Astell & Kern SR25: The next A&norma player
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #2,386 of 2,746
It's seemingly worse. I manually turned off my SR25 last night with about 75% battery left. I just turned it back on and the battery is now at 27%. Is there a way to go back to the old firmware until this is sorted out?
Updated mine and getting none of those problems...

May 6, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #2,388 of 2,746
An amazing combination: the SR25 with the Etymotic Evo.

48B8D2DD-1C74-492F-8376-3FC4DA73A223.jpeg

May 7, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #2,389 of 2,746
It's seemingly worse. I manually turned off my SR25 last night with about 75% battery left. I just turned it back on and the battery is now at 27%. Is there a way to go back to the old firmware until this is sorted out?
In my experience, battery life is the best it has ever been after the update. But if by accident you left it on thinking it turned off, then you will get this battery drain surprise.

In my opinion, battery life is *great*, but now you must always to turn it off whenever not using it. It is indeed a *problem*, but not a battery life problem.

If indeed you had this battery drain issue, maybe there is something wrong with the unit? I have never had this occur after the update.

For those interested, the original SR25 is still worth it, and if you find it on sale, even better. Let's just hope they notice and fix this bug soon.

May 8, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #2,391 of 2,746
Anyone knows how to make the SR25 capable of displaying characters from other countries? We live in an universal world, especially concerning music.

My main issue is that albums with Japanese characters just display question marks, rather than the intended, original characters. This messes up album, artists, genre lists, as sometimes albums are improperly mixed even though they do not belong to the same file folder. The auto detection utterly fails in properly classifying these albums. It is a problem even with classical albums originally recorded in Japanese when the tracks are not in English. But it is even a worse problem for Japanese music.

If anyone can help me patch my system so all languages display correctly, it would ve most helpful. Or a workaround-I am OK with the silly question marks if it did not mess up each album tracks. It recently created a long album of question marks, instead of the 4 separate albums I had initially transferred from my CDs.

(I assume typing the track titles in English characters will fix the issue, but I do not wish to do that.)

May 16, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #2,394 of 2,746
I can't get the SR25 to pair via Bluetooth with my new car. The Device Manager cannot find it. My phone paired on the first try. Bluetooth is "on" on the SR25 but is not found. The car is a 2022 Porsche Macan. Is there more I need to do?

May 16, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,395 of 2,746
I’m having a weird issue with my Qobuz app. It won’t let me download two recent albums I purchased in hi-res from Qobuz. I can import them but I can’t download them. I can download previous purchases. Just not these two latest purchases. Weirder still, although one album won’t download at all, the other one lets me download four of the five tracks. There’s plenty of storage space, so that’s not the issue. And again, I can re-download other purchases.

May 17, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,396 of 2,746
Other than the File Drop I don't see much use to the most recent firmware update.

File Drop: It has already been mentioned that it doesn't give access to the SD card, which is weird.

Battery/Power Issues: I haven't experienced them so far, but I've noticed that the player doesn't fully shutdown (sometimes) since it resumes playback of the previous music. Which means that it's on standby mode, which may drain the battery slightly.

The new "pop-up box" that shows, instead of the "back arrow", in the now playing screen when pressing "go to folder" is downgrade from the previous behaviour since I cannot go up folder levels from this screen - and requires two touches. Give me a option to revert to previous behaviour please.

May 22, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #2,397 of 2,746
I have a question about using balanced out on sr25 mkii with iems.

Can I use my etys ER4-XR with stock cable that it came with connected to balanced out on sr25 mkii using 3.5 to 2.5 or 3.5 to 4.4 adapter or do I need to get a special balanced cable for etys first (what would happen If I just use the 3.5 to 2.5 or 3.5 to 4.4 adapter with stock ety cable would it damage my iems? Is this type of connection even possible/recommended/safe to use at all?

I am asking because one ytube guy said that he is getting best sound out of an 4.4 output on sr25 and that 3.5 output sounds thin sounding compared?

To answer my own question looks like its possible with something like this:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

There is a note on that website:

Please note: negative balanced signals are not connected to ground in the adapter, enabling a 3.5mm single-ended headphone connector to be converted for use with a balanced 4.4mm output without risk of damage to the amplifier. This adapter does not convert a single-ended connector into a balanced one – the connection remains single-ended.

Curious to possibly test it for myself and compare it in the future... (its 19 eur + shipping from one eu shop hmm)

Maybe something like this is a better solution but more expensive too:
https://us.astellnkern.com/products/4-4mm-mmcx-cable-pep11

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,398 of 2,746
I have a question about using balanced out on sr25 mkii with iems.

Can I use my etys ER4-XR with stock cable that it came with connected to balanced out on sr25 mkii using 3.5 to 2.5 or 3.5 to 4.4 adapter or do I need to get a special balanced cable for etys first (what would happen If I just use the 3.5 to 2.5 or 3.5 to 4.4 adapter with stock ety cable would it damage my iems? Is this type of connection even possible/recommended/safe to use at all?

I am asking because one ytube guy said that he is getting best sound out of an 4.4 output on sr25 and that 3.5 output sounds thin sounding compared?

To answer my own question looks like its possible with something like this:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/headphone-adapter-3-5mm-to-4-4mm/

There is a note on that website:

Please note: negative balanced signals are not connected to ground in the adapter, enabling a 3.5mm single-ended headphone connector to be converted for use with a balanced 4.4mm output without risk of damage to the amplifier. This adapter does not convert a single-ended connector into a balanced one – the connection remains single-ended.

Curious to possibly test it for myself and compare it in the future... (its 19 eur + shipping from one eu shop hmm)

You simply can't convert a single-ended headphone cable plug (3 conductor wire) to a balanced one (4 conductor wire) with an adapter. The iFi adapter may make sound, but it won't be balanced so no point in trying.

You can do the opposite (balanced to single-ended) no problem.

May 22, 2022 at 10:22 AM Post #2,399 of 2,746
You simply can't convert a single-ended headphone cable plug (3 conductor wire) to a balanced one (4 conductor wire) with an adapter. The iFi adapter may make sound, but it won't be balanced so no point in trying.

You can do the opposite (balanced to single-ended) no problem.

Good to know Thanks!

Looking at this cable now:
is that a true balanced cable as it should be?

Looks like it is...
https://www.carousell.sg/p/astell-k...ilver-plated-copper-upgrade-cable-1123232147/

I am now trying hard not to order that cable but I am so weak... and probably will order it for my etys today to be used with sr25 mkii
Because If its a true balanced one ... someone tell me not to please:)

Last edited:
May 22, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #2,400 of 2,746
Good to know Thanks!

Looking at this cable now:
is that a true balanced cable as it should be?

I am now trying hard not to order that cable but I am so weak... and probably will order it for my etys today to be used with sr25 mkii
Because If its a true balanced one ... someone tell me not to please:)

Etymotic makes one in 2.5mm:

https://www.etymotic.com/product/mmcx-to-2-5mm-balanced-audio-cable-60-silver-er-series/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back