Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Jul 20, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #2,446 of 2,750
If I remember correctly, we've used the 2021.06.04-release here in the US in the past. The message still pops up about Google Play services, but you can just hit ok and you are able to log in without issue and everything works. I will pull out a SR25 and test again as it has been a while.
Ok... here's the thing. I downloaded and installed the 06.06-release and it gave the same problem and I couldn't log in again. I tried to create a new ID using my iCloud ID on a cellphone and used that to log in, it works. Yes.
However the Soundcloud ID that I've always used with 6 years of history, followed artists, etc. - nope; I think I'll have to manually add them to the new ID :frowning2:
Not my ideal expectation when I've spent a fair bit on this, but I guess I don't have an option but to make do until a fix is found.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #2,447 of 2,750
yes, I edited my post. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi stability issue fixes are for both the SR25 and SR25 MK II. The SR25 will also get the additional new feature of the download tab for streaming services, which is already available on the SR25 MK II since launch.
Do we get auto-power off back?

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #2,448 of 2,750
Mr. JasonNYC,

The SR25 still does not turn itself off even after the new update. Did they not care to fix that? Do they even know? Am used to turn it off manually, but it can-and has-been the cause of undesirable, unintentional battery drain.

If it does turn itself off for you, please explain what I could be doing wrong. Sorry for the continuing bug.

Jul 21, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #2,450 of 2,750
Mr. JasonNYC,

The SR25 still does not turn itself off even after the new update. Did they not care to fix that? Do they even know? Am used to turn it off manually, but it can-and has-been the cause of undesirable, unintentional battery drain.

If it does turn itself off for you, please explain what I could be doing wrong. Sorry for the continuing bug.
The timer settings on my SR25 does work correctly. I have 'Auto Power Off' set for 30 minutes and it turns itself off right on time. (FW 1.70). I'll consider myself lucky.

Jul 23, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #2,453 of 2,750
Please! Can someone tell the meaning of the single green semiquaver note 🎶 that appears next to the song title, they appear on certain tracks, I don't know why because I don't know the meaning of the symbol... can't find anything in the user manual. Many Thanks in advance 😊

Jul 24, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #2,454 of 2,750
Please! Can someone tell the meaning of the single green semiquaver note 🎶 that appears next to the song title, they appear on certain tracks, I don't know why because I don't know the meaning of the symbol... can't find anything in the user manual. Many Thanks in advance 😊
Not sure, but it looks similar to the replaygain icon. Maybe it's somehow connected with this feature.

Aug 1, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #2,456 of 2,750
The unbalanced output of my SR25 is insanely low volume. I need to turn the volume up to around 100 on the dial to get decent sound. Is that normal? Is my SR25 defective?
Sounds pretty normal to me. I used unbalanced for about a day before I switched to balanced. Since the volume's max is 150, 100 is reasonable for a robust listening experience. With my iem's (Meze Rai Solo's) connected to the balanced jack, most recordings sound pretty loud at a setting of 70, but sometimes I crank up to 80. However, 80 can be much too loud depending on the individual track/album.

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #2,457 of 2,750
Was thinking about getting a DAP eventually, and came across A&K! The SR25 MKII will probably be what I'm getting, but I had a few questions first:

1. How is A&K's customer service, and warranty support? I can't find any customer experiences online.

2. I read somewhere that A&K DAPs do not support Tidal. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I'd like to know if it is true even if I am not thinking about getting Tidal. I just like having my options open.

3. On the spec sheet, the output power of the SR25 MKII is measured in vrms, but this is confusing to me as I normally read power output in mw. Does anyone have the output power of this DAP in mw?

4. How well does this DAP do at powering full sized headphones?

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 10:32 PM Post #2,458 of 2,750
The unbalanced output of my SR25 is insanely low volume. I need to turn the volume up to around 100 on the dial to get decent sound. Is that normal? Is my SR25 defective?
This depends entirely on the headphone or IEM, and how sensitive they are. With the Cascade for example, 100-110 is not unusual, but at the other end, the Andromeda is happy from 25-40 at most, and the 64’s are good around 50-60.

Good news is that SR25 caters well for all of them..

Aug 1, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,459 of 2,750
Was thinking about getting a DAP eventually, and came across A&K! The SR25 MKII will probably be what I'm getting, but I had a few questions first:

1. How is A&K's customer service, and warranty support? I can't find any customer experiences online.

2. I read somewhere that A&K DAPs do not support Tidal. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I'd like to know if it is true even if I am not thinking about getting Tidal. I just like having my options open.

3. On the spec sheet, the output power of the SR25 MKII is measured in vrms, but this is confusing to me as I normally read power output in mw. Does anyone have the output power of this DAP in mw?

1. Can’t say from personal experience, but @JasonNYC frequents this and the other A&K threads regularly, and seems very helpful to those with issues.

2. There is a pre-installed version of Tidal with their firmware, and you can sideload Tidal apk from 3rd party stores if you like.

3. Not sure, but it isn’t a lot.

4. OK I guess? Depends a lot on the headphone, and it’s sensitivity/power requirements, although you should not expect performance equivalent to a desktop rig or higher-end DAP. While you can get away with some headphones on the SR25, I think it’s best use is with IEMs.

Aug 1, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #2,460 of 2,750
1. Can’t say from personal experience, but @JasonNYC frequents this and the other A&K threads regularly, and seems very helpful to those with issues.

2. There is a pre-installed version of Tidal with their firmware, and you can sideload Tidal apk from 3rd party stores if you like.

3. Not sure, but it isn’t a lot.

4. OK I guess? Depends a lot on the headphone, and it’s sensitivity/power requirements, although you should not expect performance equivalent to a desktop rig or higher-end DAP. While you can get away with some headphones on the SR25, I think it’s best use is with IEMs.

I have a SR15 so don't know much about the SR25 but I do know about support
It is pretty awesome. I had quite a few problems with my SR15 (I'm just one of those people, never won the lottery but always gets the broken one - ho hum!)
I had to return it twice. On both occasions their support team was very helpful and communicative
They do an excellent job of reporting their progress and issues that they find.
Having said that, at least in my case, it was returned to Korea for actual hardware to be repaired - so that does take a little time.
But once the unit is returned to A&K here from Korea the team US side updates you and retests the units to ensure that the reported problems are corrected before returning.

So I gotta hand it to them A+++ for support from me !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back