Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 8, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #302 of 2,745
It's possible the metadata did not index correctly when it was first loaded on the player. I would recommend trying a manual media scan to reindex the tracks. Settings -> System Reset -> Initialize media scan. If you have playlists saved on the player, please make sure "clear playlists" is not selected. Hit ok. It can take about 10 minutes for the player to rescan all media files in internal memory and on microSD card. You will see a message that says scanning media in the notification bar.
Well, that was easy. Both "problems" were solved by doing the media scan. Thank you, @JasonNYC.

Jun 8, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #303 of 2,745
Well, it was the iBasso or the SR25. I just ordered mine with the red leather case. Can't wait for it to arrive. I'm going to use my ZMF Ori's (Cocobolo cups). I have to figure out which Audio Arts cable to use with it as I will run it in balanced mode. Very excited. I'll hopefully have the EE Odin's once they have their final tuning from Dean. That's what I really want to hear.

Thanks Twister :wink:. !!!

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #304 of 2,745
@Dewan7825:
I have sideloaded the apk version 2.24.0 of Tidal. I have the same issue as other users, since this version doesn't show the output. But I have added my Dragonfly Red to my SR25 and in both the pre-installed Tidal app and the sideloaded version, the Dragonfly indicates the same colour, purple. So, both apps are able to deliver MQA, the question is, if it's unfolded only through the Dragonfly or already on the SR25.

I think after attaching an DAC like dragonfly red or cobalt it will show the purple light because mqa decoding happening through the DAC itself not through SR25. I do have dragonfly cobalt and can achieve mqa through it but then what’s the meaning? I can still do the same with my iPhone.

Jun 11, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #305 of 2,745
I think after attaching an DAC like dragonfly red or cobalt it will show the purple light because mqa decoding happening through the DAC itself not through SR25. I do have dragonfly cobalt and can achieve mqa through it but then what’s the meaning? I can still do the same with my iPhone.
Yes, I agree. As I wrote, it just shows that the sideloaded app is able to deliver MQA, but maybe it doesn't do native unfolding.
To be honest, I switched between the native app and the apk version I have and with my gear and my ears, I don't hear any difference. So for me, it doesn't really matter. Of course, I would be disappointed if it turns out that the sideloaded version doesn't play the highest possible version, since this was one of the criteria for buying the SR25 and JasonNYC confirmed it here on this forum. I would still enjoy my music and that is what counts for me, but my trust in the company would be broken and I wouldn't buy another device from them.

Maybe with better gear, one can hear a difference? How would you describe the difference in sound you mentioned?

Jun 11, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #306 of 2,745
Yes, I agree. As I wrote, it just shows that the sideloaded app is able to deliver MQA, but maybe it doesn't do native unfolding.
To be honest, I switched between the native app and the apk version I have and with my gear and my ears, I don't hear any difference. So for me, it doesn't really matter. Of course, I would be disappointed if it turns out that the sideloaded version doesn't play the highest possible version, since this was one of the criteria for buying the SR25 and JasonNYC confirmed it here on this forum. I would still enjoy my music and that is what counts for me, but my trust in the company would be broken and I wouldn't buy another device from them.

Maybe with better gear, one can hear a difference? How would you describe the difference in sound you mentioned?

Frankly I hear only difference while listening master tracks, they sounds more open and clear with the pre installed app. I am not an audiophile, so can’t tell more in technical terms but as you mentioned JasonNYC has confirmed that there is no android limitation on sideloaded app then it could be true. I am using Fiio FA7 and Sennheiser IE 400 pro IEMS both with single ended 3.5mm cable, not very high end setup.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #307 of 2,745
Frankly I hear only difference while listening master tracks, they sounds more open and clear with the pre installed app. I am not an audiophile, so can’t tell more in technical terms but as you mentioned JasonNYC has confirmed that there is no android limitation on sideloaded app then it could be true. I am using Fiio FA7 and Sennheiser IE 400 pro IEMS both with single ended 3.5mm cable, not very high end setup.

I have always found it odd that none of the marketing materials (web site) indicate that any of the A&K portables bypass SRC for side loaded apps. You would think that it would at least by mentioned as a feature or shown in the specifications...

Also, Amazon HD clearly shows 24/48 as the device capability.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #308 of 2,745

I notice it as well via the Kann Cube. Just seems more confined/ compressed. I’m not convinced that it plays at the same sample rate.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #311 of 2,745
I have looked through and cannot find answer so sorry if I am repeating. I am not able open the Xapk version of Tidal when I side load it. It loads but does not open. I also tried use just an apk and I get the same response. The akp I was using was 2.62.1. I did not have any problem slide loading with the SR15, could I do doing something wrong?

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #312 of 2,745
I have looked through and cannot find answer so sorry if I am repeating. I am not able open the Xapk version of Tidal when I side load it. It loads but does not open. I also tried use just an apk and I get the same response. The akp I was using was 2.62.1. I did not have any problem slide loading with the SR15, could I do doing something wrong?

I think first you need to install XAPK Installer. Just search it on APKPure.

5C6AA9DF-C539-418C-9144-DE409DAD6989.jpeg

Jun 12, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #313 of 2,745
Hi! Is the EQ of this player working system wide? Can I use it with streaming services like Tidal or Apple music?

Jun 12, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #315 of 2,745
Does any one have rough estimates for battery playtime using tidal? If it’s anywhere near the 21 hours for flac files on device I’ll be very tempted.
For online streaming, I get more or less Palpatine79's number, although it's more like 11 hours in my case (screen brightness down to 10%). Since I mostly download my music in order to listen on the go, I get way more battery life in offline Tidal mode: Around 17-18 hours. (Volume between 30 and 40, unbalanced cable, screen brightness at 10%, wifi and bluetooth switched off)

@Dewan7825: Thanks for replying! This morning I had the impression that female singers are a little bit more powerful and clearer in the native app, but by now I don't trust my brain anymore. I shall do some more blind testing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back