Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 21, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #361 of 2,746
Hej guys. Planning to buy this peace of gear and paire it with HD 660s.

Have some questions:
1. Does it support DLNA playback? Also DSD via DLNA
2. Does it have line out to connect with Integrated desktop amp?

Jun 21, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #362 of 2,746
CAn't wait. I pick mine up tomorrow from the dealer who's also a good friend. can't wait. We are going to load a couple of SD cards with 24 and 32 bit music. I can't wait. I'll need to learn how to use it all as I'm just ok technically. I want to make sure it plays at the high levels that I have recorded. I'm ordering a pair of Shure AONIC 50 BT cans tomorrow from Audio46 (these are probably the best BT can's going. Ask for Kelly and use my name and get 10% off use either ctsooner or Pete). This was the only person giving a discount of all the places I called as they are so new.

I was told the AONIC's have a 2.5mm cable when used in wired mode, but I think it's just on the can's side and that it's 3.5mm single ended. Am I able to have a balanced 2.5 mm cable made up to use it in balanced mode when wired? I doubt that I can do it due to the connection on the headphone side, but you guys would know better than i. I'm also going to use these with my ZMF Ori's in Cocobolo (they sound better than the other woods for my ears). I'll be having a balanced cable made up for these for home listening.

So excited about the 25. Finally a portable AK fo rme.

Jun 21, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #363 of 2,746
Can't answer your question 1, as I don't use any of those features.
But here's the Line Out Setting menu:
line_out_setting.jpg

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #364 of 2,746
Honestly, I haven’t really sit down and listen to it as I was busy testing the functionality such as the battery life.
Am quite impressed that it drains 3.67% of battery per hour when connected to Sony’s MX3, playback via default music app (commenced 100% and after 6 hours, 78%) :beyersmile::beyersmile:
Am going to test how long it will last when streaming only, and WiFi + BT.
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
[/QUOTE]
Had another round of battery test by SR25.
This time round is streaming with the pre-installed Tidal app, volume at 60 steps, via balanced output.
96% @ 9.27am
51% @ 6.27pm, and is still running....

WOW!! 45% battery usage for 8 hours via streaming???
AK must be joking. This little beast is killing every DAP in the market right now just for this factor, let alone the rest of other capabilities.

Beginning to love this DAP. And will try out other battery test with different setup.

Jun 22, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #365 of 2,746
Honestly, I haven’t really sit down and listen to it as I was busy testing the functionality such as the battery life.
Am quite impressed that it drains 3.67% of battery per hour when connected to Sony’s MX3, playback via default music app (commenced 100% and after 6 hours, 78%) :beyersmile::beyersmile:
Am going to test how long it will last when streaming only, and WiFi + BT.
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
This time round is streaming with the pre-installed Tidal app, volume at 60 steps, via balanced output.
96% @ 9.27am

AK must be joking. This little beast is killing every DAP in the market right now just for this factor, let alone the rest of other capabilities.

Beginning to love this DAP. And will try out other battery test with different setup.
[/QUOTE]

no matter what I buy, I always have poor battery life. I think it’s my chemistry lol. This is great news.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #366 of 2,746
I'm interested in an answer to the LDAC question from earlier, whether the SR25 only supports 330 kbps or goes up to 990.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #367 of 2,746
I'm interested in an answer to the LDAC question from earlier, whether the SR25 only supports 330 kbps or goes up to 990.
I have paired 2 sets of BT to the SR25, aptX and LDAC respectively.

For LDAC headset (Sony MX3), it only showed 'LDAC optimization etc' sort of (sorry, can't remembered the full phrase), while the aptX headset (Lypertek TEVI) show 'Qualcomm aptX etc' upon connected.

Thus, my assumption for LDAC should be 990Kbps based on the confirmation shown.

