Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Aug 28, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #376 of 1,568
That's exactly what I had to do. I bought the SE100, tested it, did more burn in, tested again, then compared with the SP1000. I was lucky to find another Head-Fi'er who wanted to sell his SP1000 so I jumped at it and immediately returned the SE100.
Its unfortunate because the SE100 is an impressive item overall. I still think for the price point its probably the best available. Its just too crispy/harsh for me (and I'm a resolution/detail fanatic). The real question -- if I didn't contrast it directly against the SP1000, would I still have found the SE100 unacceptable? Yes, but that may not be true for many listeners.
As always, YMMV.
How long did you burn it in for?

Aug 28, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #377 of 1,568
it may be true that people perceive sound slightly differently and its certainly true that everyone has different preferences. And therefore some people will prefer the sound of less expensive and less engineered products over more expensive products.
That said, objectively, some DAPs reproduce sound better than others. That's why professional reviewers use equipment and software to test output instead of relying only on their preferences and perceptions. Lower levels of distortion, higher uniformity throughout the frequency range, impedance levels that pair with a broader range of headphones....Some DAPs are absolutely better than others in that regard. They may not fit your particular needs, say for size, weight, UX, format support, pairing with certain headphones you already own, etc. You may need or prefer something else (or want to prefer something else).
For example, aesthetically, I think the SE100 has a great design. I like the offset angles, sharp edges, and its relatively low weight. But I like the heft and solidity of the SP100 even more. That's just my preference. But let's be clear -- sound reproduction can be objectively measured.

Nonsense. For all kinds of reasons...

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #379 of 1,568
Well I can tell you this: Conventional Wisdom says that mp3 files are inferior (and for good reason) to say, dsf or FLAC files. For the most part that is true for different reasons, but, I can play an mp3 for you that sounds phenomenal (Brian Wilson Pier Pressure, for example), and then play a dsf file that sounds mostly like crap (a certain Queen CD...),. I can also play a piece of equipment that has phenomenal specifications, yet just does not sound as good as another piece of equipment with less impressive specs, but better engineering that just SOUNDS better. You can say, solid state vs tubes, or you can think analogue source (record) vs. all digital (analogue 'sounds' better'), etc. But my point is specifications alone do not predict how a piece of equipment will SOUND.

Yes, all of this is my 'opinion', but it is so because I believe it to be true.

sorry if I came across as grumpy, but I'm at work and I'd rather be elsewhere listening to music...or sleeping...

Aug 28, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #380 of 1,568
After doing some digging, it seems like the SE100 is using chipset as shown below.

Exynos7420
Samsung Exynos 7420 processor

MAX17040
Fuel_Gauge

bq2589x
Battery Charger ICs

iLi9881c_hd
5 inch 720p LCD

BCM4356
Broadcom 5G Wireless 802.11ac

AK8157A
Multi-Clock Generator

es9038
ESS9038PRO DAC

si514
Silicon Labs Any Frequency General Purpose Oscillator (XO)

So, if the wireless chipset info is correct, why using the 2.4 GHz band only?

I personally think the 2.5mm balance output did not pair well with T8IE MKII, it sounds harsh in mid-treble and too much bass for me. I am not really sure is headphone's problem or AK did not do enough homework on tuning the balanced output. But the unbalanced output sounds really great for me so I will stick with it for now. Hopefully AK can release an update to unleash the 5g band capability and the fine tune balanced output.

I find the T8IE MKII's have too much bass if they are pushed to far into my ears. I found this to occur with my SE100 and my AK70. I switched to spinfit tips (purchased separately) that work better for me than the tips that came installed originally on the T8IE MKII's. I have not tried the T8IE MKII's with the Comply foam tips that also came in the box. I do all my listening with the 2.5mm balanced output and find it better than the unbalanced output.

Also, thanks for all the internal hardware info on the SE100.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #381 of 1,568
Agreed, sound quality is not totally dependant on media file type. My earlier point was that if you're measuring sound quality between devices, you can, in fact, isolate enough variables (including file version) to get an objective read on the output of the device. That said, even if one source (or speaker, cable, etc) produces an objectively more precise rendering of the original file, and of the original recording, it still may sound better to one listener than to another. So I suspect we're largely aligned in opinion.
To your point, I have many regular CD's that sound better than their DSF/DSD versions. Same for vinyl etc.

PS -- I'm very open to the fact that my original review of the SE100 was crap. It was not as objective or even as clearly written as I intended. But I do think it was worthwhile to compare them. There was significant interest amongst users/buyers of the SP1000, and I had actually used both of them. AK's marketing of the SE100's 'radically different sound', and the SE100's overall good performance, made the comparison worthwhile. There are some folks who just want to know the delta or difference between products so they know what they're giving up.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #382 of 1,568
Agreed, sound quality is not totally dependant on media file type. My earlier point was that if you're measuring sound quality between devices, you can, in fact, isolate enough variables (including file version) to get an objective read on the output of the device. That said, even if one source (or speaker, cable, etc) produces an objectively more precise rendering of the original file, and of the original recording, it still may sound better to one listener than to another. So I suspect we're largely aligned in opinion.
To your point, I have many regular CD's that sound better than their DSF/DSD versions. Same for vinyl etc.

