Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,491 of 2,727
Ah in that case I will get that too - Just unpacked it and it wouldn't turn on so now charging with its usb cable from my front mac port but could I use my iPad air adaptor as that supplies more power or is that not advised ? I notice it gave the spinning A symbol which I presume means it charging....as its not mentioned in the instructions.

I have to say its lovely bit of kit - has a lovely weight and feel to it.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #2,492 of 2,727
Had a strange / nice surprise last night as I was running the MQS Streaming app on my Mac in my studio and then was looking though my SD cards on my new LG B9 TV in the lounge and lo and behold next to the SD card was the MQS app ! Presumably I could stream audio direct from my Mac to the LG then to my Q80R soundbar over wifi presumably at lossless quality ?

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #2,494 of 2,727
Quick update on playlists:

We've been testing here in the US and put together some detailed reports for the dev and engineering teams. Had a call last night with the various groups to discuss. Everyone fully understands the issue users are having now and as we all know, the engineering team agrees that since the Open App update, external playlists are broken. They need to research and check all the code to find out what the issue is and how to restore it. I have no ETA on this, it could be a quick process or could take a while. They will also need to test that any fix they implement will not break Open App or affect something else. Unfortunately again, I have no idea on timing, but there is now some urgency on figuring this out and working to resolve it.

What is the status here, @JasonNYC? - its mind-blowing how crappy the AK support has been...

Dec 4, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #2,495 of 2,727
What is the status here, @JasonNYC? - its mind-blowing how crappy the AK support has been...
I second Jeremy’s request for Astell&Kern to get their act together.
I’ve just got a AK SE200. I tried to modify a playlist and discovered that every time I loaded the playlist back into the SE200, the text was deleted. I persevered, trying different approaches, eventually reading a forum that stated that Astell&Kern will not allow a playlist created or modified by a third party app. This is not a satisfactory situation. With such an expensive DAP I expected to be able to do this. If this is not changed in a (soon to be released) firmware update I may have to look at changing to another DAP. I hope Astell&Kern will respond positivel.

Dec 5, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #2,496 of 2,727
Quick update on playlists:

We've been testing here in the US and put together some detailed reports for the dev and engineering teams. Had a call last night with the various groups to discuss. Everyone fully understands the issue users are having now and as we all know, the engineering team agrees that since the Open App update, external playlists are broken. They need to research and check all the code to find out what the issue is and how to restore it. I have no ETA on this, it could be a quick process or could take a while. They will also need to test that any fix they implement will not break Open App or affect something else. Unfortunately again, I have no idea on timing, but there is now some urgency on figuring this out and working to resolve it.

I just got my SR15 back from being serviced and of course they wiped everything. But for the life of me I cannot find where playlist are stored. When I look on the internal storage in playlist folder there are no files. But I have started recreating my playlist. I need to be able to download file so I don't have to create it again.

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #2,497 of 2,727
I posted a similar question on the iBasso DX160 thread, so I thought I may as well get the other side of the story over here. The SR15 is now only $385 (actually 39980 Japanese yen), exactly the same price as the DX160 at the moment. I had an AK100MKII a few years back and liked the sound, so had pretty much decided to get the SR15 while it's such a good price. Then the DX160 caught my eye. I've already bought a pair of AK Billie Jean IEMs, as I thought they would be a good natch for the SR15, but imagine they'll also sound great with the DX160. I don't listen to any music over streaming services, and listen to a lot of genres, but mostly rock. I'm still leaning slightly towards the SR15, but want to make a concrete decision in the next couple of days. Any views on either player would be much appreciated!

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #2,498 of 2,727
I don’t know the ibasso very wel but I have the SR15.
As long as you don’t need the wifi much, it is a great sounding dap. I compared it with the Fiio M11 pro and the SR15 is the winner.
Great soundstage, details, and with iems very dynamic too.
When I listen with a Beyerdynamic T5p it is short of power.
The SR15 is nice to transport, small not too heavy.
But, I think you can’t use it as a BT dap which is very handy with the M11 and an iPhone.
Not surr about the DX 160.
For the price at this moment I’ll recommend it for sure. .
Good luck, Arno

Dec 10, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #2,500 of 2,727
I don’t know the ibasso very wel but I have the SR15.
As long as you don’t need the wifi much, it is a great sounding dap. I compared it with the Fiio M11 pro and the SR15 is the winner.
Great soundstage, details, and with iems very dynamic too.
When I listen with a Beyerdynamic T5p it is short of power.
The SR15 is nice to transport, small not too heavy.
But, I think you can’t use it as a BT dap which is very handy with the M11 and an iPhone.
Not surr about the DX 160.
For the price at this moment I’ll recommend it for sure. .
Good luck, Arno
Thanks! I won't be using it with full-sized headphones, just IEMs. I read that it gets hot with the initial burn-in, but that it stays cool after that. I also had some concerns about the battery running down quickly. Are these problems you've experienced?

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,501 of 2,727
I never have problem with the battery, but I use it for a few hours mostly.
Sometimes, specialy in a pocket, it turns warm. Really warm sometimes but not all the time. Don’t know why.
I know it was worse the first days/weeks.
For me the most irritating is the wifi but also with the M11 it is bad.

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,502 of 2,727
How does the SR15 handle streaming Qobuz? Is the wifi solid? Do the Qobuz controls render well on the screen?

thanks!

Dec 12, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #2,503 of 2,727
How does the SR15 handle streaming Qobuz? Is the wifi solid? Do the Qobuz controls render well on the screen?

wait....just read the comment about the wifi. Can you say a little more about it? I heard A&K had issues on some models.

thanks!

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,504 of 2,727
The distance I can use wifi is onlt a few meters, about 3, from a router or access station.
a bitfurther and the signal drops, fast. This is not a problem with downloaded flacs from Qobuz.
Qobuz itself works very nice but the screen is small and at certain age, :wink:, this doesn’t help.
sound quality is great!

Dec 13, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #2,505 of 2,727
Ha! I understand 🙂. I am trying to decide whether to go with the SR15 (at a nice price discount) or the SR 25. Wifi quality would make the difference in my decision if the SR25 is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back