Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Aug 3, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #301 of 1,568
Whenever an Android device locks up (and so far all of them have at one point or another) I do a hard reboot. Just hold down power, and either track up, or track down, (can never remember which one it is) for something like 15 seconds, until the device reboots.

Thanks Pinky

Hard Reset didn't work, HOWEVER, I finally figured out how to enter recovery mode - wiped the device - and that did the trick.

I looked everywhere for SP1000 as well as SE100 and found one guy who got into recovery mode - but didn't explain how.

Hopefully this helps someone who runs into the same issue:

How to enter recovery mode and wipe on Astell & Kern SE 100 (may be the same key combo on SP1000 and SR15):

Start with Power Off. Hard Reset if necessary.
Hold Track up, Track Down and Power keys - this will get you into recovery
Select WIPE Device using Track Up and Track Down as Arrow Keys and Power Key as Enter
Select Reboot and Power key to enter

This will take you back to the main set up. Device is wiped but new firmware is loaded successfully.

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #302 of 1,568
Thanks Pinky

Hard Reset didn't work, HOWEVER, I finally figured out how to enter recovery mode - wiped the device - and that did the trick.

I looked everywhere for SP1000 as well as SE100 and found one guy who got into recovery mode - but didn't explain how.

Hopefully this helps someone who runs into the same issue:

How to enter recovery mode and wipe on Astell & Kern SE 100 (may be the same key combo on SP1000 and SR15):

Start with Power Off. Hard Reset if necessary.
Hold Track up, Track Down and Power keys - this will get you into recovery
Select WIPE Device using Track Up and Track Down as Arrow Keys and Power Key as Enter
Select Reboot and Power key to enter

This will take you back to the main set up. Device is wiped but new firmware is loaded successfully.

Great information to have! Thanks man.

Aug 4, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #303 of 1,568
After a good 48 hours of listening on and off - this DAP is a keeper and my new favorite.

This (hopefully) ends my long search for a DAP to for my 64 Audio A18 I purchased about a year ago.

I think most would agree that the AK interface and Tidal integration is top notch. While Tidal offline isn't crucial for me, I know it is for some - and I've read AK is updating firmware eventually to include this. Outside of the boot loop I had - and the premature temper tantrum - I have always loved the interface of AK devices.

From a sound signature perspective, coming from the DX200 Amp 4, I initially felt the SE100 was slightly bass shy. After further listening - and comparisons back and forth - I felt like the DX200 Amp 4s mid bass was muddying up the mids slightly - and I came away preferring the sound signature of the SE100. While we often ask what neutral actually is, the SE100 strikes me as incredibly well balanced throughout the frequency spectrum. I think the treble stands out vs. other DAPs not because it's too much, but because the extension does justice to the 64 A18 and it's Tia drives. The mids are spot on, and I am noticing more texture and detail in the bass - which I didn't really think Balanced Armatures could do. The bass quality approached some of my full size headphones.

I have been through many a DAP in the past year, and hear is my order of preference and why. Please note, I am not considering price at all in the equation - this is purely my subjective opinion with the 64 Audio A18t.

I have owned each of these DAPs for at least 30 days, and have either sold, returned or kept. Currently I have the SE100, AK240 and DX200. I may put the DX200 amp 4 for sale - but may keep as a portable for full size headphones as it handles them the best of any DAP I've tried - and the Pops and Clicks detailed below are less of an issue due to higher impedance and lower sensitivity.

This ranking, however, specifically considers pairing with the 64 Audio A18t. You may have a different opinion with your IEMs, or you may have a different opinion with the A18. Opinions are entirely subjective. That said, I believe the A18 is quite neutral so is a good reference to test DAPs, and comments not applicable to sound signature are more universal.

1. AK SE100
+ Checks all the boxes. UI is great, storage is good, and battery life is very good. Tidal integration is super smooth. Sound signature matches perfectly with my tonal preferences and the A18.
- Wish AK added more internal storage outside of their flagships, but I guess they need a way to differentiate. I don't need a full android interface, but would like to easily listen to podcasts on a DAP - so I could use one device for everything.