PS -- I'm very open to the fact that my original review of the SE100 was crap. It was not as objective or even as clearly written as I intended. But I do think it was worthwhile to compare them. There was significant interest amongst users/buyers of the SP1000, and I had actually used both of them. AK's marketing of the SE100's 'radically different sound', and the SE100's overall good performance, made the comparison worthwhile. There are some folks who just want to know the delta or difference between products so they know what they're giving up.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. Rather sick, demented hobby we are involved in, eh?

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #383 of 1,568

I went through a pretty similar process, coming from a string of DAP-based disappointments i hoped the Se100 with its smartphone-esque operating speed/ UI and promising audio performance might provide a portable solution that could hold a a light to my home set up. The UI didn't disappoint, but sadly the SQ wasnt what i was looking for. I found it a little bright for my specific tastes, in the upper mid/lower treble, which is unfortunately where i have a sensitivity caused by work related noise damage. As i say this is very specific to my hearing and probably my IEMs a18t which can lean this way too with the wrong partners. Fortunately, i too have a local pusher/dealer :wink: who's always willing and able to lend me something more rarified as he know's 9/10 times he'll do alright out of it. So I auditioned the SP1000cu and as an after thought the Wm1z, expecting to walk away with a hot credit card and the AK. After 10 days with all 3, i did end up walking away with the predictably warm credit card, which less predictably was accompanied by a heavy yellow house brick with no connection to the outside streaming world, but which sounded simply stunning with my a18t ciem/ 1960s 2-wire set-up. The A18's are on occasions a too resolving and while sounding technically astounding, can be little clinical and soulless, this was slightly improved by the 1960 cable, but the 1z is real the clincher. In use with the a18s,I found the cu and se100 to a greater extent sounded too lean overall and forward in the mid to upper frequencies. Theres no arguing with the fact the CU has an incredible market leading mid/treble section only beaten by a 2K + Dac amp like the H2, but the overall presentation of the 1z with its slight warmth has freed a musical soul from the a18s which i'd begun to doubt was there, without losing any of its technical genius.

Apologies I've definitely drifted off point but i think what i was trying to say in desperately roundabout way, is that having taken similar journey, and despite ending up in a different destination, i nonetheless appreciated reading about and relate to your experience :)

Aug 28, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #384 of 1,568
Were the other dap's burned in tho? It seems to make a huge difference.

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #386 of 1,568
I went through a pretty similar process, coming from a string of DAP-based disappointments i hoped the Se100 with its smartphone-esque operating speed/ UI and promising audio performance might provide a portable solution that could hold a a light to my home set up. The UI didn't disappoint, but sadly the SQ wasnt what i was looking for. I found it a little bright for my specific tastes, in the upper mid/lower treble, which is unfortunately where i have a sensitivity caused by work related noise damage. As i say this is very specific to my hearing and probably my IEMs a18t which can lean this way too with the wrong partners. Fortunately, i too have a local pusher/dealer :wink: who's always willing and able to lend me something more rarified as he know's 9/10 times he'll do alright out of it. So I auditioned the SP1000cu and as an after thought the Wm1z, expecting to walk away with a hot credit card and the AK. After 10 days with all 3, i did end up walking away with the predictably warm credit card, which less predictably was accompanied by a heavy yellow house brick with no connection to the outside streaming world, but which sounded simply stunning with my a18t ciem/ 1960s 2-wire set-up. The A18's are on occasions a too resolving and while sounding technically astounding, can be little clinical and soulless, this was slightly improved by the 1960 cable, but the 1z is real the clincher. In use with the a18s,I found the cu and se100 to a greater extent sounded too lean overall and forward in the mid to upper frequencies. Theres no arguing with the fact the CU has an incredible market leading mid/treble section only beaten by a 2K + Dac amp like the H2, but the overall presentation of the 1z with its slight warmth has freed a musical soul from the a18s which i'd begun to doubt was there, without losing any of its technical genius.

Apologies I've definitely drifted off point but i think what i was trying to say in desperately roundabout way, is that having taken similar journey, and despite ending up in a different destination, i nonetheless appreciated reading about and relate to your experience :)

Totally agree with your synopsis -- the WM1Z is a nice pairing with the Fourte and U18t's. I was going to sell mine but instead I'm considering getting the Project K mod for the WM1Z. I want the reference-qualities of the SP1000 with the shapeable amp output of the WM1Z, and maybe the mod can accomplish that.

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:34 AM Post #387 of 1,568
Sibilant ....and that is from the DAP??

giphy.gif

I laughed during a group chat while reading that.
Good stuff. that kinda mush is why this thing is 1/2 dead in the water.

1. Price
2. Compare SP1000 and SE 100 both to 380 on official website (lol) watch folks contort their vocabulary to try and justify the $$$$.diff

Priceless comments in here.

Aug 29, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #389 of 1,568
Totally agree with your synopsis -- the WM1Z is a nice pairing with the Fourte and U18t's. I was going to sell mine but instead I'm considering getting the Project K mod for the WM1Z. I want the reference-qualities of the SP1000 with the shapeable amp output of the WM1Z, and maybe the mod can accomplish that.

Sibilant ....and that is from the DAP??

giphy.gif

I laughed during a group chat while reading that.
Good stuff. that kinda mush is why this thing is 1/2 dead in the water.

1. Price
2. Compare SP1000 and SE 100 both to 380 on official website (lol) watch folks contort their vocabulary to try and justify the $$$$.diff

Priceless comments in here.

And there was me thinking this was a safe place where i could talk freely about my addiction now matter how irrational :wink:

@mt-hifidelity i'll drop you a pm re the K-mod :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back