Jun 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #368 of 2,746
96% @ 9.27am

no matter what I buy, I always have poor battery life. I think it’s my chemistry lol. This is great news.
[/QUOTE]
Prior to acquiring the SR25, there's couple of DAPs available for me to choose (dx160, 220, Hiby R3 and R6) but SR25 has the longest battery usage amongst. And my testing so far out is beyond my expectation. My last DAP is a Sony NW-A105 and aside the default Sony Music App (easily goes beyond 20 hours mark), other music app (Tidal and UAPP, the most battery-drain app if use to stream Tidal) does not last more than 9 hours. So, its kinda bummer for me although it's a very up to par DAP.

Edit: 36% @ 9.20pm from the last reading....and still, still running

In a nutshell, as of now, its 12 hours of Tidal streaming via the pre-installed app from balanced port. Impressive!

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #369 of 2,746
Thanks for info. Just got my SR25 and case. So excited. Can’t wait to get home and set it up. My buddy will make two micro SD cards with DSD, 32/192 and higher and a few 24/192. Some of it will be live recordings too which is always fun. Pray he can get them to me by next week How does Tidal sound it’s best? Also, I’m ordering the Shure BT headset today. I read that I need to use their app and that I need to use tidal through their app. If so,I assume I have to side load their app?? How do I do that? Thanks guys

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #370 of 2,746
Hi everyone,

I am Luis Mad from Madrid, Spain. I have been lurking around the head fi for some time. Opinions and informations here have been extremely helpful to me. I am a big music fan but not an audiophile expert.

I come from Ipods, iphones with dragonfly black etc. I started recently in the dap world with a Sony nwa-55 which has an excellent sound quality for the price, provided you uncap the volume in Europe, and good battery. It also has a function I love and use, Bluetooth receiver.

I wanted something that could stream too: Apple music, Deezer and files in my pc, things I currently do with the Iphone plus dragonfly. I bought a Sony nwa-105 but the capped volume in Europe is simply ridiculously low. I loved the interface, and sound, but the volume was far too low. Battery time was also extremely bad. I returned the sony nwa-105.

I was considering the Sony nwzx-507 but importing from Japan without warranty worried me, a European capped model was out of the question after returning the lower model.

Finally, last week I bought the Astell and Kern sr-25! The sound is simply WOW compared to anything I have experienced before. It is in a different league from my other players. I was afraid there was going to be little difference between the sr-25 and my other players, boy was I wrong! This is so much better! Clarity of sound and amplification both. I have compared files I know very well like Brahms violin concert with Janine Jansen in Hires flac 24/96 that I have played countless times with the iphone with dragonfly black with the vox app and with the sonys. With the Astell, I can hear details on my headphones I haven’t heard before with my other players. I was blown away by the sr-25. Also I never feel my headphones underpowered with this player. My headphones are Sennheiser HD599, my favourite, Sony WH-1000XM3 excellent both with Bluetooth and cable, Jabra elite 65t (very nice sound cancelling but the sound is poor to my taste) and in ear Sennheiser cx 5 which have been kidnapped by my wife. I am now expecting Final f4000 that should arrive in a few days. Already planning for some future headphones…. Expensive hobby…

Anyway, my impressions on sr-25:

