Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Feb 1, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #421 of 457
just wondering, how good is this product, as aptx hd has been adopted on many phones, could be a very decent high res wireless solution

I really like it with my Pixel 2 > Q-Jays Reference IEMs.

Feb 4, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #423 of 457
just wondering, how good is this product, as aptx hd has been adopted on many phones, could be a very decent high res wireless solution

I have used it with Pixel 2 w/aptX HD, and head and shoulders above any phone output I have ever heard. I tried first gen aptX and was very disappointed, but this is good. My guess is that A&K is a big part of it, but I have not tried any other aptX HD so far. Well worth $100.

Feb 5, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #424 of 457
I have used it with Pixel 2 w/aptX HD, and head and shoulders above any phone output I have ever heard. I tried first gen aptX and was very disappointed, but this is good. My guess is that A&K is a big part of it, but I have not tried any other aptX HD so far. Well worth $100.

its very strange. ive tried the xb10 with standard bt 4.2 on windows and android with non aptx (nexus 6p) and aptx hd (v20) and everything sounds exactly the same in all devices to me, and to a colleague. which is awesome, cause in all devices the unit sounds fantastically the same.

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #425 of 457
its very strange. ive tried the xb10 with standard bt 4.2 on windows and android with non aptx (nexus 6p) and aptx hd (v20) and everything sounds exactly the same in all devices to me, and to a colleague. which is awesome, cause in all devices the unit sounds fantastically the same.
What are u using to listen to?

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #427 of 457
I am new to this topic..
so sorry if that question is stupid but..

does it need an additional DAC / AMP as the XB10 already delivers both?
Wouldnt that alter the sound quality too much?

I would suppose it to be reasonable to use Phone -> XB10 OR Phone -> DAC/AMP (like Q1 MKII)

im mostly using the xb10 for source, and amping it with the q1mkII with the IT03. it makes for a great combo.

Can you explain why you use this setup? (no critique, I just hope to understand this because I am quite unexperienced here)

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #428 of 457
I am new to this topic..
so sorry if that question is stupid but..

does it need an additional DAC / AMP as the XB10 already delivers both?
Wouldnt that alter the sound quality too much?

I would suppose it to be reasonable to use Phone -> XB10 OR Phone -> DAC/AMP (like Q1 MKII)

Can you explain why you use this setup? (no critique, I just hope to understand this because I am quite unexperienced here)

Honestly I don't quite understand it myself. The XB10 has quite a bit of power for its size, and sounds quite decent. Adding a Q1mk2 adds a bit of bulk, and I can't imagine the mentioned IEM is that difficult to drive either. Perhaps the resulting sound goes along with their preferences as it would also add a bass switch.

The Q1mk2 runs into the battery draining to charge itself issue when connected to an android phone, as most otg cables will allow charging. Because of this, it might be a setup that somewhat makes use of the purchase.

Feb 14, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #429 of 457
Perhaps the resulting sound goes along with their preferences as it would also add a bass switch.

indeed.

as you correctly presumed, the xb10 drives appropriately the it03, though the extra body and bass the q1mk2 delivers paird with the xb10 it is to much of treat to let it pass.

the extra bulk is not much of an issue as the q1mk2 is very portable. if the q1mk2 would it have had BT, it would have been the ultimate game changer. maybe mk3?

Feb 14, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #430 of 457
indeed.

as you correctly presumed, the xb10 drives appropriately the it03, though the extra body and bass the q1mk2 delivers paird with the xb10 it is to much of treat to let it pass.

the extra bulk is not much of an issue as the q1mk2 is very portable. if the q1mk2 would it have had BT, it would have been the ultimate game changer. maybe mk3?

Perhaps, but that would but into their BTR1 sales unless they raised mk3 prices. I'm kind of considering the Q5 due to this. Unless I'm misremembering that is.

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #431 of 457
Perhaps, but that would but into their BTR1 sales unless they raised mk3 prices. I'm kind of considering the Q5 due to this. Unless I'm misremembering that is.
Yep, qt is the right one. There is a review tour going on right now on the q5 thread

Feb 14, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #432 of 457

BTR1 seemed to me a first stage proof of concept torwardS BTR3. it should consolidate this format, or impact the bluetooth cable realm (cant really remember whats is the current iteration of BTR3 in the present day).

having q1mk2 and q5 as oposite sides of the spectrum format, it seems logical that mk3 will merge the best features of both, to meet the sweet spot in the middle.

Mar 7, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #433 of 457
Just received my XB10 bought as impulse buy from a local mail-order dealer who was advertising it for 99chf only. Had my eye on it for a while, but it was 50% more expensive previously.

What a great little device. Sounds brilliant, pairs well, and I've not had a dropout yet.

I thought it wouldn't work with my LZA4 balanced IEMs (had read A&K used a different jack setup) but it works fine. Am I missing something here?

Also, to my great surprise, it drives my Beyerdynamic T1's pretty well. Shocker.

Great buy!!

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #434 of 457
Finally acquired the AK XB10... I'm very happy with it so far!

The sound is noticeably better than the default Apple's dongle "Lightning -> 3.5mm jack" provides.
Black background, no hissing with my Westone W30 (special thanks to k4syx for the recommendation).
Completely love the ergonomics of XB10, too.

Way better than Creative SoundBlaster E3 in all terms mentioned above.

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #435 of 457
It sounds great with my Samsung S8+ and 64 Audio A6's. I'm using this all the time. Going to be getting rid of my Mojo and Black Label iDSD, too. Just no need to carry bulk when I have such a great BT option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back