Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 19, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #346 of 2,746
Thanks for looking, I'm connecting to the Qudelix 5k and only seeing 330kbps. Yet if I connect my mobile phone to the 5k I get 990kbps, Im wondering if AK are just not telling us it is limited to 330. as you cant get into developer options on the SR25 you cant see from the SR25 side.
Cant't comment much on AK's OS as this is my 1st ever AK product. But I do note that AK's is a closed OS compare to the Android 9 open OS in Sony's.
And I do heard that AK is quite strict in the tuning of their devices . Hence, the limitation I guess.

Jun 19, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #347 of 2,746
Cant't comment much on AK's OS as this is my 1st ever AK product. But I do note that AK's is a closed OS compare to the Android 9 open OS in Sony's.
And I do heard that AK is quite strict in the tuning of their devices . Hence, the limitation I guess.
Yes it seems so, the dev's at Qudelix are going to add a bit rate monitor to their app soon, so that will tell the story I guess. AK have a good processor in the SR25 so if it is limited to 330 they should fix it and implement a variable or selectable bit rate. Anyway once we know we can ask if it is in the plan. Or I could be totally off base and hearing it wrong. Interestingly their web site says 'No Compromise even when connected Wirelessly' and they mention 990Kbps. So it should run at that speed.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 4:19 AM Post #350 of 2,746
I can say I rely heavily on Tidal offline tracks. After reading all 23 pages, I can't see (or I may missed out) any confirmation whether SR25 does full unfold of MQA tracks, regardless from pre-installed/sideload Tidal apps, given the device has a full decoder/renderer capability on the board.
Understood it will unfold fully of downloaded MQA files saved in the device/SD Card, but does that applies to offline and streaming MQA tracks?
Not too sure if this answer you queries satisfactorily. I just received my SR25 an hour ago and still setting it up. But manage to get the pre-installed Tidal (master quality enabled) streaming working. Played a few songs from my Tidal collection. Billie Ellish's songs played at 44.1khz/MQA. Banks' songs played at 96khz/MQA. And the album "Polarity - an Acoustic Jazz Project" played at 352.8khz/MQA. The Tidal app is version 1.8. And SR25 firmware/OS(?) had auto-updated to 1.10.

EDIT: Just tried some offline MQA files downloaded elsewhere. Seems like the files can play at quite high rates as well (eg: Hoff ensemble album at 352.8khz/MQA).

EDIT2: Just read few posts down, you'd already bought the SR25. So, yeah, I should have read further, and not get distracted by my new toy (SR25) :)

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #351 of 2,746
Not too sure if this answer you queries satisfactorily. I just received my SR25 an hour ago and still setting it up. But manage to get the pre-installed Tidal (master quality enabled) streaming working. Played a few songs from my Tidal collection. Billie Ellish's songs played at 44.1khz/MQA. Banks' songs played at 96khz/MQA. And the album "Polarity - an Acoustic Jazz Project" played at 352.8khz/MQA. The Tidal app is version 1.8. And SR25 firmware/OS(?) had auto-updated to 1.10.

EDIT: Just tried some offline MQA files downloaded elsewhere. Seems like the files can play at quite high rates as well (eg: Hoff ensemble album at 352.8khz/MQA).

EDIT2: Just read few posts down, you'd already bought the SR25. So, yeah, I should have read further, and not get distracted by my new toy (SR25) :)
All good, mate, and thanks for the kind clarification. Noted the pre-installed Tidal app do show the bit rate. Assume it’s unfolding fully by the DAC itself. But still unclear whether it’s the same for offline tracks via the APK Tidal app.