2. AK 240
+ Sound signature is very musical with A18 and still holds up quite well today, but I think the SE100 is superior. While the interface isn't quite as good as AK's new version - AK's old interface is still better than most other DAPs. As it was an AK flagship - love the 256 GB of internal storage. Battery life's is good, and it's probably got the best form factor of any DAP given it's size and storage.
- While the Tidal integration is smooth from a UI standpoint, I get odd background noises from Wifi.

3. Opus #2
+ Sound signature is very good, might be slightly bright with my A18t - but I enjoy it alot. Interface is generally smooth and bug free. Battery life is good and storage is good as well.
- Tidal Integration (at least when I had it) was kind of clunky, as you couldn't quit Tidal unless you restarted the player. All in all a very strong DAP.

4. DX200 Amp 4
+ I go back and forth between SE100 in terms of the sound signature I prefer most. Regardless, the DX200 in general has excellent sound - and can be tweaked extensively given all the Amps included. It has a full android experience, and Lurker's firmware let's you get the most out of the device. Plays really well with power hungry full size headphones. Best portable sound for my Audeze Sine.
- UI is the poorest of any DAP I've used. While it's sped up somewhat in recent firmware updates, look, feel and speed are sub par. Battery life, especially with high-powered Amps is low. Internal storage is only 64gb and lags when playing high sample rates and DSD. POPPING and CLICKING drive me absolutely insane and constantly make me concerned I will damage my headphones or my hearing; this is especially evident with high sensitivity low impedance headphones like the 64 Audio A18. In the native app things got better for a while, but in the most recent firmware they are worse. While it's cool to have tidal and offline, as well as podcast apps (or music player of choice) - I get loud pops and clicks when starting and stopping tracks, every time, in any 3rd part apps.

Amp 4 is a great amp, but all the 4.4 mm I've tried require spacers to work with the jack. This is an easy fix but a bit clunky.

All in all, DX200, from a sound quality perspective, punches well above it's weight - but I wish IBasso would work on software a bit more. User Interface / Experience is my least favorite of any DAP I've tried.

5. Sony WM1A
+ Sound signature is good, but not exceptional IMO. Batttery life is outstanding, and interface is second only to AK's new interface in performance (and beats AK's old interface IMO). Storage is good.
- No wireless of any kind is a bit of a miss to me. I know Sony claims that this is to focus on sound quality, but there are plenty of other DAPs, IMO, with superior sound quality - which get streaming right. 4.4 MM input works perfectly, unlike DX200 - however it's a pain to have to use an adapter or get a 4.4 MM cable to get the most out of this thing (and it's the only way to get DSD).

6. AK SP1000
+ Similar to SE100 great interface, battery life, great storage capacity - and flawless tidal integration (unless you want offline).
- I just don't like the sound signature on this one. It sounds overly dry and is boring too me. Caveats apply: This is my opinion with one CIEM with multiple cables and other attempted sound tweaks over the course of 30 days (was returned). Soundstage is good, but tonality sounds off. Very big and very heavy for portable use.

7. Sony WM1Z
+ Sound signature is good as well, but my preferences lean toward the WM1A. All other positives with the WM1A stand.
- Same negatives as WM1A. Additionally, it's a freaking brick that is heavy as hell and hard to carry around for portable use.

8. Fiio X7ii
+ Sound signature is ok, but only superior to SP1000 in my estimation. Perhaps slightly bass shy, and doesn't do a lot wrong, just mediocre IMO. Full Android experience similar to DX200 and is able to handle 3rd party apps better than DX200. Interchangeable amp modules to tweak sound.
- Still some clicks here and there, but much lower in volume and liveable.

Aug 4, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #304 of 1,568
I've been crazy impressed by the battery life of the SE100. Lasts longer than all other DAPs I've tested so far.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #305 of 1,568
After a good 48 hours of listening on and off - this DAP is a keeper and my new favorite.

This (hopefully) ends my long search for a DAP to for my 64 Audio A18 I purchased about a year ago.