• Player looks and feels good. Really small and portable. Operation peculiar but easy to learn. Here only criticism is lack of any case which at the prices is ridiculous. Official cases are sold out in my country. Also, included screen protectors should come installed!
  • Sound with internal files is amazing. I have a 400 g card that was already formatted and filled with classical music and prepared from the sony. The sr-25 scanned it very fast and works wonderfully with them.
  • Normal flac cd quality files sound excellent. Hi res even better and DSF, DSD files sound beautifully. That was a strong point of the sony for me, but here is even better probably better amplification, I do not know. Only down side the player seems to get very hot with DSD files.
  • Streaming from Apple Music and Deezer works flawlessly. I have tried also to download and play offline files from both Apple music and Deezer without problems.
  • Downloading and installing the approved apps is really very easy. A little bit peculiar having to connect the pc but it is easy.
  • I also use foobar2000 which connects flawlessly to my pc files. Also I can download pc files from the pc to the sr-25 inside foobar2000.
  • Ak connect is also a dlna based system and works equally very well. I had everything there set in my pc with foobar2000 and ak connect immediately recognised the server and started to work. I cannot say if direct DSD streaming is possible since I have not been able to make streaming of those files in their format, they are converted to PCM in all my players when streaming.
  • Furthermore, you can control the sr-25 in ak connect mode both for internal and external files with the ak connect app, available at least for iphones and ipad. That is, you can remotely control the sr-25 from the phone or tablet, but, as far as I can tell, not for so called services (other apps, Apple music, Deezer etc). Maybe somebody knows how to control those remotely?
  • Battery is extremely good. I cannot give reliable estimates since I am now playing a lot with the thing, turning the screen on, trying different features, learning how to use it, but it is simply excellent. I am streaming a lot and the battery drains very slowly unlike the sony nwa-105.
  • Line out works wonderfully. I am going to use this a lot, something that I originaly had not planned but the sound quality shines with any half decent stereo system, like the ones I have that are Denon, Yamaha and Bower and Willkins speakers, nice but not high end at all. Well in these systems using the sr-25 as a source brings remarkable quality to my ears.
  • In summary I am truly pleased with the sr-25. Excellent sound quality, better than anything I knew before, magnificent battery and does everything else I required flawlessly: streaming apps and dlna playing of pc files. Line out at this quality a discovery for me. Only feature I did not find and would like is Bluetooth receiver.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #371 of 2,746
Hi everyone,

I am Luis Mad from Madrid, Spain. I have been lurking around the head fi for some time. Opinions and informations here have been extremely helpful to me. I am a big music fan but not an audiophile expert.

I come from Ipods, iphones with dragonfly black etc. I started recently in the dap world with a Sony nwa-55 which has an excellent sound quality for the price, provided you uncap the volume in Europe, and good battery. It also has a function I love and use, Bluetooth receiver.

I wanted something that could stream too: Apple music, Deezer and files in my pc, things I currently do with the Iphone plus dragonfly. I bought a Sony nwa-105 but the capped volume in Europe is simply ridiculously low. I loved the interface, and sound, but the volume was far too low. Battery time was also extremely bad. I returned the sony nwa-105.

I was considering the Sony nwzx-507 but importing from Japan without warranty worried me, a European capped model was out of the question after returning the lower model.

Finally, last week I bought the Astell and Kern sr-25! The sound is simply WOW compared to anything I have experienced before. It is in a different league from my other players. I was afraid there was going to be little difference between the sr-25 and my other players, boy was I wrong! This is so much better! Clarity of sound and amplification both. I have compared files I know very well like Brahms violin concert with Janine Jansen in Hires flac 24/96 that I have played countless times with the iphone with dragonfly black with the vox app and with the sonys. With the Astell, I can hear details on my headphones I haven’t heard before with my other players. I was blown away by the sr-25. Also I never feel my headphones underpowered with this player. My headphones are Sennheiser HD599, my favourite, Sony WH-1000XM3 excellent both with Bluetooth and cable, Jabra elite 65t (very nice sound cancelling but the sound is poor to my taste) and in ear Sennheiser cx 5 which have been kidnapped by my wife. I am now expecting Final f4000 that should arrive in a few days. Already planning for some future headphones…. Expensive hobby…

Anyway, my impressions on sr-25:

