Astell&Kern XB10 Extreme Bluetooth Adapter
Oct 18, 2016 at 3:59 AM Post #136 of 457

Sound quality update:

First--using a 7th gen iPod Nano as the bluetooth source (BT 4.0, but no aptx) there is a hit to SQ. The balanced connection mitigates it somewhat, but to me, it's not enough. The SQ isn't bad exactly, it's more like an absence of good. That's disappointing, the iPod nano + hockey puck combo would be an attractively small mobile setup. But I'll add more thoughts about that below.

I currently have an HD800 hooked into the balanced port, and thus I've located the puck's limits. It sounds good, sure, but it's not a particularly exciting variety of good. It's not eargasm level good, while every other set I've tried [with a balanced connection]. This seems to be an issue with the amp as much as the source signal. I say this because I've noticed that cheap amps (like the Fiio E11, for an example) can make the HD800 borderline painful to listen to, after even short 15 min sessions at moderately loud levels. In contrast, the amp in my Geek Out V2+ can push them quite loud without me feeling any discomfort whatsoever! The XB10 is really somewhere in-between the two.

So far for me, the PSB M4U 1 is the ideal partner to get the most out of an aptx connected XB10. The M50 vibrates too much with the bass, and yes I realize what a wonderful problem that is to have, as far as problems go. I also must mention my vintage Pioneer SE L40, for being eargasm inducing even through theXB10's SE port!

After one day of ownership I am absolutely thrilled with this purchase. My biggest complaint is thatnif you accidentally sit on it while it's playing, there's a strong likelihood that you'll turn the volume all the way up and hurt something in your ear as a result!

I'm considering trying to pick up a small used Android phone (of nearly any make/model) to use as a portable digital transport. It would require aptx and full USB audio support, and will probably be much less expensive than my ipod, which I'm selling in order to support this notion. Which in a way brings me to the last thing I want to say, the best thing about the XB10:

As great as it can sound now, we still aren't at it's true limits yet, as I haven't even seen a review using aptx HD! The future is looking bright at the moment.

By the way, you can put the hold button on and protect your ears. I also put it in my back pocket.

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #137 of 457
  My review is finally of the XB10 is up. I hope it is helpful to someone.

@shigzeo Great review bro. I have been looking forward to replace my iBasso DX50 with the XB10 connected to my smartphone. I find that the DX50 lacks sub-bass, dynamics and soundstage. In view that I don't mind some hiss and I don't care about Hi-res, do you think this setup would be an upgrade ( balanced ouput would definitely be plus) ? I almost exclusively listen to earbuds - Monk, Monk Plus, TY Hi-Z 32Ohm, Auglamour RX1 and soon some higher impedance buds.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #138 of 457
Nice review. Though I have to say that I cannot hear any hissing with IE800 (16Ohm). It's always good to check with your own headphones if the hiss is there or not - or is, but doesnt bother you.

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:16 AM Post #139 of 457
  @shigzeo Great review bro. I have been looking forward to replace my iBasso DX50 with the XB10 connected to my smartphone. I find that the DX50 lacks sub-bass, dynamics and soundstage. In view that I don't mind some hiss and I don't care about Hi-res, do you think this setup would be an upgrade ( balanced ouput would definitely be plus) ? I almost exclusively listen to earbuds - Monk, Monk Plus, TY Hi-Z 32Ohm, Auglamour RX1 and soon some higher impedance buds.

To be honest, I think you'll find no improvement over the DX50 apart from an untethered experience, which, for me at least, is reason #1 this thing rocks. That it performs well is icing on the cake.
Nice review. Though I have to say that I cannot hear any hissing with IE800 (16Ohm). It's always good to check with your own headphones if the hiss is there or not - or is, but doesnt bother you.

It's about ear sensitivity as much as anything. 

Oct 18, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #140 of 457
It's about ear sensitivity as much as anything. 

Yes, of course, though I've heard hissing in almost every other amp that I've tried (except for DragonFly 1.2 and Red) or smartphone output. I had to use "dampening" impedance adaptor (30Ohms) with most of the sources to get black, empty background.

But it is possible that everything else hissed in lower freq than XB10 and I just cant hear it (I'm almost forty so yes, that's a valid possibility).

Oct 18, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #142 of 457
Thanks for checking Aptx HD on Mac OS. I hope it'll get HD one day. I think all it would take is for Quallcomm to release updated bluetooth drivers?

I've never considered buying AK players but now that they have Tidal and Aptx HD... I recall reading bluetooth is rather poor on AKs. Is that correct?

Oct 19, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #143 of 457
  Thanks for checking Aptx HD on Mac OS. I hope it'll get HD one day. I think all it would take is for Quallcomm to release updated bluetooth drivers?

I've never considered buying AK players but now that they have Tidal and Aptx HD... I recall reading bluetooth is rather poor on AKs. Is that correct?

AptX HD is useless on AK players. Max 1 metre, with cutouts. 20cm with no signal cut outs, but only if you have no other wireless things around, and you don't move too much flesh around the device.

Oct 19, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #145 of 457
I think it would be more useful, and fair, to compare the xb10 with Bluetooth headphones rather than dedicated DAC/amps.

I must disagree here. Surely, if one BT performs better than another, great. But the BT DAC/amp is to be used in substitute to the player's internal DAC/amp, and should first be compared to that which it replaces. If not, there is no base, and no possible standard against which to test/compare. 

Oct 19, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #146 of 457
I think it would be more useful, and fair, to compare the xb10 with Bluetooth headphones rather than dedicated DAC/amps.

Well I was basically comparing XB10 to other devices in this class, that is BT amp/dacs. Comparison to DragonFly and Mojo is aimed for someone who knows them and have never tried bt receivers but would like to get some vague reference point.

Comparing XB10 (or any oher device of this type) directly to bt headphones is problematic because the headphones themselves are very different beasts, so youd have to choose one as an universal reference point. But sure, if someone can compare xb10 + wired sennheisers momentums to wireless sennheiser momentums that would be interesting to read.

Oct 19, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #147 of 457
That's a shame. Maybe AK will release a player with decent bluetooth range in the future. I can easily see why BT range would be terrible: all that thick aluminum. No way the signal is getting through.

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #148 of 457
IMHO using XB10 with AK DAPs (or any other dedicated DAP) is pointless - let me explain why:

If you're using DAP as a source for audio data stream to XB10 only, then you're not using DAC/AMP section of DAP at all. And thats where they are meant to shine.
All that DAP is doing in such setup is decoding audio file (FLAC, DSD, MP3 - doesnt matter), maybe adding some EQ on top of it if you like it, and thats basically it. Everything is done as digital data stream that goes directely to bt audio codec (like AptX) and then is streamed (still digital data!) to XB10 which is responsible for DACing and analog headphone amp section.

This basically means that you can replace DAP in this chain with any reasonable phone (or tablet) with any reasonable app (UAPP/Neutron or even PowerAMP - I own all of them) and as long as your using the same audio codec (f.e. AptX) youll get exactly the same SQ (not counting EQ or resampling or anything else youd like to set up in digital processing domain).

And for me this is the best solution because of couple of factors:

1. AK DAP price is higher than almost any flagship phone in any given year
2. I do have my phone on me all the time anyway
3. I can do other things with it
4. SQ stays the same
5. Interface and audio library management, general flexibility offered by apps leaves DAP interfaces and usability in dust.

And thats why I always try to get my hands (ears?:)) on any good bt DAC/AMP available on the market.

Thats just my 2c, but YMMV :)

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #150 of 457
I guess so :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back