I think most would agree that the AK interface and Tidal integration is top notch. While Tidal offline isn't crucial for me, I know it is for some - and I've read AK is updating firmware eventually to include this. Outside of the boot loop I had - and the premature temper tantrum - I have always loved the interface of AK devices.

From a sound signature perspective, coming from the DX200 Amp 4, I initially felt the SE100 was slightly bass shy. After further listening - and comparisons back and forth - I felt like the DX200 Amp 4s mid bass was muddying up the mids slightly - and I came away preferring the sound signature of the SE100. While we often ask what neutral actually is, the SE100 strikes me as incredibly well balanced throughout the frequency spectrum. I think the treble stands out vs. other DAPs not because it's too much, but because the extension does justice to the 64 A18 and it's Tia drives. The mids are spot on, and I am noticing more texture and detail in the bass - which I didn't really think Balanced Armatures could do. The bass quality approached some of my full size headphones.

I have been through many a DAP in the past year, and hear is my order of preference and why. Please note, I am not considering price at all in the equation - this is purely my subjective opinion with the 64 Audio A18t.

I have owned each of these DAPs for at least 30 days, and have either sold, returned or kept. Currently I have the SE100, AK240 and DX200. I may put the DX200 amp 4 for sale - but may keep as a portable for full size headphones as it handles them the best of any DAP I've tried - and the Pops and Clicks detailed below are less of an issue due to higher impedance and lower sensitivity.

This ranking, however, specifically considers pairing with the 64 Audio A18t. You may have a different opinion with your IEMs, or you may have a different opinion with the A18. Opinions are entirely subjective. That said, I believe the A18 is quite neutral so is a good reference to test DAPs, and comments not applicable to sound signature are more universal.

1. AK SE100
+ Checks all the boxes. UI is great, storage is good, and battery life is very good. Tidal integration is super smooth. Sound signature matches perfectly with my tonal preferences and the A18.
- Wish AK added more internal storage outside of their flagships, but I guess they need a way to differentiate. I don't need a full android interface, but would like to easily listen to podcasts on a DAP - so I could use one device for everything.

2. AK 240
+ Sound signature is very musical with A18 and still holds up quite well today, but I think the SE100 is superior. While the interface isn't quite as good as AK's new version - AK's old interface is still better than most other DAPs. As it was an AK flagship - love the 256 GB of internal storage. Battery life's is good, and it's probably got the best form factor of any DAP given it's size and storage.
- While the Tidal integration is smooth from a UI standpoint, I get odd background noises from Wifi.

3. Opus #2
+ Sound signature is very good, might be slightly bright with my A18t - but I enjoy it alot. Interface is generally smooth and bug free. Battery life is good and storage is good as well.
- Tidal Integration (at least when I had it) was kind of clunky, as you couldn't quit Tidal unless you restarted the player. All in all a very strong DAP.

4. DX200 Amp 4
+ I go back and forth between SE100 in terms of the sound signature I prefer most. Regardless, the DX200 in general has excellent sound - and can be tweaked extensively given all the Amps included. It has a full android experience, and Lurker's firmware let's you get the most out of the device. Plays really well with power hungry full size headphones. Best portable sound for my Audeze Sine.
- UI is the poorest of any DAP I've used. While it's sped up somewhat in recent firmware updates, look, feel and speed are sub par. Battery life, especially with high-powered Amps is low. Internal storage is only 64gb and lags when playing high sample rates and DSD. POPPING and CLICKING drive me absolutely insane and constantly make me concerned I will damage my headphones or my hearing; this is especially evident with high sensitivity low impedance headphones like the 64 Audio A18. In the native app things got better for a while, but in the most recent firmware they are worse. While it's cool to have tidal and offline, as well as podcast apps (or music player of choice) - I get loud pops and clicks when starting and stopping tracks, every time, in any 3rd part apps.

Amp 4 is a great amp, but all the 4.4 mm I've tried require spacers to work with the jack. This is an easy fix but a bit clunky.

All in all, DX200, from a sound quality perspective, punches well above it's weight - but I wish IBasso would work on software a bit more. User Interface / Experience is my least favorite of any DAP I've tried.