• Player looks and feels good. Really small and portable. Operation peculiar but easy to learn. Here only criticism is lack of any case which at the prices is ridiculous. Official cases are sold out in my country. Also, included screen protectors should come installed!
  • Sound with internal files is amazing. I have a 400 g card that was already formatted and filled with classical music and prepared from the sony. The sr-25 scanned it very fast and works wonderfully with them.
  • Normal flac cd quality files sound excellent. Hi res even better and DSF, DSD files sound beautifully. That was a strong point of the sony for me, but here is even better probably better amplification, I do not know. Only down side the player seems to get very hot with DSD files.
  • Streaming from Apple Music and Deezer works flawlessly. I have tried also to download and play offline files from both Apple music and Deezer without problems.
  • Downloading and installing the approved apps is really very easy. A little bit peculiar having to connect the pc but it is easy.
  • I also use foobar2000 which connects flawlessly to my pc files. Also I can download pc files from the pc to the sr-25 inside foobar2000.
  • Ak connect is also a dlna based system and works equally very well. I had everything there set in my pc with foobar2000 and ak connect immediately recognised the server and started to work. I cannot say if direct DSD streaming is possible since I have not been able to make streaming of those files in their format, they are converted to PCM in all my players when streaming.
  • Furthermore, you can control the sr-25 in ak connect mode both for internal and external files with the ak connect app, available at least for iphones and ipad. That is, you can remotely control the sr-25 from the phone or tablet, but, as far as I can tell, not for so called services (other apps, Apple music, Deezer etc). Maybe somebody knows how to control those remotely?
  • Battery is extremely good. I cannot give reliable estimates since I am now playing a lot with the thing, turning the screen on, trying different features, learning how to use it, but it is simply excellent. I am streaming a lot and the battery drains very slowly unlike the sony nwa-105.
  • Line out works wonderfully. I am going to use this a lot, something that I originaly had not planned but the sound quality shines with any half decent stereo system, like the ones I have that are Denon, Yamaha and Bower and Willkins speakers, nice but not high end at all. Well in these systems using the sr-25 as a source brings remarkable quality to my ears.
  • In summary I am truly pleased with the sr-25. Excellent sound quality, better than anything I knew before, magnificent battery and does everything else I required flawlessly: streaming apps and dlna playing of pc files. Line out at this quality a discovery for me. Only feature I did not find and would like is Bluetooth receiver.
From your above statement, seems like this is your 1st A&K product.
Not to worry. I’m with you since SR25 is my 1st A&K product. And I can finally understand what a premium product represents.

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #372 of 2,746
Thanks for info. Just got my SR25 and case. So excited. Can’t wait to get home and set it up. My buddy will make two micro SD cards with DSD, 32/192 and higher and a few 24/192. Some of it will be live recordings too which is always fun. Pray he can get them to me by next week How does Tidal sound it’s best? Also, I’m ordering the Shure BT headset today. I read that I need to use their app and that I need to use tidal through their app. If so,I assume I have to side load their app?? How do I do that? Thanks guys
May I ask what case have you ordered? Is it from A&K, or from Dignis?
I recently came across that no A&K products are not allowed to distribute to Malaysia from a Singapore. So I have to source for a Dignis case instead and waiting for a response for the seller (in Singapore as well) to confirm my order.

Back to your question on Tidal, SR25 has one pre-installed app but it’s only for streaming and not for offline tracks.
If you offline tracks, you need download the APK Tidal app to playback your offline tracks. And the APK app is the same as the ones in our phones.

And for my ears, I found the SQ of MQAs from the pre-installed Tidal app is more natural, detailed and open compared to the APK Tidal.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #373 of 2,746
May I ask what case have you ordered? Is it from A&K, or from Dignis?
I recently came across that no A&K products are *not* allowed to distribute to Malaysia from a Singapore. So I have to source for a Dignis case instead and waiting for a response for the seller (in Singapore as well) to confirm my order.

Back to your question on Tidal, SR25 has one pre-installed app but it’s only for streaming and not for offline tracks.
If you offline tracks, you need download the APK Tidal app to playback your offline tracks. And the APK app is the same as the ones in our phones.

And for my ears, I found the SQ of MQAs from the pre-installed Tidal app is more natural, detailed and open compared to the APK Tidal.
Sorry. Typo error

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #375 of 2,746
Yes to both. You need to turn on AK Connect in the settings menu. This is our DLNA service.

For line out, you can use either the 3.5mm unbalanced or 2.5mm balanced out and select Line Out in the settings menu to enable line out. Once you turn line out on in the settings menu, you will need to turn the volume knob until the Line Out icon appears on screen and push the icon to enable Line Out.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back