Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Jul 31, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #256 of 1,568
Nope, it is not strange.

Others have compared briefly to DX200 which is also a lot cheaper.

AK has always has a special tax to it, it is a luxury product both in sound, build and software.

Other products from China mostly care about the sound. And not so much with the software and the build.

I know that an excellent UI/UX designer alone is very expensive to hire, which is why AK is expensive.

So, no it is not weird if we are only talking about the sound quality.

The DX200 is a stand out player for hitting above its price tag, especially with the certain amp modules. I have been listening to the Se100 for about a week now since giving 200 hours of burn in and while i no longer have my DX200/amp4 to directly compare, i would say that SQ-wise the signature is different and i like it a lot. It's stage feels slightly wider and more or less as deep, theres spades of well resolved detailed and it lets the original file shine in a nice analogue-way, with only little bit of welcome colour in terms of extra extension at the top, but It doesn't quite have the dynamism, 3D'ness or weight of the Dx200/amp4' presentation.

Against the WM1A (un-mod'd) the SE100 is a clear winner in UI, SQ and charging/playtime ratio (2 hours charge for 10 hours play Vs 6 or 7 hours for 20+ hours play). To my ears the sony sounds wide, but shallow, detailed but slightly overly precise and digital and lacks any weight or punch in the bass. I had the premium plus K Modification made, which was pretty transformative, instantly shedding the digital glare, adding resolved, deep and punchy bass, the mids thicken up drastically as does the lower treble which reduce the sense of airiness only slightly but to the benefit of the sound as whole. It's K-Mod'd signature couldn't sound more different compared to the SE100 mainly due to the thickness/ body of the presentation all the way through the frequency range, which brings me to its downside, (which i must add is purely personal issue and due to an annoying wear-and-tear induced sensitivity i have around the 6-7K mark particularly in my left ear), that means i struggle with forward upper mids/ lower treble resonating with thick mid bass. This sadly made the K-Mod'd Sony a fatiguing listen for me and not one i could live with. For context the EE Phantom, which to date is the best iem i've heard, was the first to highlight this problem which as i say is specific to the condition of my hearing, and had to go back to EE, because i just couldnt listen to it long term.

As you say the SE100 wins hands down in terms of usability and is the first DAP i've owned that doesnt make my heart sink every time i put down my iphone to pick it up. The UI is so snappy and the tidal interface is quicker than any i've experienced and while it cant compete with the SP1000 on SQ, it definitely feels snappier to use. The SQ is way more than adequate and as i've discovered in brief but hectic journey through DAP ownership, my priorities are contradictory to what i thought they were. I initially believed it was all about the SQ, but for me a DAP, is portable solution to replace iphone/DFred and my listening environments are rarely perfect as i'm using it for travel (which i do a lot of), so as long as the sound is really good, then the UI and battery/charging is as high in my priority list. If this wasnt the case then i'd probably go with the DX200/Amp4 for SQ alone, but i found everything else about it exhausting and irritating. I'm lucky to have a Hugo2 for my home listening, which is head and shoulders above every DAP i've heard so its very much horses for courses and the SE100 is for the moment the best DAP that i've used for High-end portable listening..... For the record it sound stunning in combination as transport with Hugo2 DAC and has quickly become my preferred option for home listening.

Sorry that got a bit out of hand length-wise and these are only my opinions based on coming from a life in 2-channel with less than a year listening to decent IEMs and DAPs, so my frames of reference are much smaller than a lot of you more experienced guys, so please take my comments with suitable amount of sodium chloride :wink:

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #257 of 1,568
I have received my SE100 not two hours ago. I gave it listen for almost an hour. And in all honesty I can say that step up from Mojo is tremendous in the entire spectrum. Once I have done more testing and wrote down some notes I will come back to here. Needles to say I could not be happier.

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #258 of 1,568
I have received my SE100 not two hours ago. I gave it listen for almost an hour. And in all honesty I can say that step up from Mojo is tremendous in the entire spectrum. Once I have done more testing and wrote down some notes I will come back to here. Needles to say I could not be happier.
Have fun, really good stuff worth every penny. And God, its light, my sp1000 got my back pocket £ucked up already
Hey, are they going to make add dap for se100 and sp1000? And if so is it worthy? I gues some prev flagship owners know the answer.