Honestly, I haven’t really sit down and listen to it as I was busy testing the functionality such as the battery life.
Am quite impressed that it drains 3.67% of battery per hour when connected to Sony’s MX3, playback via default music app (commenced 100% and after 6 hours, 78%) :beyersmile::beyersmile:
Am going to test how long it will last when streaming only, and WiFi + BT.
:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #352 of 2,746
Am quite impressed that it drains 3.67% of battery per hour when connected to Sony’s MX3, playback via default music app (commenced 100% and after 6 hours, 78%) :beyersmile::beyersmile:
Am going to test how long it will last when streaming only, and WiFi + BT.
I am using Hiby R3 Pro which has quite good battery life for its small size. It's rated at 16 hours for offline MP3 playing. I get about 10% drain per hour when using wifi & tidal. SR25's claim of 21 hours battery life was one of the reasons I got it. Your 3.67%/hour offline usage does bode well for SR25 streaming battery life. And it will only get better with further firmware releases.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #353 of 2,746
I am using Hiby R3 Pro which has quite good battery life for its small size. It's rated at 16 hours for offline MP3 playing. I get about 10% drain per hour when using wifi & tidal. SR25's claim of 21 hours battery life was one of the reasons I got it. Your 3.67%/hour offline usage does bode well for SR25 streaming battery life. And it will only get better with further firmware releases.
Nice DAP you have, Bro. And yes, the battery life of the SR25 is one of the factor I boarded the SR25's bus :L3000::L3000:

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:14 AM Post #354 of 2,746
Would you recommend this over the ZX-507 paired with CA Andromeda?

I see it has a native OI of 1.8 for 3.5mm and 1.6 for 2.5mm balanced, which a lot of people say is the sweet spot for the Andros.

I haven't tried SR25 but had SP1000M and SR15, currently have the ZX507. I kept the ZX507 and sold the AK's, the Sony sounds more natural to my ears. The Sony's also has an output impedance between 1 and 2 ohms if I remember correctly.

Jun 20, 2020 at 2:50 PM Post #357 of 2,746
Listening today to Rage Against The Machine title album. SR25 and Thieaudio Roland. All I can say is WOW! What a great experience. Everything is just spot on, sound stage, dynamic range, and that trademark bass guitar. The sub bass on the SR25 is just awesome. Sustain of cymbals really stands out. Snare cuts through the mix as intended. As I said spot on. SR25 is a great little portable.

Jun 20, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #358 of 2,746
Listening today to Rage Against The Machine title album. SR25 and Thieaudio Roland. All I can say is WOW! What a great experience. Everything is just spot on, sound stage, dynamic range, and that trademark bass guitar. The sub bass on the SR25 is just awesome. Sustain of cymbals really stands out. Snare cuts through the mix as intended. As I said spot on. SR25 is a great little portable.
Agree. I've been listening to Audioquest's MQA compilation on Tidal - the decay between notes are quite noticeable in some songs. To my ears, it makes a clean, spacious sound with good dynamics & instrument placements. I think this entry-level player will win over new fans to the brand.

Jun 20, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #359 of 2,746
Agree. I've been listening to Audioquest's MQA compilation on Tidal - the decay between notes are quite noticeable in some songs. To my ears, it makes a clean, spacious sound with good dynamics & instrument placements. I think this entry-level player will win over new fans to the brand.

Listening now with SR25 balanced line out to WA11 Topaz and Meze 99 Noir, with some good old grunge, loving every minute of it. The SR25 sound carries over really well and the amplification of the WA11 adds some Woo Audio expertise to the mix while not altering any of the SR25 sonics. I might go out on a limb here, but for me this is the best bang for the buck. For the price I think you are right. At 700 USD this is a bargain and a great introduction to HiFi as it can be.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #360 of 2,746
I might go out on a limb here, but for me this is the best bang for the buck. For the price I think you are right. At 700 USD this is a bargain and a great introduction to HiFi as it can be.
As long as it's your limb, not mine! :) But yeah, I was searching to upgrade from my little Hiby R3 Pro to its bigger brother, R6 Pro. Then I saw the 21 hour battery life claim for the SR25; I often use small DAPs on longer flights, so SR25 was an appropriate upgrade for my purpose. The improved display & cleaner, wider sound were nice bonuses. If only the planes get flying again. So, SR25, some IEMs, masks, face shield, laptop, pre-flight medical checks and I am good to go! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back