Astrotec AM90-A Hidden Gem-(Review)
Jun 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Magicman74

500+ Head-Fier
First off I want to give a BIG thanks to Bigbarginonline for going out on his free time to get me a set of these. I sent him $35 US and he went right out no problem to get me a pair. Talk about a GREAT seller.  He now sells these on his Ebay site for $35+6 Shipping=$41 US

So what's in the package? Let's take a look.

As you can see it's no frills here. Just a well put together package.
You get the IEM's  3 sets  S/M/L Single Flange, 1 set of Triple Flange, 1 set of Foams ( real good ones too)
Also included is a Hard Clam case ( Fantastic one as well, Quality no doubt)

The package is basically cardboard, looks to be recycled which I like because of the green nature. Small, Simple & Clean.

The IEM's are made of a light weight metal, with Astrotec on each ear piece also stamped with L/R on the rear of the housing. Very easy to see. They feel and scream high end, but it gets even better. The cable is out of this world. It is almost the same style as the cables used by MEE, the same clear sheath but much softer and way more moveable.
The Y-split is almost the same as Vsonics but has a built in Slider/Cinch. Everything is well relieved as well, the strains are the perfect size and nice and soft.  They are terminated with a straight plug but it is of high quality.  I prefer an L-plug but I don't see any problems here.  Top of the scale on build quality. It's really a fantastic set of IEMS. Call me highly impressed!!

I know Joker did a review on these not long ago. You know this guy has a great ear. Because I'm hearing almost the same things he mentioned in his post.

This is a BA type IEM, and I'll be honest. I haven't had much time with BA's. I only have the MEE 151 & 161p on hand.
I think these fit right in head to head with the MEE 151. But Joker says they are so close it's hard to call.  Well this is where we differ.  Don't get me wrong the MEE's are Amazing as well but the Astrotec is slightly better.  I won't do a whole head to head but this is my opinion on the Astrotec alone.

Since this is a Single BA the Bass isn't the hardest hitting, But what it doesn't do as far as earth shaking rumble it makes up for being nice and tight with just enough punch to really be enjoyable. It has great body and texture. It is really quite nice. I'm so used to Dynamic Drivers that this Bass presentation is a great welcome. I really like it here.

In Jokers review he calls these IEM's a little warm, I kind of agree but the warmth is not a lot really.  Maybe a touch but it works well.  The Bass stays completely out of the Mid-Range.  The Mids on these things are just Amazing.
The Mids are a tiny bit forward, not GR06 forward, but just a tad. Not so much that I would call them Mid-Forward or even unbalanced. These things put out great detail for a single BA. I can pick every little detail out. So I think the placement is quite nice.  Not world breaking but remember this is $40.

The Treble is nice and smooth, it doesn't reach out to the stars but it has great detail here as well..This is where the MEE 151 can't touch the Astrotec the added crispness set these slightly above the MEE's.  It does roll off gently but it does it in a way where you really don't miss the top end fine detail.  I guess Smooth is the word. 

The soundstage is about average, it has a good space and air.  It's not super wide but just enough to really bring out the details and keep all the instruments in the right place.  It pulls you right into the music, I think it's perfect...Hours of toe tapping here.

My thoughts are exactly inline with what Joker said on comfort.  You can wear these for hours with no issues, great fit too,
They just melt into your ears. I see no one having a problem getting a proper seal either. They go right in, and the music just flows on.

So that's my take, Limited experience with BA's but man I'm glad I went out and took a plunge. These things are too good to pass by, Build, Sound,Quality.  I mean you get the whole package right here for next to nothing $41, are you kidding?
These sound better then the MEE 151 and are cheaper as well...It's a no brainer....Make a buy, these things are GREAT, no doubt about it........!!!!!!!!!

Jun 15, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 11
Nice review 
smile.gif

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #6 of 11
Does anybody know what size Comply tips fit?

My pair came with a bag, and really disappointing gray colored foam tips that are so loose that they stay stuck in my ears when I remove the monitors.

I have some Tx-500s that are far too large for the Astrotecs.

With the plastic shrouds that came w/ the Astrotecs, the T-500s are still slightly too large, but almost work.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 11
Magicman74, how do you think these compare to the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition earphones?  I am looking to buy a solid performing budget pair of earphones, and have narrowed it down to the Astrotecs, the Vsonic GR02 BE, and the Brainwavz M5.  I know you are a big fan of the Vsonic GR02 BE's, and I was wondering how these stack up against them to your mind. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Magicman74, how do you think these compare to the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition earphones?  I am looking to buy a solid performing budget pair of earphones, and have narrowed it down to the Astrotecs, the Vsonic GR02 BE, and the Brainwavz M5.  I know you are a big fan of the Vsonic GR02 BE's, and I was wondering how these stack up against them to your mind. 

Apples & Oranges.   It's hard to pick the better of the two.   I'd give the slight nod to the Vsonics- just because they are the better all-rounder for "on the go".
But the Astrotec becomes a beast with a proper EQ from my ipod.  Just plugged in they are great, Bass shy and more " Mid Forward" then the Vsonics.  I find the Astrotec REALLY loves being Eq'd.  Maybe the best Iem (Ive used) using EQ.  If you like Rock music, the Astrotec loves V-shaped settings.  The bass hits Deep and Hard, and the highs come alive.
They really are night and day with an EQ. Since they are really clean in the mids the v-shape balances them out.  For my taste anyway, The Vsonics are more balanced just plugged in.
I'd say the Vsonics would be the better buy, a little cheaper and plug and go.  The Astrotec's about $10 more but needs to be played with to really make them come alive, but once you get them set right (EQ) they do sound better then the Vsonics.  But only slightly!!!  Vsonic's right out of the box are fantastic!!

Nov 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #11 of 11
First post. I have a loaner pair of these and I must say they are impressive midrange-wise for a single armature driver. Comparing it with my Xcape IE (sorry I do not have any BA iem to compare with) SQ-wise, my X-IE is more warmer though I'll give the heads up on the AM90 for more detail and clarity as well as the forward mids if you're more into vocals and such genres. My only gripe from totally enjoying the AM90 is that it's on comply tips and that the treble is totally laid-back (must be due to tips?) thus it is more laid-back than my Xcape IE. I do not know how significant the difference it'll sound if not on comply but given the overall characteristics it's a good competitor around its price range. Also, the bass impact is quite good knowing the armature driver that it is but if for someone else it'll feel lacking so my dynamic IEM Xcape IE wins over.

Magicman74, may I ask if the treble here packs some sparkle? I'm not expecting uber sparkle like those of non-single armatures but I find it not sparkly probably because of the comply tips. Also, I have heard the GR01's and other related armature driver (though not single) and they are really sparkly.

Nice review by the way
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back