Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jun 24, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #421 of 2,746
Is this a good entry level dap? I’ve just entered the hobby with a new set of Andro 2020s and am looking for a DAP.
I was originally looking at the ZX507 but I see that bit perfect MQA streaming isn’t fully supported yet. Not to mention the battery life compared to what I’ve heard of the SR25.
TIDAL is my main streaming service and is what I’d mostly be using.
I'll state what I view as "good" about this player (in no particular order of merit).
- Decent battery life.
- Quality feel of hardware construction.
- Size of audio cassette (ie: quite small).
- Yet has a good quality display.
- Sound signature which I enjoy - clean & neutral dynamics.
- Reliable manufacturer support.
- Android 9.
- Cheapest new A&K DAP, other than SR15 (but I could be wrong) :)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #422 of 2,746
I think first you need to install XAPK Installer. Just search it on APKPure.

So I've got a new SR25, updated firmware to 1.10, and now looking to side load Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify etc..

This must be my total lack of experience with Android, but what does it mean to 'install XAPK Installer' onto the SR25?

I can download "XAPK Installer Rush Wars Installer_v2.2.2_apkpure.com.apk" from APKPure to my Mac ok, but then what do I do with it?

Jun 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #423 of 2,746
So I've got a new SR25, updated firmware to 1.10, and now looking to side load Tidal, Apple Music, Spotify etc..

This must be my total lack of experience with Android, but what does it mean to 'install XAPK Installer' onto the SR25?

I can download "XAPK Installer Rush Wars Installer_v2.2.2_apkpure.com.apk" from APKPure to my Mac ok, but then what do I do with it?

You can refer here on for installation of the XAPK and other side load apps.

Hope it helps.

Jun 26, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #425 of 2,746
I’ve had the SR25 since June 3 and have had serious problems using offline content with both Tidal and Qobuz. The main reasons I invested in the SR25 are offline content, battery life, and small form factor.

Qobuz crashes and will not restart after downloading music. Re-install a different version of Qobuz, download content again and the same problem—hours wasted.

Tidal offline worked great until yesterday. Downloaded content is visible but will not play; “No connection—tap to refresh”. A&K recommended an older version of Tidal (2.24.0). Will give that a try.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #426 of 2,746
Qobuz crashes and will not restart after downloading music. Re-install a different version of Qobuz, download content again and the same problem—hours wasted.
Tidal downloaded content is visible but will not play; “No connection—tap to refresh”. Trying older versions of Tidal and restore offline content—more hours wasted.
I’m beginning to think the problem is with A&K and not with the streaming services. I hope this issue is solved soon because I like the SR25 and do not want to return it.
Not experienced any of the problems that you described. I don't use Qobuz, but use the built-in Tidal 1.8 as well as the downloaded Tidal 2.26.1. Both versions worked fine. Try testing with different router/location with only the built-in Tidal and uninstall all other APKs. If the problem persists, I would guess it could be hardware issue.

EDIT: I use Tidal online only, I did not download any songs offline.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #427 of 2,746
You can refer here on for installation of the XAPK and other side load apps.

Hope it helps.

yup, thanks to you and Luis Mad, that’s done it. Didn't realize it was as simple as copying those .apk's to the Open Service folder...

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #428 of 2,746
I’ve had the SR25 since June 3 and have had serious problems using offline content with both Tidal and Qobuz. The main reasons I invested in the SR25 are offline content, battery life, and small form factor.

Tidal offline worked great until yesterday. Downloaded content is visible but will not play; “No connection—tap to refresh”. A&K recommended an older version of Tidal (2.24.0). Will give that a try.

I was getting a different error, but having just got Tidal apk working today myself, I found I had to go into the Tidal settings and select Offline Mode for it to only play what I've downloaded. Seems to work OK, my Tidal apk version is 2.27

Jun 27, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #429 of 2,746
Just on the topic of these sideloaded apps, Tidal, Apple etc, does the SR25 only use the inbuilt 64gb, or will it also use the SD card to store offline downloads?

Jun 27, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #430 of 2,746
Confirmed with the dev team last night, SR25 supports adaptive LDAC which will automatically select between 330/660/990 depending on what the headphone/IEM supports and connection strength.
Thank you Jason, appreciate the update.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #432 of 2,746
Help needed here also. I own a MacBook Pro and have gone to the akpure page and downloaded the app as well as the Tidal app from that page. I connected my SR25 to the computer via BT and the computer won't let me open the apps from download. Says that I don't have a program to open either with. What have I done wrong please? thanks.

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #433 of 2,746
Just on the topic of these sideloaded apps, Tidal, Apple etc, does the SR25 only use the inbuilt 64gb, or will it also use the SD card to store offline downloads?
Yes, you can store downloaded files on the external SD card. You have to select the destination in the Tidal apk app, though, since by default it saves the files locally. I have all my downloaded music on my SD card and it works perfectly (Tidal 2.24 apk).

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #434 of 2,746
do I need to install Bluestacks 4 on Mac to be able to download and use XAPK app?

Jun 27, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #435 of 2,746
Help needed here also. I own a MacBook Pro and have gone to the akpure page and downloaded the app as well as the Tidal app from that page. I connected my SR25 to the computer via BT and the computer won't let me open the apps from download. Says that I don't have a program to open either with. What have I done wrong please? thanks.
I don't understand. You don't need to install or open the apps/files on your computer. Just add them to the folder "Open Service" on your SR25 when it is connected. See here for instructions: https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/content/support/faq/view.asp?li=1000606

If it doesn't work, someone else need to help, since I don't use Apple products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back