5. Sony WM1A
+ Sound signature is good, but not exceptional IMO. Batttery life is outstanding, and interface is second only to AK's new interface in performance (and beats AK's old interface IMO). Storage is good.
- No wireless of any kind is a bit of a miss to me. I know Sony claims that this is to focus on sound quality, but there are plenty of other DAPs, IMO, with superior sound quality - which get streaming right. 4.4 MM input works perfectly, unlike DX200 - however it's a pain to have to use an adapter or get a 4.4 MM cable to get the most out of this thing (and it's the only way to get DSD).

6. AK SP1000
+ Similar to SE100 great interface, battery life, great storage capacity - and flawless tidal integration (unless you want offline).
- I just don't like the sound signature on this one. It sounds overly dry and is boring too me. Caveats apply: This is my opinion with one CIEM with multiple cables and other attempted sound tweaks over the course of 30 days (was returned). Soundstage is good, but tonality sounds off. Very big and very heavy for portable use.

7. Sony WM1Z
+ Sound signature is good as well, but my preferences lean toward the WM1A. All other positives with the WM1A stand.
- Same negatives as WM1A. Additionally, it's a freaking brick that is heavy as hell and hard to carry around for portable use.

8. Fiio X7ii
+ Sound signature is ok, but only superior to SP1000 in my estimation. Perhaps slightly bass shy, and doesn't do a lot wrong, just mediocre IMO. Full Android experience similar to DX200 and is able to handle 3rd party apps better than DX200. Interchangeable amp modules to tweak sound.

Nice post.

Using EX1000 I'd rank those:

On sound using PINK FLOYD - "Us and Them"

1. WM1Z ( never would buy because gold is pimps and pawn shop owners)

2. SE100 ( staff is clueless and flagship and this were compared as superior to 380..not very ..well anyway...save for my video)

3. WM1A ( King of neutral and ideal ref dap for testing gear)

4. Calyx-M ( RICH ,THICK and gobs of detail. Uses sabre dac. Sabre glare?? LOL shows the influence of power stages/amps)

5. SP1000 ( Most folks with eyes covered could not tell this from SE100.. Diminished returns meets placebo effect in the middle of the field)

6. DX150 ( Shows the influence of the amp stages as comparisons with flagship become very vague, opaque, cloudy when having to specify which amp is in the mix)

7. X7MKII ( Sounds great but not much to look at in hand or on poor screen)

8. OPUS #1 Aluminum chassis ( True flagship of confused company)

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #306 of 1,568
There were people that stated that could not find diferences between the Sony 1A and 1Z , for me the diferences were obvious , of course tastes are tastes, some would like more of 1A others 1Z ,but the diference exist, i never heard the se100 but this thing that people don't ear the diference face to sp1000 eyes covered looks more of the same...some people don't ear well

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #307 of 1,568

1. AK SE100

2. AK 240

3. Opus #2

4. DX200 Amp 4

5. Sony WM1A

6. AK SP1000

7. Sony WM1Z

8. Fiio X7ii

thank you :) great write up generally and one i found specifically interesting as i'm using A18t's and also the DAP i keep coming back to through gritted teeth is the DX200/amp4. I've had my SE100 for a few weeks in tandem with 1960s 2 wire cable/ A18ts and quite a bit of listening via my Hugo2, which for the record is now my home listening transport/DAC combo of choice, they sound sublime together and better than my music server with H2. I agree with everyone else its UI and fast battery charge/life are the best ive experienced in any DAP.

So purely for the benefit of adding to the discussion and in no where near as useful detail, my personal order of preference, based only on portable set ups i've owned (all listened to via balanced out except Iphone/dac with variety of cables inc: Atlas Zeno, PW 1960s & AE Leonidas,), SQ priorities: realistically excitement /musicality/ deep/wide stage detail/ resolution and layering are:

1 - DX200/Amp4
2 - SE100
3- WM1Z
4- WM1A with premium + K'Mod
5- DX200 Amp1
6- Iphone X/ Dragon Fly Red
7- WM1A

The SE100 however, for me wins as the all round best portable solution for hi-res listening with A18s that ive owned.. for today at least :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #308 of 1,568
thank you :) great write up generally and one i found specifically interesting as i'm using A18t's and also the DAP i keep coming back to through gritted teeth is the DX200/amp4. I've had my SE100 for a few weeks in tandem with 1960s 2 wire cable/ A18ts and quite a bit of listening via my Hugo2, which for the record is now my home listening transport/DAC combo of choice, they sound sublime together and better than my music server with H2. I agree with everyone else its UI and fast battery charge/life are the best ive experienced in any DAP.

