Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Aug 3, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #286 of 1,568
Can anyone tell me the value in dB of the adjustment range on the EQ?
I will do a review. I will mention the EQ of course and would like to know what the range is in dB
I had the option to return and chose to keep so i like it but some basic info would be cool

What is the range of the EQ?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Aug 3, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #287 of 1,568
Can anyone tell me the value in dB of the adjustment range on the EQ?
I will do a review. I will mention the EQ of course and would like to know what the range is in dB
I had the option to return and chose to keep so i like it but some basic info would be cool

What is the range of the EQ?
Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

±5.0dB

Quoted from the official website of Japan
20Band:30Hz~18KHz/Gain:±5.0/Q値:0.1~4.0
https://www.iriver.jp/products/product_169.php#2

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #288 of 1,568
The new A&futura, SE100 M.Chat
obj_1m_lg.png
Astell&Kern X M.Chat

M.Chat (also known as Monsieur Chat and Mr Chat) is the name of a graffiti cat that originally appeared in Orléans, France in 1997.
It is a kind of graffiti art. The artist was originally anonymous, but in 2007 Thoma Vuille was caught in the act of creating the cat.

The graffiti appeared most frequently on chimneys, but was also sighted in other places, such as train platforms and at political rallies.
This graffiti cat began in France and it spread to Europe, USA, Vietnam, Korea as graffiti art.

https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/con...scg=CG231960&spos=1&tcg=&tpos=0&gcode=SC32530

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #289 of 1,568
±5.0dB

Quoted from the official website of Japan
20Band:30Hz~18KHz/Gain:±5.0/Q値:0.1~4.0
https://www.iriver.jp/products/product_169.php#2

First and foremost, Thanks :)

Typical EQ are +/- 6dB for an effective range of 12dB
That means the passive SE100 is an effective range of 10dB
So, If I floor the entire EQ I am giving myself the headroom to EQ any freq by that much. Or drop it all to -3 and allow a -2 at 330 and +4/+6 at 60hz which is all the ex1000 need

I will try that.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #291 of 1,568
If I floor the entire EQ I am giving myself the headroom to EQ any freq by that much. Or drop it all to -3 and allow a -2 at 330 and +4/+6 at 60hz which is all the ex1000 need
I wouldn't do that. But if it sounds good to you, then it is good.

But reducing all the frequency bands by the same amount is not the same as starting with a flat EQ.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #292 of 1,568
I wouldn't do that. But if it sounds good to you, then it is good.

But reducing all the frequency bands by the same amount is not the same as starting with a flat EQ.

Yeah, I know :wink:

I have been with my trusty ex1000 for years and they need +4dB at around 60Hz or 55 if possible and my mids still come clean. Using the SE100 that is not working. In fact it makes no difference. Adding to the problem is an apparent micro adjust that is in 1/10th adjust steps in addition to/within the 1-5dB. Across all the many DAP I have used this is the first to not give my favorite set the one adjust it needs to play my whole library

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #293 of 1,568
Yeah, I know :wink:

I have been with my trusty ex1000 for years and they need +4dB at around 60Hz or 55 if possible and my mids still come clean. Using the SE100 that is not working. In fact it makes no difference. Adding to the problem is an apparent micro adjust that is in 1/10th adjust steps in addition to/within the 1-5dB. Across all the many DAP I have used this is the first to not give my favorite set the one adjust it needs to play my whole library

There are some points to be aware in EQ function.
The gain of preset NORMAL EQ is ±0, but the volume becomes -5dB from the volume when EQ is off.
Also, the support format for EQ is below.

Quoted: 40 pages in user guide
Supported Formats for EQ: PCM [8 ~ 192kHz(8/16/24bit)]
https://www.astellnkern.com/eng/inc/down.asp?it=D00&key=1000087&pos=1
https://us.astellnkern.com/products/a-futura-se100

EQ is not applied to PCM32bit, PCM over 192kHz and DSD format.
Therefore, if you use user EQ that the gain of all bands are set to the minimum(-5dB), when those files are playback, as the volume increases 10dB, you need to be careful.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #294 of 1,568
I pulled the trigger on the AK se100 for my 64 A18t. Pinky made me do it. He's right - this does bear a striking similarity to Opus #2.

Initial impressions are very positive - better than I expected. I reserve the right to change these if/when I ultimately discover something annoying about the sound signature.

If my impression remains - this may be my favorite all around DAP. I love the sound quality of the DX200 amp 4, but honestly, using that thing makes me want to throw it out of the window half the time. Over the course of the past year they've released a number of firmware updates which improve speed - but honestly - I just can't deal with the pops and clicks with tidal and the native app. Worried I'm going to damage my headphones or my hearing.

As mentioned, previously - I am not a fan of the AK SP1000. I had it for nearly a month and with the A18s specifically, I found it too dry. Se100 is not like that. But it retains the great interface and is lighter (almost exact same weight and size as the DX200).

All I wanted was a DAP that sounds good, has sufficient storage, decent battery life, and has a UI superior to Windows 98. This checks all of those boxes.

Aug 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #295 of 1,568
I pulled the trigger on the AK se100 for my 64 A18t. Pinky made me do it. He's right - this does bear a striking similarity to Opus #2.

