Astell & Kern SR15: A&norma Impressions & Reviews
Aug 27, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #46 of 2,727
Im sure a driver update will fix the usb dac functionality. I also have been having terrible wifi performance.

So what what headphone/IEM are you using with the sr15?

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #48 of 2,727
Im mostly using ie800. They sound great on the SR15. Some stuff I need to turn on the Pro EQ though because the bass gets a little choppy.

I got Shure SE846. I just got the DAP yesterday so i cant review it until it is burned in, how does the soundstage sound to you?It seems rather deep and tall, but perhaps not as wide as I would like. I originally bought the FIIO X7mkii, but I exchanged it for the SE15. The FIIO sound was just a bit too aggressive for me, and I read the sr15 is a bit smoother and more musical. So far I think the sound is an improvement. Also the SE846 and X7 mkii combo is very unforgiving for mp3's and poor recordings. Unless the source is phenomenal, I was always unhappy with something, but the sr15 sounds more fluid, forgiving, and perhaps more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #49 of 2,727
Brief comparison between sr15 and ak70mkii.
The sr15 is slightly more detailed (just slightly) than the ak70. Also, the sr15 has better both ends control than the ak70. The sr15 has a slightly recessed vocal while the ak70 has a more focus on the mid range.
Output power wise, they are identical. The UI of the sr15 is smoother than the ak70

Aug 28, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #51 of 2,727
It is supposed to, but I cannot get it to work, and the wifi function so far is terrible.

Wifi works ok for me, but I cannot make it work as a USB DAC with my Surface running Windows 10

Patricio

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #52 of 2,727
So I've burned in the SR15 for about 40 hours+ so its sounding better than when I first got it. I'm not good at reviews, but I can say it is very smooth and musical sounding and yet detailed. The vocals seem a bit pushed back, But the bass is rumbly and detailed. Sound stage is a bit narrow but deep and there is good 3d effect and placement of instruments. Treble seems to extend well and there is clarity and some shimmer. Overall impression is rich texture yet smooth and musical. I am still getting used to the tame mids, but in spite of it all there is the usual smooth detail.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #53 of 2,727
Picked mine up today. I'm new to this and only have an Oppo HA-2 to compare with. I'm using it with a pair of AKG N5005 and I am very impressed. I'm using Tidal streaming at the moment, and so far it sounds fantastic. Transparency is very good, as is the clarity. It's a little warm and I'd say musical but not too much. Balanced makes it more neutral and brings out the highs more. This however is before it's been worn in and it's hard to say how much of this is the AKG's.
Interface is really clean and easy to use, and I'm most impressed by its size! It's tiny! Early days, but loving it so far!

Hi, so is it sounding better now that it is burned in a little more? I've had mine since saturday and its burned in about 30+ hours and its sounding much more musical and less harsh, I'm really liking it so far...

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #54 of 2,727
Hi, so is it sounding better now that it is burned in a little more? I've had mine since saturday and its burned in about 30+ hours and its sounding much more musical and less harsh, I'm really liking it so far...

Yeah absolutely. I've burned mine in for around 200 hours now and it's really opened up. The detail is really good and I'm really enjoying listening to it. Definitely getting better the longer I'm using it. I unfortunately don't have a great deal to compare it too, but to my uneducated ears it sounds amazing!

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #55 of 2,727
What 'phones' are you using?

Sep 3, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #56 of 2,727
What 'phones' are you using?

I've been using it with the AKG N5005 mainly, but also have used Audiofly AF180 ans Sony MDR1000Xm2 for bluetooth. So far the AKG's pair incredibly well. The Audiofly are quite bright, but they always have been. The Bluetooth performance is also very good with the Sony's, although I've only really tested it out for 30 mins or so - no prolonged listening.

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #57 of 2,727
I demo'd the SR15 (Norma) at a local distro a few days back. My daily driver is an Onkyo DP-X1. Below are my thoughts on the SR15.

Appearance and finishing: The sharp edges are ok. I dont see the player cutting/inflicting pain on me. It's a really nice little cute DAP and the tilted screen is great. While some people may find the tilt to be dumb, I think its something interesting and unique. And no, the tilt does not make it difficult to navigate even on the left hand.

UI: Pretty fast without much lag. Did not experience any bug. UI is simple and easy to understand. It takes just a min to figure out how to operate the device. The smaller screen did not impede me in navigating around.

Sound: Now this is the most interesting part of the player. I do find that it shares some similarities with the DP-X1 in terms of note weight. The DP-X1 is known to have a light note weight which makes things sound floaty and soft. The SR15 has a similar note weight but with more treble extension (DPX1 lacks the extension). The SR15 has the stage height and depth...but it just lacks the width. Compared to DP-X1, X1 has a very wide stage while SR15 struggles in that aspect. I agree with the head-fier above when it comes to the vocals. They are placed deeper in front but the instruments at the left and right channel are closer to you. Imitates a U-shape.

Last edited:
Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Sep 4, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #58 of 2,727
Brief comparison between sr15 and ak70mkii.
The sr15 is slightly more detailed (just slightly) than the ak70. Also, the sr15 has better both ends control than the ak70. The sr15 has a slightly recessed vocal while the ak70 has a more focus on the mid range.
Output power wise, they are identical. The UI of the sr15 is smoother than the ak70

It's encouraging that the SR15 has less focus on the midrange than the AK70. I tried an AK70 mk II just last week and sent it back as it was too bright and fatiguing (others will be less sensitive to this). I listened with both Sennheiser HD650 and some cheapish Sennheiser IEM's, and compared it side-by-side with a Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone amp, listening mainly to hi-res classical. Couldn't get over that bump in the upper mids.

Disturbingly, earlier in this thread someone described the sound of the SR15 as "crisp" which is a red flag to anyone who finds bright sound fatiguing. I think I'll skip this one.

Sep 4, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #59 of 2,727
It's encouraging that the SR15 has less focus on the midrange than the AK70. I tried an AK70 mk II just last week and sent it back as it was too bright and fatiguing (others will be less sensitive to this). I listened with both Sennheiser HD650 and some cheapish Sennheiser IEM's, and compared it side-by-side with a Geek Pulse DAC/Headphone amp, listening mainly to hi-res classical. Couldn't get over that bump in the upper mids.

Disturbingly, earlier in this thread someone described the sound of the SR15 as "crisp" which is a red flag to anyone who finds bright sound fatiguing. I think I'll skip this one.

I wouldn't get hung up on one persons opinion. I've burned in the SR15 for about 80+ hours now, and I would certainly NOT describe its mids as 'crisp'. Smooth, detailed and musical is how I would describe it.

Sep 4, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #60 of 2,727
I wouldn't get hung up on one persons opinion. I've burned in the SR15 for about 80+ hours now, and I would certainly NOT describe its mids as 'crisp'. Smooth, detailed and musical is how I would describe it.
Fair enough! If someone could confirm this is definitely less bright in the upper mids than the AK70 mkII I would appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back