Jul 31, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #259 of 1,568
The DX200 is a stand out player for hitting above its price tag, especially with the certain amp modules. I have been listening to the Se100 for about a week now since giving 200 hours of burn in and while i no longer have my DX200/amp4 to directly compare, i would say that SQ-wise the signature is different and i like it a lot. It's stage feels slightly wider and more or less as deep, theres spades of well resolved detailed and it lets the original file shine in a nice analogue-way, with only little bit of welcome colour in terms of extra extension at the top, but It doesn't quite have the dynamism, 3D'ness or weight of the Dx200/amp4' presentation.

Against the WM1A (un-mod'd) the SE100 is a clear winner in UI, SQ and charging/playtime ratio (2 hours charge for 10 hours play Vs 6 or 7 hours for 20+ hours play). To my ears the sony sounds wide, but shallow, detailed but slightly overly precise and digital and lacks any weight or punch in the bass. I had the premium plus K Modification made, which was pretty transformative, instantly shedding the digital glare, adding resolved, deep and punchy bass, the mids thicken up drastically as does the lower treble which reduce the sense of airiness only slightly but to the benefit of the sound as whole. It's K-Mod'd signature couldn't sound more different compared to the SE100 mainly due to the thickness/ body of the presentation all the way through the frequency range, which brings me to its downside, (which i must add is purely personal issue and due to an annoying wear-and-tear induced sensitivity i have around the 6-7K mark particularly in my left ear), that means i struggle with forward upper mids/ lower treble resonating with thick mid bass. This sadly made the K-Mod'd Sony a fatiguing listen for me and not one i could live with. For context the EE Phantom, which to date is the best iem i've heard, was the first to highlight this problem which as i say is specific to the condition of my hearing, and had to go back to EE, because i just couldnt listen to it long term.

As you say the SE100 wins hands down in terms of usability and is the first DAP i've owned that doesnt make my heart sink every time i put down my iphone to pick it up. The UI is so snappy and the tidal interface is quicker than any i've experienced and while it cant compete with the SP1000 on SQ, it definitely feels snappier to use. The SQ is way more than adequate and as i've discovered in brief but hectic journey through DAP ownership, my priorities are contradictory to what i thought they were. I initially believed it was all about the SQ, but for me a DAP, is portable solution to replace iphone/DFred and my listening environments are rarely perfect as i'm using it for travel (which i do a lot of), so as long as the sound is really good, then the UI and battery/charging is as high in my priority list. If this wasnt the case then i'd probably go with the DX200/Amp4 for SQ alone, but i found everything else about it exhausting and irritating. I'm lucky to have a Hugo2 for my home listening, which is head and shoulders above every DAP i've heard so its very much horses for courses and the SE100 is for the moment the best DAP that i've used for High-end portable listening..... For the record it sound stunning in combination as transport with Hugo2 DAC and has quickly become my preferred option for home listening.

Sorry that got a bit out of hand length-wise and these are only my opinions based on coming from a life in 2-channel with less than a year listening to decent IEMs and DAPs, so my frames of reference are much smaller than a lot of you more experienced guys, so please take my comments with suitable amount of sodium chloride :wink:

I share the opinion, I'm currently using the R6 just because of the UI upgrade compared to my old DAP, slow UI is irritating and is a waste of time.
I also used my DAP as source when driving in my car, while in traffic, low speed etc, it is better to not waste time at all tinkering with mobile device, I still do anyway so to save myself I just buy a quick DAP.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #260 of 1,568
I agree. I came to this conclusion after trying a great many TOTL and 2nd-tier DAPs:

Under $500: R3 - best SQ and functionality of any truly tiny pocketable DAP (beats Cowan, Shanling, etc.)

Under $1000: R6 - best DAP UX if you must have Android, followed by DX200 and Fiio X7mii. SQ up to par with the others but its tuned warm. If you don't need Android then you have some other interesting options in this range.

Under $2000: SE100 - best SQ and UX under $2000. Super high clarity, pairs easily with most IEMs, and has a wicked fast UX.