Initial impressions are very positive - better than I expected. I reserve the right to change these if/when I ultimately discover something annoying about the sound signature.

If my impression remains - this may be my favorite all around DAP. I love the sound quality of the DX200 amp 4, but honestly, using that thing makes me want to throw it out of the window half the time. Over the course of the past year they've released a number of firmware updates which improve speed - but honestly - I just can't deal with the pops and clicks with tidal and the native app. Worried I'm going to damage my headphones or my hearing.

As mentioned, previously - I am not a fan of the AK SP1000. I had it for nearly a month and with the A18s specifically, I found it too dry. Se100 is not like that. But it retains the great interface and is lighter (almost exact same weight and size as the DX200).

All I wanted was a DAP that sounds good, has sufficient storage, decent battery life, and has a UI superior to Windows 98. This checks all of those boxes.

Also think I've settled on EA Ares II with this setup (unbalanced). I have a balanced EA Ares II and I think I prefer the unbalanced - but haven't compared back and forth enough. Also like this with the Han Sound Audio Zen. Takes just a smidge off the top and adds it to the bottom vs the Ares.

@PinkyPowers what cables have you tried with the SE100, especially in combination with your Tia Fourte?

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #296 of 1,568

Do you think the SE100 is a good upgrade to the Opus #2?

I'm thinking about making the switch.

I too had the same issue with the DX200 (clicking and background hiss) and had enough of it. Interface was also way too slow when using UAPP and Tidal.

Aug 3, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #297 of 1,568
Also think I've settled on EA Ares II with this setup (unbalanced). I have a balanced EA Ares II and I think I prefer the unbalanced - but haven't compared back and forth enough. Also like this with the Han Sound Audio Zen. Takes just a smidge off the top and adds it to the bottom vs the Ares.

@PinkyPowers what cables have you tried with the SE100, especially in combination with your Tia Fourte?

Ares II is a wonderful cable. Determining a "better" pairing rests entirely on you figuring out what changes you wish to achieve.

However, if you kind of just want more of everything (more bass, more extended treble, bigger soundstage, higher clarity, etc...) The Effect Audio Thor Silver II Bespoke 8-Wire is a lordly beast indeed.

Aug 3, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #298 of 1,568
Do you think the SE100 is a good upgrade to the Opus #2?

I'm thinking about making the switch.

I too had the same issue with the DX200 (clicking and background hiss) and had enough of it. Interface was also way too slow when using UAPP and Tidal.

I had the Opus #2 months ago - so can't compare it directly. As Pinky mentioned, the tonality is quite similar. The SE100 seems to have some of the same soundstage magic the SP1000 has - but with a more Opus #2 signature. That said, again, haven't heard the Opus #2 in quite a while.

In terms of other features, the UI of the Opus #2 is significantly better IMO to the DX200, and the UI of the SE100/SP1000 is significantly better than the Opus #2. My main issue with the Opus #2 was the Tidal integration, as it was clunky and there was no real way to quit. There were some times when I was playing a local song and it played Tidal instead. That said, I haven't had it in quite a while - so not sure if this has been fixed with Firmware updates.

AK DAPS have always been really polished overall. The new interface I think takes that polish to the level of modern smartphones. IMO, I don't think any other DAPS I've tried are their yet - though IMO the Sony's are the closest. From a sound quality standpoint I think Opus #2 to AKSE100 is a sidegrade. For all other elements, I think its an upgrade.

Ares II is a wonderful cable. Determining a "better" pairing rests entirely on you figuring out what changes you wish to achieve.

However, if you kind of just want more of everything (more bass, more extended treble, bigger soundstage, higher clarity, etc...) The Effect Audio Thor Silver II Bespoke 8-Wire is a lordly beast indeed.

Thanks for the recco Pinky, you're right of course on the pairing front - was just curious as to what you settled on as you probably have access to more than I do - and from reading your reviews, we seem to have similar taste. I heard the 4 wire Thor at Can Jam but just with an LG V30 and my A18s. Would be interested to try the 8 wire with this pairing. I need to listen more to get a better idea of how it could potentially be improved; I have a couple of copper cables (Zen as mentioned, and PW #5, - in addition to an EA Eros - and always find myself going back to the Ares.

Thanks all!

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #299 of 1,568
Well - my device just apparently bricked itself. Just connected to home wifi, tried to update firmware OTA, and it's stuck in a perpetual bootloop.

What a bummer. Anyone experience this or know how to enter recovery mode?

The one thing I didn't expect from AK is a bricked device the first day I used it. I might just return it and use a phone.

Aug 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #300 of 1,568
Well - my device just apparently bricked itself. Just connected to home wifi, tried to update firmware OTA, and it's stuck in a perpetual bootloop.

What a bummer. Anyone experience this or know how to enter recovery mode?

The one thing I didn't expect from AK is a bricked device the first day I used it. I might just return it and use a phone.

Whenever an Android device locks up (and so far all of them have at one point or another) I do a hard reboot. Just hold down power, and either track up, or track down, (can never remember which one it is) for something like 15 seconds, until the device reboots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back