purchase!! i meant finally it has arrived for you...haha... enjoy.

When you have a moment, is it alright if you open it up and show us the gain jumper since its not in your manual as well.

TIA :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back