Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Jul 26, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #226 of 1,568
this is my first time owning an A&K dap, actually a dap in general. just wanted to know, has anyone experienced any bugs on it? overheating? is this normal? just now I tried to add a song to a playlist and it got stuck on the please wait bar. it was already hot before this happened (just from normal use), I wonder if that affected it.

if this is normal, then nvm

thanks guy :))
I’ve not heard of this one before. Are you using an SD card? If so, remove it and try again - might be a problem with the card.

If it’s not the card and it’s still running hot and not working, you’ll probably want to look into a return/repair.

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #227 of 1,568
I’ve not heard of this one before. Are you using an SD card? If so, remove it and try again - might be a problem with the card.

If it’s not the card and it’s still running hot and not working, you’ll probably want to look into a return/repair.

You're right, I am using an SD card. Tonight I'll transfer all my music from this SD card to another one I have, and then I'll see what happens then.

thanks!

Jul 27, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #228 of 1,568
I'm a newbie to high end audiophile gear and I'm considering purchasing the SE100 as my first DAP. I also need to upgrade to a pair of good monitors to go along with it. I'm currently using a pair of Sony 100XM2 wireless headphones, which are ok, but I really want to take advantage of the HD quality of the SE100. What little I know about quality monitors is that impedance can make driving those monitors a challenge without an external amplifier. What I'd like to know is what is the limit of the SE100. That is, will it drive something like the new Sennheiser 820 with an impedance of 300 ohms?

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #229 of 1,568
I'm a newbie to high end audiophile gear and I'm considering purchasing the SE100 as my first DAP. I also need to upgrade to a pair of good monitors to go along with it. I'm currently using a pair of Sony 100XM2 wireless headphones, which are ok, but I really want to take advantage of the HD quality of the SE100. What little I know about quality monitors is that impedance can make driving those monitors a challenge without an external amplifier. What I'd like to know is what is the limit of the SE100. That is, will it drive something like the new Sennheiser 820 with an impedance of 300 ohms?

Personally, wouldn’t think Senns be best match. Had HD800s, and they wouldn’t match well with a neutral more analytical DAP, except for light or classical music? What do you listen to?

I found Mr Speakers Ether the ideal all rounder for this DAP. Imagine Aeon also be good with touch more warmth for those that like that flavour.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #230 of 1,568
Received my SE100 from AMP3 and had time for a few basic tests. My first A&K and it plays fine from internal memory, card, NAS drive and Tidal. Surprised by its sharp angles and weight, but overall it feels quality like my Questyle DAP.

Not bought as a transport for my Hugo II but just thought I would try using Optical 3.5 output as that review above quoted in specs. There is no digital optical output! It is actually USB C out to a DAC, that works with a cable I ordered some months ago just in case I ever bought a DAP needing USB C!

First impressions is of an analytical sound which pairs better with my Sennheiser ie800S and Shure 846 than the forthright Noble Katana. That’s fine by me, I’d rather have an uncoloured truthful DAP without any softness, upper bass boost, or warmth like some so-called ‘musical’ DAPs, and then tailor the sound to liking by iems or phones.

Using ie800S with it’s included balanced cable, some very nice deep bass oomph on Bebe Rexha’s new album ‘Expectations’ with a wide and deep soundstage. Liking so far!

Can you pls elaborate on pairing with Noble Katana?

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #231 of 1,568
Personally, wouldn’t think Senns be best match. Had HD800s, and they wouldn’t match well with a neutral more analytical DAP, except for light or classical music? What do you listen to?

I found Mr Speakers Ether the ideal all rounder for this DAP. Imagine Aeon also be good with touch more warmth for those that like that flavour.

Thanks for the reply. I listen mostly to progressive rock, jazz, blues, general rock. A mix of things. Not much in the realm of classical.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #232 of 1,568
Thanks for the reply. I listen mostly to progressive rock, jazz, blues, general rock. A mix of things. Not much in the realm of classical.
Yep, recently I’m back into Yes, Rush, Free, Floyd, Volbeat!

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #233 of 1,568
Can you pls elaborate on pairing with Noble Katana?

Little bit thin sounding to me. I hate warm sounds, but two components with similar sound not always best match.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #234 of 1,568
Little bit thin sounding to me. I hate warm sounds, but two components with similar sound not always best match.

Thx Andrew, I currently run Katanas with Mojo Poly combo and I really like the sound signature. Previously I had AK 70, which sounded blunt and unresolving to me. I was thinking stepping up the game and buying SE100 but I guess I need to go to store to listen to it first.

Jul 27, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #235 of 1,568
Thx Andrew, I currently run Katanas with Mojo Poly combo and I really like the sound signature. Previously I had AK 70, which sounded blunt and unresolving to me. I was thinking stepping up the game and buying SE100 but I guess I need to go to store to listen to it first.

Off topic, but I was going to sell Katana’s. Then I picked up a limited edition iBasso DX200Ti and they sound amazing! Sure they would too with standard DX200 and Amp 4,7 or 8. Also pair good with with Mojo as you say, but Mojo is filtered to roll off.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #236 of 1,568
Off topic, but I was going to sell Katana’s. Then I picked up a limited edition iBasso DX200Ti and they sound amazing! Sure they would too with standard DX200 and Amp 4,7 or 8. Also pair good with with Mojo as you say, but Mojo is filtered to roll off.

Thx, forgot to add I have Katanas with Lionheart cable. I love it so much more over the stock. Anyhow I will try to find a spare time on go to listen to SE100.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #237 of 1,568
Thx, forgot to add I have Katanas with Lionheart cable. I love it so much more over the stock. Anyhow I will try to find a spare time on go to listen to SE100.

I love AK Connect which allows me to integrate into hifi and control via phone /tablet.

Jul 27, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #239 of 1,568
Awesome. So, you recommend the MrSpeaker Ether Flow? The open version I imagine. Is that because they have a slightly v-shaped tonal response?

I heard the range at a local Head-Fi meet. Liked them all but got a good deal on Closed non-Ether (show model at end of day) that I preferred slightly to Ether. But Open Ether was superb. Can tune with felt pads in cups themselves!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back