Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 15, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #331 of 2,746
The poly was built to solve that issue: Currently I use the mojo/poly, after trying many alternatives for portable use (dacs, a couple daps, etc.), I remained unsatisfied by anything cheaper than the poly, so I bought despite a part of me rebelling at an accessory costing more than the mojo itself.

I want something that is equal to the poly mojo combo for sound quality that has a screen and tidal support, preferably tidal offline.

Considering the mojo is nearly 5 years old I am hoping it is finally possible to get an upgrade without paying more than the poly, preferably something that ages as well as the mojo (although 5 years is really, really, good for tech not to be obsolete).

I hope this qualifies, until I know whether it does I won't buy a dap to replace what is still considered the best sounding portable dac anywhere near it's price, despite my many issues with it, sound quality isn't one.

Are you using IEMs or headphones primarily? I have the Mojo/Poly but recently got the Cayin N6ii. I know there’s a bit of a price jump but sound quality has been a ridiculous jump for me when I didn’t think it would happen at all

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #332 of 2,746
The poly was built to solve that issue: Currently I use the mojo/poly, after trying many alternatives for portable use (dacs, a couple daps, etc.), I remained unsatisfied by anything cheaper than the poly, so I bought despite a part of me rebelling at an accessory costing more than the mojo itself.

I want something that is equal to the poly mojo combo for sound quality that has a screen and tidal support, preferably tidal offline.

Considering the mojo is nearly 5 years old I am hoping it is finally possible to get an upgrade without paying more than the poly, preferably something that ages as well as the mojo (although 5 years is really, really, good for tech not to be obsolete).

I hope this qualifies, until I know whether it does I won't buy a dap to replace what is still considered the best sounding portable dac anywhere near it's price, despite my many issues with it, sound quality isn't one.
Hi Gabriel,

I have had the Mojo/Poly since they were released. M/P works really well with Roon at home and I love the Audeze DSP presets. My problem with the M/P is that it does not work with Tidal/Qobuz offline.

I've had the SR25 for about a week and I don't think that the SR25 sounds as good as the Mojo/Poly. The SR25 does sound really good, however, and it is a really well made device that I enjoy using. I purchased the A&K because of its small, convenient size and Tidal offline use on-the-go(walks, hitting balls at the driving range, etc.).

Hope this is helpful.

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #334 of 2,746
I personally owned the unit as I may have said. I didn't find it to be as good as my AK380cu, but it's another league above. Was told be a few that the new 25 is very close and better in some ways than the 380, so it's one of those things you need to really listen to if you can. Twister and other reviewers may know.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #335 of 2,746
Please keep comparisons comming,,, so for baseline for sr25,,, let’s say equal and or a little better than ak380?

this is a good thing
is this the agreeable cocenses?
There used to be a dap chart
Come on sr25 owners, one reviewer said sr25 just slightly better than sr15?

blessing /safety to all

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #336 of 2,746
Does anyone know if this cable will work to connect to Hugo 2 it’s a usb c to coax cable
Don’t want a OTG adapter if I can help it
631836AB-405D-4530-B264-A3CE7D53CF55.jpeg

Jun 17, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #337 of 2,746
Hi Folks.

Had a glimpse of the SR25 in the audio shop today, and nearly pulled the trigger. As I have not own any AK devices before, hence am reading all the posts in here.

I can say I rely heavily on Tidal offline tracks. After reading all 23 pages, I can't see (or I may missed out) any confirmation whether SR25 does full unfold of MQA tracks, regardless from pre-installed/sideload Tidal apps, given the device has a full decoder/renderer capability on the board.
Understood it will unfold fully of downloaded MQA files saved in the device/SD Card, but does that applies to offline and streaming MQA tracks?

I used to own a Sony NW-A105 Walkman, a full MQA renderer device, but only to downloaded MQA files saved in the drive/SD card, and not offline and streaming MQA files from the Android Tidal app.