So purely for the benefit of adding to the discussion and in no where near as useful detail, my personal order of preference, based only on portable set ups i've owned (all listened to via balanced out except Iphone/dac with variety of cables inc: Atlas Zeno, PW 1960s & AE Leonidas,), SQ priorities: realistically excitement /musicality/ deep/wide stage detail/ resolution and layering are:

1 - DX200/Amp4
2 - SE100
3- WM1Z
5- DX200 Amp1
7- WM1A

The SE100 however, for me wins as the all round best portable solution for hi-res listening with A18s that ive owned.. for today at least :wink:

How would you compare the Hugo to the daps?

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #309 of 1,568

1 - DX200/Amp4
2 - SE100
3- WM1Z
5- DX200 Amp1
7- WM1A

Thanks for sharing your preferences as well.

From a sound quality perspective, I think what makes the SE100 special is the treble. It's the most extended and detailed I've heard without being harsh (in combo with Ares II).

I like DX200 Amp 1 as well, as I feel like it provides a similar signature to the SE100, but is slightly brighter - which results in a bit of stridency at times, IMO.

While I haven't tried the Hugo2 I can imagine it's great from what I've read, and my experience with the original Hugo and Chord2qute. Just can't justify an additional device of that cost for my IEMs, as I typically listen to full size at home (and I picked up a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless - which are fantastic speakers for the money - which I've been listening to a lot to lately.)

Still I'd like to demo the Hugo2 with the A18 as I've heard such good things.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #310 of 1,568
Thanks for sharing your preferences as well.

From a sound quality perspective, I think what makes the SE100 special is the treble. It's the most extended and detailed I've heard without being harsh (in combo with Ares II).

I like DX200 Amp 1 as well, as I feel like it provides a similar signature to the SE100, but is slightly brighter - which results in a bit of stridency at times, IMO.

While I haven't tried the Hugo2 I can imagine it's great from what I've read, and my experience with the original Hugo and Chord2qute. Just can't justify an additional device of that cost for my IEMs, as I typically listen to full size at home (and I picked up a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless - which are fantastic speakers for the money - which I've been listening to a lot to lately.)

Still I'd like to demo the Hugo2 with the A18 as I've heard such good things.

LS50's are Lovely speakers and until my 2 kids arrived in far to quick succession and decimated my listening room, i also mainly listened to music aloud and bought the H2 as my for my home set up in which it was a game changer SQ-wise following an already exception H1. It's shaming to admit now, that it didnt even cross my mind to even plug a pair of headphones in to the Hugo until i bought my first IEMs last December. Owning an H2 or any high end DAC if you're into portable listening, is a bit of mixed blessing because they set a standard that impossible for any DAP to be measured against, due to the current limitations of their form. This doesnt stop me enjoying them, but it does make it very hard to reach a point of satisfaction where i can stop looking/ hoping for something better to come along! :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #311 of 1,568
How would you compare the Hugo to the daps?

Obviously they’re all different, but in general and mainly with reference to those in my list + sp1000 which ive listened too quite a bit, the authority and weight of the presentation is instantly noticeable when you switch back to it. Everything I’ve heard even the sp1000 sound thin compared. The resolution, separation are yards ahead which allows you to hear more detail, when I doubt it actually is more detailed than other totl daps. The soundstage is more realistic to my ears, a perfect balance between width and depth. The bass is the biggest because it’s neutral and plays what there, the mids and treble again neural, have a beautiful liquidity that’s just plain addictive in both 2 channel and with iems.