King of all DAPs: SP1000 - best SQ bar none. I wouldn't even bother with previous A&K TOTL units; if you want excellent clarity and UX but not the crazy high price then go for the SE100 with its fantastic SQ and UX.

Honorable mentions: WM1Z, WM1A, Lotoo PAW Gold, Questyle QP2R -- all great but lack the finesse and UX of the four DAPs above. Of course, this is all my opinion, YMMV.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #261 of 1,568
Finally received my SE100 last evening and I believe my quest for a DAP that suits all my needs is now complete. Love the SQ, UI and weight. UI was a bit different from Kann but I was able to adapt quickly. I would like to thank everyone on this thread for posting their impressions which greatly helped me in making my decision to pull the plug on SE 100.

Jul 31, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #262 of 1,568
Finally received my SE100 last evening and I believe my quest for a DAP that suits all my needs is now complete. Love the SQ, UI and weight. UI was a bit different from Kann but I was able to adapt quickly. I would like to thank everyone on this thread for posting their impressions which greatly helped me in making my decision to pull the plug on SE 100.
Congrats! Enjoy and use in good health. Its a great DAP.

Jul 31, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #264 of 1,568
Jul 31, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #266 of 1,568
Alright here we go with my first impressions.

- The build quality is top notch. However the sharp edges my tear up the pants pocket if used without the case.
- Large display allows easy orientation and can be read in daylight conditions.
- I appreciate USB-C. To charge the player up takes 2 hours plus. I use my MacBook Pro charger.
- What I consider a huge step up from AK70 is a Wi-Fi functionality. With AK70 when router was not in direct line of sight and closer to 4 meter of distance it meant no wifi stream. This does not apply to SE100 not only I am more than 8 m far from router itself, but also on another floor with signal passing throu concrete ceiling. And I can still get a decent signal on SE100. Even with 1 bar of wifi I can still stream DSD 64 from my NAS to SE100. This is awesome. I suppose this is due to a buffer, coz If I get this right I can see the music to be pre-streamet to SE100. This is significant plus. Just Awesome.
- AK connect and access to NAS done in two click, bare 5 seconds setup.
- New style OS is very fast. No hiccups. The response to one touch.
- Tidal works nice
- After fist Wi-fi connection immediately there was OTA update. Approx 380 MB and it all took about 10 mins. to update.

As for the sound only very briefly as thus far I need more time to evaluate:
- this thing has a huge soundstage (like a Yellowstone park )
- The instrument separation is excellent and stage orientation as well.
- I find the player quite neutral, but in a good way. True to original sound. Not at all it would sound boring. The music in its original character is not boring too, is it.
- Poor sound quality just sounds terrible with this thing. And songs that were ok on MOJO are slightly humming here.
- Together with Noble Audio Katana it gives crystal clear sound, full of detail. There are new details in music I have never heard before. This is what I love...
- Accoustic instrument are full bodied, so much heart taking resonance. This player makes me emotional.
- The Bas and lows are very deep
- the highs can harsh in some songs.
- Sibilance is more prominent than with mojo. I listened to life record with Richard Marx. I loved this album with Mojo. But Oh god with SE 100 the sibilance was so harch I could not listen to it without enabled EQ.

More to come later....

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #268 of 1,568
Just got back from A Japanese headshop

Tried Plenue 2 MKII
A&K SP1000
Lotoo titanium

I own a buncha other DAP with WM1A being my fave.

e-earphone...those dudes are awesome. Willing to to refund if my pack was mint with original wrap and screen cover. I got O.C.D so of course it is and they know my channel so all is good.

I am going to keep the SE100 because it is very impressive....GOD DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!
FFfffUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
1234931504682.jpg

No no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whatever....damn.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:16 AM Post #269 of 1,568
If the SP1000 is a 10, how would you rank the SE 100?

well… it depends on subjectiveness share in the mark. if I'll speak subjectively, then SE100 is 8, as I just really like a bit more weighty and less airy signature of SP1000. But without personal preferences engaged, it should be like 9, as SE100 is A&K DAP, so resolution, natural sounding, engagement, etc. is present here.

I'll make a bit more extended comparison video, but in short, SE100 has better price/quality ratio. While SP1000 created to be absolutely best in case when price doesn't matter at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back