Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Oct 27, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #166 of 457
Interesting: Sony has a MMCX bluetooth cable that supports AptX (no HD) and their own LDAC:
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M2BT1/index.html

There aren't any AptX HD transmitters yet but for LDAC one can at least get Sony's latest walkman.

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #169 of 457
  Another DAP enters the aptX fray:

https://www.headphone.com/blogs/news/the-footloose-and-wire-free-fiio-x1-ii-high-resolution-media-player-is-a-killer

- Dave

I don't believe it supports aptX. 
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/57
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=aptX&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=819817&advanced=1

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:12 AM Post #171 of 457
Astell & Kern introduced a firmware upgrade for the AK3xx series units in October (included in the upgrade from 1.12 to 1.20 firmware for the AK320) that allows them to send aptX HD Bluetooth information to the XB10 and other devices that incorporate the Qualcom aptX HD chipset.  Only problem is the firmware upgrade did not contain an option switch to allow the AK3xx units to send either the older aptX Bluetooth codex info or the newer aptX HD info.   Receiving devices that do not have the aptX HD chipset will have issues talking to an AK3xx device.   In my case a Bose Soundtouch 30 III speaker worked fine with the 1.12 firmware that sent aptX info but does not work with the 1.20 firmware that supports aptX HD.   Seems like a shame to have to purchase a $189 item to use an older device when AK has the software for both options and could have included this in the firmware.   I have made AK USA support aware of the issue.  Will be interesting to see how they respond.

WAS55  

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #172 of 457
That has to be an issue with AK's coding of the firmware. Apt-x HD requires a specific chipset (CSR8675) which is why most older apt-x only devices can't be upgraded. However, the HD chipset can certainly handle legacy bluetooth codecs unless something is wrong with the software controlling it. I too hope AK resolves this but, based on my experience with them, who knows.

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #173 of 457
Yes, it is absolutely a firmware coding issue for the AK3xx series units.  With their latest firmware update AK has made the AK3xx series units unable to stream Bluetooth to any device that does not have aptX HD capability.  Which means almost every device out there except the XB10.  My solution was to revert to the 1.12 firmware on my AK320 until AK resolves the issue - but this is suboptimum as I lose things like Tidal that came with the 1.20 firmware.   I could update my AK320 firmware to 1.20, buy an XB10, hook the XB10 to the aux input on the Bose speaker and that would work - but at a cost of $189 for what should be in the AK320 firmware.   I have mentioned this issue on the AK320 thread as well.  Hopefully AK USA customer support will pass on the issue to the firmware guys at AK in Korea. 

WAS55

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #174 of 457
Got an XB10.  Like it more than the BTS.   2.5mm is a great option.  I don't have to switch cables on my IEM's anymore.  Basically, my iPhone, iPad and Mac use the XB10 and I listen to music via my AK320, 100% balanced all the time.

It does feel plasticky though and is a fingerprint magnet.  But it does look a bit better than the BTS.  The BTS has this rubber flap thing that doesn't sit flush on my unit.  The audio cues on the BTS also sound very low quality.  

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #175 of 457
Just a quick update in three areas:

1. Battery

About 5 hours non-stop with IE800. Could be better (always, right?) but no complaints here (could be worse too).

2. AKG K7XX

Just got them. After burn in and two mods (bass reflex and service covers foam) I thought about trying them with XB10 and it is able to drive them nicely - nothing to complain about. So I can be a trend setter and use them as a mobile setup :D

3. Volume levels.

Ive checked that and yes they could be better with both IE800 and K7XX. It is high enough for my needs but I'd really expect maximum value to be higher, especially with IE800.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:47 AM Post #176 of 457
  Interesting: Sony has a MMCX bluetooth cable that supports AptX (no HD) and their own LDAC:
http://www.sony.jp/headphone/products/MUC-M2BT1/index.html

There aren't any AptX HD transmitters yet but for LDAC one can at least get Sony's latest walkman.

Just ordered one of these for the team. Um, can I be part of the team?

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #178 of 457
Nov 21, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #179 of 457
  Yes, it is absolutely a firmware coding issue for the AK3xx series units.  With their latest firmware update AK has made the AK3xx series units unable to stream Bluetooth to any device that does not have aptX HD capability.  Which means almost every device out there except the XB10.  My solution was to revert to the 1.12 firmware on my AK320 until AK resolves the issue - but this is suboptimum as I lose things like Tidal that came with the 1.20 firmware.   I could update my AK320 firmware to 1.20, buy an XB10, hook the XB10 to the aux input on the Bose speaker and that would work - but at a cost of $189 for what should be in the AK320 firmware.   I have mentioned this issue on the AK320 thread as well.  Hopefully AK USA customer support will pass on the issue to the firmware guys at AK in Korea. 

WAS55

Hmm....I have tried an AptX Sony headset, the MDR-1000X with the AK380 with 1.40 firmware and it's fine. On the AK380 screen aptX appears. I then try the XB10 and aptX HD appears on the AK380 screen.

I also have no issues with range with the AK380 being on one side of the room and the XB10 on the other, 20 feet away...no break-ups.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #180 of 457

Hmm....I have tried an AptX Sony headset, the MDR-1000X with the AK380 with 1.40 firmware and it's fine. On the AK380 screen aptX appears. I then try the XB10 and aptX HD appears on the AK380 screen.

I also have no issues with range with the AK380 being on one side of the room and the XB10 on the other, 20 feet away...no break-ups.

Interesting - the 1.40 firmware in your AK380 seems to distinguish automatically if it connects to an aptX or aptX HD device - and tells you.   Can you post a photo of what you see on the screen?  The 1.20 firmware that added aptX HD support for the aK320 does not appear to have this functionality. 

I sent AK's USA Support a second email on the issue and they replied as shown below:

Dear Astell & Kern,

Further to my earlier note I have done further research on the aptX HD codec.  Apparently receiving devices need the Qualcom chipset to receive and decode aptX HD information.  Since the aptX HD chipset only came out in mid 2016 my Bose speaker (and almost every other Bluetooth device out there) does not have the capability to "read" the aptX HD Bluetooth information being sent by the AK320 using the 1.20 firmware.  Since Astell and Kern obviously have the firmware code for both aptX (1.12 firmware) and aptX HD (1.20 firmware) could I suggest that they consider offering a switch in the Bluetooth area of settings to allow switching between aptX and aptX HD to allow the AK320 to stream to older devices? 

Regards,

Bill S
-------------------------------------

Hi Bill,

Thanks very much for your feedback. We will relay it to our R&D team and hope to have the Bluetooth issues resolved in a future firmware update.

Regards,

Astell&Kern / iriver US Customer Service Center
-------------------------------------

Jonstatt - Based on your experience it would appear that AK included the aptX and aptX HD functionality suggested in my note to them in the AK380 1.40 firmware ....... but not in the AK320 1.20 firmware.   Hopefully they will fix the issue in the next firmware update for the AK320 as I would like to have Tidal access that came with the 1.20 firmware update.

WAS55

Users who are viewing this thread

Back