Astell & Kern SE100: A&futura Impressions - Reviews
Aug 24, 2018 at 11:49 PM Post #361 of 1,568
This is kind of what I was wondering. I wasn’t sure if the Dignis was worth the extra ~$50.

It depends on whether you are okay with spending a bit extra for a better looking case. While I think it is more protective than the Miter case it doesn’t offer double the protection.

Aug 25, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #363 of 1,568
It depends on whether you are okay with spending a bit extra for a better looking case. While I think it is more protective than the Miter case it doesn’t offer double the protection.

I think I would be. I bought a Dignis case for my Mojo and it’s fantastic. Maybe I’ll wait around and see if the end up having a refurbished one in the future.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:14 AM Post #365 of 1,568
do any of you guys use mojo with this DAP? if so what cable do you use? also noticed that it lacks a line out..

Micro usb to usb type c cable connected to se100 usb c port. The se100 should auto detect if not choose from drop down menu at the top of the screen :)

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #370 of 1,568
can someone kind enough suggest a good line out cable from moon audio that would work when connected to chord mojo?

You cannot use line out to Mojo as it’s a DAC, so only accepts a digital input.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #371 of 1,568
ok.think i misunderstood an earlier response..so the only way to connect the se100 to a chord mojo would be via its usb? if this is right, then i would need a usb c to micro usb to connect it to the chord mojo?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #372 of 1,568
After doing some digging, it seems like the SE100 is using chipset as shown below.

Exynos7420
Samsung Exynos 7420 processor

MAX17040
Fuel_Gauge

bq2589x
Battery Charger ICs

iLi9881c_hd
5 inch 720p LCD

BCM4356
Broadcom 5G Wireless 802.11ac

AK8157A
Multi-Clock Generator

es9038
ESS9038PRO DAC

si514
Silicon Labs Any Frequency General Purpose Oscillator (XO)

So, if the wireless chipset info is correct, why using the 2.4 GHz band only?

I personally think the 2.5mm balance output did not pair well with T8IE MKII, it sounds harsh in mid-treble and too much bass for me. I am not really sure is headphone's problem or AK did not do enough homework on tuning the balanced output. But the unbalanced output sounds really great for me so I will stick with it for now. Hopefully AK can release an update to unleash the 5g band capability and the fine tune balanced output.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #373 of 1,568
ok.think i misunderstood an earlier response..so the only way to connect the se100 to a chord mojo would be via its usb? if this is right, then i would need a usb c to micro usb to connect it to the chord mojo?

That's correct, just tried with my Hugo 2, USB C to Micro USB.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #374 of 1,568
I did another contrast/compare session with the SE100 and copper SP1000, this time using:
- JH Audio Layla CIEMs with the Silver Dragon v3 balanced cable
- 64 Audio U18t's with the Effect Audio Eros II 8 strand balanced cable
- Campfire Cascades with the balanced ALO Litz cable

In short, the SP1000 won out. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I just bought the SE100 and I admire it greatly. Unfortunately, sometimes the most expensive TOTL unit actually is the best one (for me anyway; YMMV).

First the good: the SE100 grabs your attention with clarity and punchy dynamics. On well-produced recordings it reveals a wonderful sense of space around each instrument and voice that few other daps can achieve. Compared to the SP1000, it's soundstage seems just as wide but a hair deeper, providing ample breathing room to discern excellent layering, separation, and imaging. The bass is potent with good texture and speed but not unnaturally so.

Certain tracks really popped out. Old standards such as BMarley & the Wailers' Easy Skanking, MJ's Wanna Be Starting Something, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, Fleetwood Mac's Dreams, and the newly remastered Sgt Pepper outtakes, are all many decades old but sounded utterly fresh on the SE100. Each percussive element occupied a distinct spot in 3D space. Every breath was palpable.

Unfortunately, along with that resolution and sense of space comes overly-crispy highs, slightly grainy upper mids, and a touch of sibilance. Yes, I tested with highly revealing IEMs and cables, but I also used the Campfire Cascade which is bassy and warmish. On 'Songbird' and 'You Make Loving Fun' by Fleetwood Mac, and 'Hotel California' (sigh) by The Eagles, which I often use for testing because I know them so well, I picked up previously unrecognized nuances and dimension. Then Christine McVie hit the high notes. There was a touch of screechiness. Slightly 'digital-ish' sounding. Moving to the SP1000, the nuances remained but the harshness disappeared. I went back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. Ever see the movie Sideways? Where the main character shows his friend how to approach wine-tasting, closing his eyes, fingers in ears, nose sniffing deeply into the glass? I was the audiophile version of the oenophile.

This is where the SP1000 shines. It can do just about everything the SE100 can do but without any sibilance or grain. It unleashes heaps of detail without harshness and without sounding overly digital. It has the SE100's resolving airy sound but is also smooth. That is no easy feat! It doesn't have the Sony WM1Z's warm liquid tone, but then again its not trying to. The SP1000 is clearly aiming for a more reference sound. Its clear & spacious, with extended highs and excellent bass slam just like the SE100. But with every track I tried it was never grainy, brittle, or processed-sounding. I must say, I was hooked.

I should note that the SE100 had about 15-20 hours of burn-in time whereas the SP1000 had at least 200 hours. I still think it was a fair test. The SE100 will relax a bit more when it hits 200 hours -- but just a bit.

I still admire the SE100. Its minor deficiencies, which are absolutely minor, wouldn't be as noticeable if I hadn't done this recent pepsi challenge with the SP1000. But they are still there.

To sum up, I'm returning the SE100 this week and getting the SP1000 cu.

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #375 of 1,568
Considering the SP1000 costs almost $2000 more than the SE100, I find this review bizarre... (With all due respect...).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back