Any suggestions/confirmation will greatly helps in my decision of snatching this last unit in the shop. And @JasonNYC, looking forward to your kind confirmation in this too.

Thanks, All. And stay safe always.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #339 of 2,746
Hi Folks.

Had a glimpse of the SR25 in the audio shop today, and nearly pulled the trigger. As I have not own any AK devices before, hence am reading all the posts in here.

I can say I rely heavily on Tidal offline tracks. After reading all 23 pages, I can't see (or I may missed out) any confirmation whether SR25 does full unfold of MQA tracks, regardless from pre-installed/sideload Tidal apps, given the device has a full decoder/renderer capability on the board.
Understood it will unfold fully of downloaded MQA files saved in the device/SD Card, but does that applies to offline and streaming MQA tracks?

I used to own a Sony NW-A105 Walkman, a full MQA renderer device, but only to downloaded MQA files saved in the drive/SD card, and not offline and streaming MQA files from the Android Tidal app.

Any suggestions/confirmation will greatly helps in my decision of snatching this last unit in the shop. And @JasonNYC, looking forward to your kind confirmation in this too.

Thanks, All. And stay safe always.

I would say SR25 is much better than NW-A105 in terms of sound quality and battery life. Battery life on Sony’s sucks, I actually didn’t believe the reviews and purchased NW-A105 but had to returned it in just 48 hrs as the battery life is really very very bad like people claiming. I am a Sony fanboy but NW-A105 really disappointed me big time.

Now MQA, it is better here on SR25 with no gimmicky options like Sony’s. Both pre-installed and sideloaded tidal works fantastically but again it depends on what kind of gear you are using.

Happy listening 👍

Jun 18, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #340 of 2,746
I would say SR25 is much better than NW-A105 in terms of sound quality and battery life. Battery life on Sony’s sucks, I actually didn’t believe the reviews and purchased NW-A105 but had to returned it in just 48 hrs as the battery life is really very very bad like people claiming. I am a Sony fanboy but NW-A105 really disappointed me big time.

Now MQA, it is better here on SR25 with no gimmicky options like Sony’s. Both pre-installed and sideloaded tidal works fantastically but again it depends on what kind of gear you are using.

Happy listening 👍
Yes @Dewan7825. I couldn't agree more on the battery life of the NW-A105. Aside from playback from its own Sony Walkman app, which can easily hit 20 hours mark and above easily, using other Android apps is just a battery killer.

And I think I made the right choice today to board the SR25 bus :beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile:

WhatsApp Image 2020-06-18 at 23.11.40.jpeg

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #342 of 2,746
Hi anyone know the LDAC bit rates supported on the SR25 ? Adaptive, 330,66o or 990 kbps, Naturally I want to switch to 990kbps but I dont know how ?

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #344 of 2,746
Hi anyone know the LDAC bit rates supported on the SR25 ? Adaptive, 330,66o or 990 kbps, Naturally I want to switch to 990kbps but I dont know how ?
Am connecting the SR25 to Sony MX3 now as I writing to test the battery life via BT at 100 volume steps. Tried navigate the settings but unable to see any configurations to LDAC.
It only says 'LDAC audio optimisation' upon connected to SR25. Assume it is at 990kbps since both SR25 and MX3 is LDAC compatible.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #345 of 2,746
Am connecting the SR25 to Sony MX3 now as I writing to test the battery life via BT at 100 volume steps. Tried navigate the settings but unable to see any configurations to LDAC.
It only says 'LDAC audio optimisation' upon connected to SR25. Assume it is at 990kbps since both SR25 and MX3 is LDAC compatible.
Thanks for looking, I'm connecting to the Qudelix 5k and only seeing 330kbps. Yet if I connect my mobile phone to the 5k I get 990kbps, Im wondering if AK are just not telling us it is limited to 330. as you cant get into developer options on the SR25 you cant see from the SR25 side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back