There are some caveats, I’ve listened to it in lots of 2 channel set ups but in terms headphones I’ve only heard it with a handful of iems and no headphones: andromedas, encores, earsonic sem9, Ee phantoms, Westone es80 and a18s. It’s the best listen I’ve had with all of these. The other caveat is like any dac it’s source dependent, you put crap in then you get slightly polished, but still crap out. As i mentioned in my previous post it pairs beautifully with the se100, probably the best dap paring I’ve heard with it. It takes the detailed neutral sound and gives injection of weight/ authority which reveals more detail, ads missing layering to the bass and brings a trade mark silliness to the mids into the treble. I know I sound like a chord
Fanboy, but I did listen to half a dozen dacs before buying it and just couldnt find another that came close up to my top budget of £4K gbp, so at £1800 it is expensive but nonetheless good value. The measure of it is I’ve had it nearly a year and haven’t had the slightest urge to even listen, let alone want to buy anything else. But I’ve rattled through 4 or 5 daps in the same time and come close to giving up on the search. Famous last words, but I might stick with the se100 for while :wink:

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #312 of 1,568
Obviously they’re all different, but in general and mainly with reference to those in my list + sp1000 which ive listened too quite a bit, the authority and weight of the presentation is instantly noticeable when you switch back to it. Everything I’ve heard even the sp1000 sound thin compared. The resolution, separation are yards ahead which allows you to hear more detail, when I doubt it actually is more detailed than other totl daps. The soundstage is more realistic to my ears, a perfect balance between width and depth. The bass is the biggest because it’s neutral and plays what there, the mids and treble again neural, have a beautiful liquidity that’s just plain addictive in both 2 channel and with iems.

There are some caveats, I’ve listened to it in lots of 2 channel set ups but in terms headphones I’ve only heard it with a handful of iems and no headphones: andromedas, encores, earsonic sem9, Ee phantoms, Westone es80 and a18s. It’s the best listen I’ve had with all of these. The other caveat is like any dac it’s source dependent, you put crap in then you get slightly polished, but still crap out. As i mentioned in my previous post it pairs beautifully with the se100, probably the best dap paring I’ve heard with it. It takes the detailed neutral sound and gives injection of weight/ authority which reveals more detail, ads missing layering to the bass and brings a trade mark silliness to the mids into the treble. I know I sound like a chord
Fanboy, but I did listen to half a dozen dacs before buying it and just couldnt find another that came close up to my top budget of £4K gbp, so at £1800 it is expensive but nonetheless good value. The measure of it is I’ve had it nearly a year and haven’t had the slightest urge to even listen, let alone want to buy anything else. But I’ve rattled through 4 or 5 daps in the same time and come close to giving up on the search. Famous last words, but I might stick with the se100 for while :wink:

Thanks. I have sort of given up on daps. The SE100 did not come close to meeting my needs, and from everything I heard, the SP1000 is, at best, a modest upgrade. I don't need portability as much as transportability, i.e. something I can safely throw in my carryon. Do they really say "yards ahead" in England? It is "miles ahead" on this side of the pond.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #313 of 1,568
PS You know what would be nice. Some kind of system, like they have on Amazon, where everyone can rate products. That way people get a sense of the overall view without slugging through, in the case of the Hugo, literally hundreds of posts.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #314 of 1,568
Thanks. I have sort of given up on daps. The SE100 did not come close to meeting my needs, and from everything I heard, the SP1000 is, at best, a modest upgrade. I don't need portability as much as transportability, i.e. something I can safely throw in my carryon. Do they really say "yards ahead" in England? It is "miles ahead" on this side of the pond.[/QUOTE

If I didn’t need my phone battery for other work stuff id probably stick to using it with a dragon fly and the Hugo at home. And yes thanks for drawing the fact that I’ve unknowingly becoming my grandfather, people of certain age still say yards or a “country-mile” if it’s even better :wink:

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #315 of 1,568
Question to anyone who has used their SE-100 for more than 48 hours. Has the sound signature changed on your player after it completed the burn in period. I like the way my SE 100 sounds out of the box and I have put on around 10 hours of play time on it, but I am worried if it would sound different after 48 hours or more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back