Astell&Kern, or Astell and Kern, AK PA 10 portable headphone amplifier impressions, comments, or general discussion
Mar 23, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #541 of 589
Ordered a bicycle mount rubber to attach my hiby to my PA10 works great :) still waiting for my 4.4mm to 4.4mm so I can run everything balanced....
1000013177.jpg
1000013178.jpg

Mar 23, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #544 of 589
pa10 does the heavy lifting in this combo with ca1k and z1r.

20240323_220214.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #546 of 589
Does it sound better than stright out of the ca1000?
Objective no, subjectively yes.

ca1k is much more powerful (15 Vrms max vs 6.2 Vrms max on pa10) with four gain levels. it's more accurate with better separation, macro dynamics swing and stronger attack. on its own, ca1k sounds neutral cold and sharp.

on the other hand, pa10 has current levels (which ca1k does not). it's thicker, smoother, and gives music a good fluid flow. mellow sweetness of neutral warm pa10 does well to tame ca1k's sharpness to produce addictive sound that's high in technicalities and pleasant in tonality.

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #548 of 589
What cable is that you're using with IE600? Is it better than stock cable? And 4,4 balanced cable is?

It is an Effect Audio Cadmus 4 wire with additional MMCX ConX connectors and yes it is 4.4mm.

I hated the stock cables and actually only used them briefly before throwing them in the rubbish.

The Cadmus is much nicer handling and has firm but flexible heat shrink ear hooks not the awful memory wire ones like the stock cable.

I don’t believe cables make any difference to sound and I certainly haven’t heard any difference, I change cables for looks, handling and a bit more pride of ownership, the Effect Audio fits the bill for me.

Mar 29, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #549 of 589
I'm analyzing a possible purchase of the PA10.

I have desktop amplifiers that power my headphones and I'm happy with them.
So my use of the PA10 will be primarily with Iems.
In addition to some dongles, Mojo 2 and small Daps, I have the IBasso DX300 with the amp11 mkII and wanted to bring something theoretically different to try with my IEMs.

I read a little in this thread that the PA10 may offer some kind of hiss with possible sensitive IEMs.

For my specific use case with Iems, I ask if the IBasso Amp12, which is also class A, would put something new on the table and what difference I would get with the PA10 being powered by the IBasso DX300 in line-out.

The difference in price between the amp12 and the PA10 is considerable and as my use will be specific to IEMs, I wonder if it would be worth the investment.

If anyone has had a use case like this and can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #550 of 589
I'm analyzing a possible purchase of the PA10.

I have desktop amplifiers that power my headphones and I'm happy with them.
So my use of the PA10 will be primarily with Iems.
In addition to some dongles, Mojo 2 and small Daps, I have the IBasso DX300 with the amp11 mkII and wanted to bring something theoretically different to try with my IEMs.

I read a little in this thread that the PA10 may offer some kind of hiss with possible sensitive IEMs.

For my specific use case with Iems, I ask if the IBasso Amp12, which is also class A, would put something new on the table and what difference I would get with the PA10 being powered by the IBasso DX300 in line-out.

The difference in price between the amp12 and the PA10 is considerable and as my use will be specific to IEMs, I wonder if it would be worth the investment.

If anyone has had a use case like this and can help, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
It is certainly true that the class A amplifier to be associated with the DX300 costs much less, but its use would remain confined to that dap and if you thought of selling the DX300, its amplifier you would almost have to give it away. The PA10, on the other hand, has a use that transcends the DX300 and you can use it with all the dongles you have and will purchase. Before ordering the PA10 I purchased and still use the RA2BFE today and the improvements that this amplifier brought to my use with the iem pushed me to also get the PA10. In addition to this, I'm dying to try the PA10 in combination with the AKHC4 also from Astell & Kern. From what I understand by reading this thread, the PA10 is nothing more than the separate version with more power than the one present in the SP3000, which shares the Teraton Alfa technology and this was enough to convince me to proceed with its purchase.

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #551 of 589
Interesting thought!!
In fact, the PA10 will give me many possibilities to listen to some different sound signatures depending on the Dap or dongle that is connected to it.
It would also be my first Astell&Kern product.
I'm curious to hear the A&K sound.
I will analyze the purchase of this PA10. Maybe I have to try.

But regarding the hissing with some IEMs. I don't experience hissing on the DX300 with the amp11 MKII and I believe it would be the same with the amp12, or at least according to some reviews I read of the amp12.

With the PA10, I wouldn't have good usability with 100% of my IEMs because of the hissing that I read from some people's reports.

Do these whistles interfere with listening or will they not harm the listening experience on the PA10?

Mar 29, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #552 of 589
Interesting thought!!
In fact, the PA10 will give me many possibilities to listen to some different sound signatures depending on the Dap or dongle that is connected to it.
It would also be my first Astell&Kern product.
I'm curious to hear the A&K sound.
I will analyze the purchase of this PA10. Maybe I have to try.

But regarding the hissing with some IEMs. I don't experience hissing on the DX300 with the amp11 MKII and I believe it would be the same with the amp12, or at least according to some reviews I read of the amp12.

With the PA10, I wouldn't have good usability with 100% of my IEMs because of the hissing that I read from some people's reports.

Do these whistles interfere with listening or will they not harm the listening experience on the PA10?
I read in your signature that you have the Andromeda so the hiss problem could certainly arise as it happens to me between the Mest MKII and the RA2BFE. But nothing that can't be solved by using this one which doesn't change the sound at all and adds a few ohms to the IEMs. I've been using it for some time and it's well done because it doesn't reduce the dynamics or the harmonics of the IEMs as happens with other solutions (ifi ie match for example or poor quality adapters)

https://store.hiby.com/products/balanced-impedance-adapter

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #553 of 589
Thank you very much for this valuable tip!! I didn't know about this Hiby adapter. I'll definitely put him on my radar. I feel like purchasing the PA10 is closer than far.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #554 of 589
It is certainly true that the class A amplifier to be associated with the DX300 costs much less, but its use would remain confined to that dap and if you thought of selling the DX300, its amplifier you would almost have to give it away. The PA10, on the other hand, has a use that transcends the DX300 and you can use it with all the dongles you have and will purchase. Before ordering the PA10 I purchased and still use the RA2BFE today and the improvements that this amplifier brought to my use with the iem pushed me to also get the PA10. In addition to this, I'm dying to try the PA10 in combination with the AKHC4 also from Astell & Kern. From what I understand by reading this thread, the PA10 is nothing more than the separate version with more power than the one present in the SP3000, which shares the Teraton Alfa technology and this was enough to convince me to proceed with its purchase.
I don't want to go off topic, but I'm curious what you think of the HC4 compared to other dongles.
I have some dongles and none of them have an AKM chip.
I'm curious about HC4.
Can it compete with the DC-elite, RU7 or Ifi GOLD bar in terms of price/performance?

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:32 AM Post #555 of 589
I don't want to go off topic, but I'm curious what you think of the HC4 compared to other dongles.
I have some dongles and none of them have an AKM chip.
I'm curious about HC4.
Can it compete with the DC-elite, RU7 or Ifi GOLD bar in terms of price/performance?
The Elite is the best dongle on the market right now and thats by quite a margin.
It actually competes with daps from 1-1,5k price bracket.
It completely doesnt sound like a dongle, more like a mid class desktop setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back